• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

National Championship Semi-Final Games

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
Sevenisheaven, the body of work shows PSU played 1 more game than did OSU. It was also a conference game so that means they also had 1 more conference win also.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Sevenisheaven, the body of work shows PSU played 1 more game than did OSU. It was also a conference game so that means they also had 1 more conference win also.
I don't care for either team really, I do hate OSU, but it seemed to me that OSU almost benefitted from NOT even making its conference title game

Troglodyte

Reaction score
That all being said you have to be an idiot to say PSU should be in over Ohio State. The argument who is hottest at the end is a retarded one. It's a body of work and it always is and always will be.

You have to be an idiot to think that being the champion of the toughest conference in the country isn't part of a team's body of work.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
You have to be an idiot to think that being the champion of the toughest conference in the country isn't part of a team's body of work.

Penn State isn't part of the SEC.

Urban Meyer should be fired for having no integrity. He once said that if you don't win your conference you shouldn't play for a national title. He therefore should have turned down Ohio States playoff birth.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Sure shoved what this committee thought right up their back sides. Big Ten has been shoved down our throats by media and the experts...yet a team wins head on head game as well as that big important championship game gets left out...31---a big 0.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Its just why i hate the unstructured aspect of the NCAA FB.... Just set rules, not guidelines ... if people get ****** by the rules... guess what... that how sports works... this is kind of like Penn State scored more points in a game but Ohio State outplayed them so they just give them the win anyhow... it was wrong, and the end results were appropriately embarrassing.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't believe anyone was gonna stop an Alabama-Clemson rematch this year. Definitely the two best teams in the nation.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if Penn State should have been in or not, but Ohio State shouldn't have been there. That was embarrassing. As much as I hate Ohio State, I felt bad for them. Their offense flat out sucks.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Before I start here is a disclaimer.....I ******* hate Ohio State. My wife went to PSU and a few of my family members. I also went to a school that didn't have college basketball so for much of my life I didn't have a team but slowly I'm adopting PSU as my team.

That all being said you have to be an idiot to say PSU should be in over Ohio State. The argument who is hottest at the end is a retarded one. It's a body of work and it always is and always will be. You can't say oh those first two games don't mean anything now you have your **** together when other teams were strong from the start. Every game counts and it should. You want to play in the playoff? Win more games than anyone else and stop crying about it. Penn State lost two games so stop crying about this and that Jesus. The reason they got in the conference championship is through a tie breaker by getting help at the end of the season and in the end tied with the team that were beating them the whole game until they returned a blocked field goal for a TD late in the fourth at home during a white out. A wins a win but seriously PSU homers they didn't deserve to be in over OSU. Body of work over 12/13 games cry babies accept it. If they played thirty games one or two losses would mean squat but when you play 12 every loss is magnified and yes they did get crushed by Michigan. BTW PSU would get crushed by Alabama and Clemson too. They are in a different league. It's no coincidence the championship game is a rematch.

Here's the issue with your argument. The NCAA scrapped the old BCS system because it only picked 2 teams and it was flawed. It went almost solely by record and whether you played in the SEC or not. It was decided that a 4 team playoff was needed and instead of going by the old formula, it was also decided that there should be a committee that picks the 4 "best" teams.

The whole point of the committee was to look beyond just record and computer rankings and apply the "eyeball test" to pick the 4 best teams regardless of record or even conference championship. They were supposed to watch all the games and pick the 4 teams.

The committee already disregarded record by not even considering Western Michigan, who is undefeated.

Penn State wasn't just a hot team. That's not the argument. They hit their stride and started dominating teams. They blew out Iowa, who beat MIchigan a few games later. PSU blew out Michigan State who OSU struggled to beat. Penn State also Wisconsin in impressive fashion. OSU needed OT to beat them.

Ohio State rode an early season win vs Oklahoma into the playoffs. Funny how that was held up as the best win of the season but at the same time, the committee didn't even consider Oklahoma for a playoff spot.

Anybody who actually watched Ohio State play in November knew they were a team in decline. Their OL is not great, their QB lost confidence. They had only 1 playmaker on offense and he was a role player.

The argument for Penn State is simply that the committe showed themselves to be frauds. They are still going by an old BCS style thinking which rewards the preseason favorites and will never consider the teams that come out of nowhere like Penn State or Western Michigan.

I had more of a problem with Washington getting in ahead of PSU than Ohio State. At least Ohio State had wins on paper. Washington's only decent win was against a vastly overrated Colorado team whose QB was injured.