• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Negative comments about Mason Rudolph

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Yes Ben was surrounded with talent and the rookie went undefeated all the way to the AFCCG with them. I don't care how many yds, tds or ints Mason has, he won't come close to matching Ben's first season. Looking at Mason so far, he looks like he's going to be good. Looking at Ben at the same point in his career you could see he was going to be great.
Funny how you make a comment. You qualify it like three or maybe four timee and still people read what they want. So I will shout. MASON RUDOLPH IN ALL LIKELIHOOD WILL NOT BE CLOSE TO THE QB BEN ROETHLISBERGER IS OR WAS. What I'm saying is we have no idea what Rudolph is because like Ben's first year he is being handcuffed for the good of the team. I believe the term Tomlin used is overexposed. Anyone remember the '05 SB when things were going bad. Cowher to Whiz. We have to let the kid play. That was after a one loss season and a trip to the SB. They were still managing him. If I was going to guess I'd say Mason is going to be a journeyman or a starter who can win you games with his play. Which like I said is good enough if he is the latter.

deljzc

Reaction score
I have no problem with Rudolph.

Compared to all the other mid-round QB selections Colbert has made, Rudolph is a home run.

I think you can win with Rudolph if there weren't so many other issues with the coaching/team and he gets time to develop. Maybe he's a Kirk Cousins type. Maybe he's a Derek Carr type. Maybe he's never going to be in the top-5 or top-10 QB's in the league and is that "2nd tier" group.

But you can be really competitive with those guys if you keep their salaries down and invest in the rest of the team and have good coaching. Nick Foles beat New England because the whole team was smart and played together. It can happen.

Is it going to be Ben Roethlisberger era where every game you get a play you shake your head in amazement? No. But the kid makes good throws and has an NFL arm.

But in order to make that work, you have to have an attitude to be the smarter team and Tomlin isn't that guy. He is too enamored with "splash plays" and that's not what Rudolph will be good at.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I don't see anyone saying to bench Rudolph, or to go find someone else, or even anyone saying the guy is a bum, cut him now.

He may be our next long term QB, thus the comparisons to our last long term QB. And it's ok to say he's not on Ben's level as a first year starter, that doesn't mean Rudolph can't win games.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I have no problem with Rudolph.

Compared to all the other mid-round QB selections Colbert has made, Rudolph is a home run.

I think you can win with Rudolph if there weren't so many other issues with the coaching/team and he gets time to develop. Maybe he's a Kirk Cousins type. Maybe he's a Derek Carr type. Maybe he's never going to be in the top-5 or top-10 QB's in the league and is that "2nd tier" group.

But you can be really competitive with those guys if you keep their salaries down and invest in the rest of the team and have good coaching. Nick Foles beat New England because the whole team was smart and played together. It can happen.

Is it going to be Ben Roethlisberger era where every game you get a play you shake your head in amazement? No. But the kid makes good throws and has an NFL arm.

But in order to make that work, you have to have an attitude to be the smarter team and Tomlin isn't that guy. He is too enamored with "splash plays" and that's not what Rudolph will be good at.

I think if you use him similar to how cheats use lady, he can be a consistently winning QB.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It was pretty unbelievable and rare to watch Ben's first season and beyond. I'm not comparing them at all. Different teams, coaches, NFL, etc. I guess that reminds me of people who at first anyway argued that Ben would be no TB. Hell, TB was one of my heroes. I didn't try to compare them either. Different teams, coaches, NFL...they are all unique in their own styles and abilities. All I know I've been on board with all three of them from the start! I remember Terry getting booed, people who bitched and moaned about the gunslinger and now the over-the-top expectations of Mason. Steeler fans. Jeez.

You nailed it Steelin. Most of these "high" expectation fans are certified "madden football" Qbs / coaches. Because they can just sub in whoever they want and if fail, just sub in the next. Never any development patience in the video game so why would we need that in real life game.........!

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I don't see anyone saying to bench Rudolph, or to go find someone else, or even anyone saying the guy is a bum, cut him now.

He may be our next long term QB, thus the comparisons to our last long term QB. And it's ok to say he's not on Ben's level as a first year starter, that doesn't mean Rudolph can't win games.

I think most of those comments were from coach, who has basically been saying he is a bum and we need to bench him for duck...

I also don’t think anyone expects him to be a hof type... we are just pointing out that hof types need development too... and that the other qbs in his age group are mostly doing worse than he is...

I think this year is a wonderful opportunity to see how much he has to offer...

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think people can accurately predict who is a HOF caliber player based on a few games. That would be pretty arrogant IMHO. Similar to how people couldnt have predicted my career outlook based on high school.

ianv2012

Reaction score
let's remember too that the great OL that Ben had didn't last long, then Colon, Kemo and the rest of the bad news bears had to man those positions and yet Ben almost beat Green Bay in the SB despite them.

My only point on this post is that Ben is a great QB and is unfair to compare Rudolph to him either. The kid has some great numbers for a guy in his 2nd season after a red shirted rookie year.

I'm pretty sure we've been talking about Ben's first couple years in the league, and as a rookie Colon and Kemo we're not there yet. The offensive line in 2004 had pro bowlers in Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, and Hartings who was a good C. The next season when they won the Superbowl they had Smith, Faneca (Pro bowl year again), Hartings (pro bowl season), Kendall Simmons before his regression due to diabetes, and Max Starks. So I don't know why you're trying to pigeon hole that duct tape oline from half way into his career when we've been clearly discussing Ben's earliest years in comparison to Rudolph. Ben's oline was good early on

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think people can accurately predict who is a HOF caliber player based on a few games. That would be pretty arrogant IMHO. Similar to how people couldnt have predicted my career outlook based on high school.

