• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Najee Harris, what do the Steelers do with him when he becomes a free agent?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Steelers have a couple more seasons before making a painful, and maybe awful decision with Najee.

The last 14 SB winners featured RBs that had base salaries <= $2.5M. This means the Steelers should look to draft his replacement in Yr4 at the latest if they are managing smartly.

Some fans who think Harris is getting a second contact well beyond this amount are living in a fantasy world. I'd trade him if possible for a second round pick while he has some value in the eyes of a bad GM.

xjx

Reaction score
He will be too expensive. Trade him while value is high.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Some fans who think Harris is getting a second contact well beyond this amount are living in a fantasy world. I'd trade him if possible for a second round pick while he has some value in the eyes of a bad GM.
You should see if Cleveland will give us two number 1s after the trade deadline.

Just a friendly reminder to our agenda driven poster that the Steelers won't be drafting a QB or RB high in the draft.

I now return you to your agenda filled station. Thank you and don't come again.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
That's three years off so I'm not going to worry about it. I'd franchise tag him for a year if he's still good, then let him walk. It's a passing league and RB's are an afterthought.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Running backs will come,
and running backs will go,
The Steelers will handle it as poorly,
as your luxury sedan handles the snow.

Spell check and grammar check is included for free; you should use it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That's three years off so I'm not going to worry about it. I'd franchise tag him for a year if he's still good, then let him walk. It's a passing league and RB's are an afterthought.

This right here, RBs are easily replaced and not worth the “CAP” commitment the player will want. Sorry Najee, 1st round RB picks are way to high cost to keep and very replaceable vs the cost.

Najee will not be the feature back as this is by far a passing league. Sure he can be very relevant but similar to the Titans, not relevant enough to get to the promise land.

If the STEELERS were going to full time “run” type offense then they wouldn’t be stocking as many skill positions as they have and be more focused on the OL run blocking, which has been half-***-ed for quite some time now.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I would never take a rb in the 1st round. But we are stuck with him for a few years. Hopefully he understands the position and signs a cheap 2nd contract
The key will be mitigating his risk with a favorable long term deal and then load managing him. That is the key to it working. And I believe it could. He exchanges full value for risk loss. If he isn't signed after next season it will have some similarities to Bell though I think Najee us a better person with a better head on his shoulders.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
You should see if Cleveland will give us two number 1s after the trade deadline.

Just a friendly reminder to our agenda driven poster that the Steelers won't be drafting a QB or RB high in the draft.

I now return you to your agenda filled station. Thank you and don't come again.

High is the draft as in round one or two, I agree with you Slashvag unless a top draft prospect falls to us. I will come and go when I wish, not when you say.

Too late Cleveland already gave up a lot for Watson who did not look good last year. We should have traded Bell If / when we had the chance don't you think?

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Trade him if you can, I guess. I just think that this is not in the picture. He won't be getting the highest contract in RB history, and he has to know that.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
High is the draft as in round one or two, I agree with you Slashvag unless a top draft prospect falls to us. I will come and go when I wish, not when you say.

Too late Cleveland already gave up a lot for Watson who did not look good last year. We should have traded Bell If / when we had the chance don't you think?
You still can. You can contact Mr. Rooney and get it done. I have faith that you can accomplish this task.

Also tell them you will be sending them an itemized list after the draft on who you would have selected.

You just might be our next GM. Your future is now grab your opportunity and run with it.

Or just run whichever.

Oh and (RB/QB) not in round 1 or 2 or 3 or 4. Not at all.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

you can drop this as it's nearly a decade old. you continue to conveniently forget that Bell was a key cog in that offense.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't know the number I would have to do a deep dive into it but I'm sure there is a number out there. but just for ***** and giggles you gave him 30 million mostly guaranteed on a three year extension beyond next season instead of option year. I think he could be good for 4 or 5 more years. Don't bother critiquing the amount. Pulled it out of left field. but you get the drift.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
build a dominate o-line and everything will fall into place.
Maybe so, but I think there is something to be said for the complete back Run, block, catch who holds on to the ball. I think Najee is one of those players and I can come up with three worse picks in the first round in the last ten years with zero effort.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Meh 4 years on a rookie deal, the option, then if warranted, a franchise tag twice and then he is probably done or close to it anyway… rb franchise tags are usually less than 5% of the cap… even when it climbs up to 300 million in a few years, you probably see RBs in the 13-14 million range for a tag

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
You let him walk and find another somewhere in the middle of the draft. Prioritize the OL and we won't need to waste a first round pick on an RB again.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a luxury s10, not a sedan. If you are writing a blues tune it's luxury s10, cadillac or lincoln.

****-ing hilarious, and I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You let him walk and find another somewhere in the middle of the draft. Prioritize the OL and we won't need to waste a first round pick on an RB again.

My sentiments exactly. Invest heavily in the trenches and everything else becomes easier.

Salute the nation

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

Meh. We probably could get Cleveland's 2030,2031 and 2032 first rounders. It will be a steal. Make it happen Omar!!!!!

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Meh. We probably could get Cleveland's 2030,2031 and 2032 first rounders. It will be a steal. Make it happen Coach.!!!!!!

I get your meaning........... !!!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I'd look for a trade. If he can finish a season above 4.0 YPC, then I'd consider using a transition or franchise tag once or twice. Most running backs aren't worth second contracts, especially volume producers.