WHAT!!! Are you saying that my assumption on this one post of yours could be wrong............. The assumption being " worldly guru who has made $$$millions$$$ only to have squandered it on betting the turtle races"

Even in BEN's third year one couldn't predict the outcome of his career. It's easy looking back and stating "HOF" quarterback. I see Rudolf making headway and getting better and better. I do support him in that I hope he is HOF material just as every STEELERS player to come through the roster. We'd be arrogant as hell to not but also arrogant as hell to expect HOF careers from each and every player that's been roster-ed. Mason's arrow is pointing up at this stage in his career and I for one hope it continues that way. Have a great day !!!

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we've been talking about Ben's first couple years in the league, and as a rookie Colon and Kemo we're not there yet. The offensive line in 2004 had pro bowlers in Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, and Hartings who was a good C. The next season when they won the Superbowl they had Smith, Faneca (Pro bowl year again), Hartings (pro bowl season), Kendall Simmons before his regression due to diabetes, and Max Starks. So I don't know why you're trying to pigeon hole that duct tape oline from half way into his career when we've been clearly discussing Ben's earliest years in comparison to Rudolph. Ben's oline was good early on

BEN also had a VERY good coach who kept him disciplined and focused with-in the game. EARLY ON

Salute the nation

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
There has been a lot of broad brush criticisms in this post, and nothing that actually describes what he does on the field. Here's what I see specifically:

He is pocket mobile and keeps his eyes downfield. This makes him tough to bring down, it extends plays, and he makes plays doing this. This part of his game is very Benesque. He'll get into trouble sometimes from this because he's not as hard to bring down as Ben, but thus far, it's a great wrinkle to have.

He got better in the second half doing what all good QBs do: putting the ball in a spot for your WR to make plays. The jump ball to JuJu on the TD vs a short corner, was a great read and JuJu made the play. Hitting DJ on the back shoulder to gain a big first down. This is a play that vet QBs make, and usually not QBs just starting out.

He's smart and knows where the check down is every time. Ben would forget the checkdown, and wouldn't look at them until someone was around his waist. This is an extension to him progressing through his reads, which he is light years ahead of Ben at that point in his career.

He showed poise on an 8 man blitz, to deliver a perfect slant to DJ on the long TD to end the half. Most young QBs would freeze up at an all out blitz. Rudolph kept his eyes up, immediately saw the hot read, and hit it under duress.

The first half he looked bad. He wasn't up to the speed of the game, and was throwing timidly. The second half, we came back because of his arm. how many times did we get behind on a holding call with 2nd/3rd and 20, and he bailed this team out? 3 at least. Possibly 4. Dude needs to start getting some credit around here, because I see a franchise caliber QB.

His negatives are throwing off his back foot, he has no power. So unless he's hitting a safety valve, I don't want to see it.

Pouncey getting thrown back into his face a few times, didn't help him out. And it wasn't foot mechanics, it was him backing up because his line wasn't holding the pocket.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

I think you just didn't read where I said "didn't last long" as 3 years isn't long at all. I'm not pigeon holing anything, just calling it as it was, he had a good Oline for his first couple of years and then had to get to survival mode

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Wow, I keep hearing very negative comments about Rudolph, not just here but the NFL network, ESPN, etc. "Looks like a career backup," "Hesitant," "Not a QB you want to rely on late in the game," etc.

Huh. So I thought I might compare a couple of QB's from the 2018 draft:

QB 1: 7 starts, 63% completion, 1650 yards, 11 TD's, 5 Int., 7.7 YPA, 94.1 QB Rating
QB 2: 4 starts, 62% completion, 817 yards, 5 TD's, 8 Int., 6.1 YPA, 66.2 QB Rating
QB 3: 4 starts, 64% completion, 897 yards, 9 TD's, 3 Int., 6.9 YPA, 97.5 QB Rating

Huhh. Lookee there. The "career backup" and "not the guy you want late in a game" seems to be, oh, I don't know, OUTPLAYING TWO SUPPOSED "FRANCHISE" QB's WHO NEED TO WIPE ANNOUNCER SALIVA OFF THEIR PECKERS - Lamar "Interception" Jackson and Sam "I Suck but am so Franchisee" Darnold.

"Oh, but Jackson is such a good runner ..." Oh, **** that. He is a QB, not a running back. He had an amazing first week, but since then? 6 games, 1326 yards (220 yards per game), 6 TD's, 5 Int., 80.8 QB rating. Darn good ... for a QB in 1972 or a running back.

I agree with the media on Rudolph. He looks like a solid back up game manager type, not a future starter to build a team around. His arm is weak in terms of velocity, and he has to put too much air under it to go deep, which is why he had many close calls. He can't zip it between defenders. He has issues hitting receivers on the move as well.

Look-- He's got a top defense producing turnovers for him. I think he works hard, but his ceiling for improvement is on the low side. It's rare to lose games when you are on the + side for turnovers. Rudolph has two NFL wins, both are winless teams at the mid mark of the season. I see a backup. Better than Landry Jones, but not as good as Charlie Batch. Ben MUST come back, otherwise, it's over for the Steelers for years until they find a good quarterback.

On Lamar Jackson, it pains me to say this, but he's at least an average NFL starter when you factor in his running ability and will remain so until he gets hurt and has to change his running style The Ravens have good coaching, they know how to build a game plan and call the right plays for him. I thought Jackson was too dim-witted and inaccurate to play well at QB.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I agree with the media on Rudolph. He looks like a solid back up game manager type, not a future starter to build a team around. His arm is weak in terms of velocity, and he has to put too much air under it to go deep, which is why he had many close calls. He can't zip it between defenders. He has issues hitting receivers on the move as well.

Look-- He's got a top defense producing turnovers for him. I think he works hard, but his ceiling for improvement is on the low side. It's rare to lose games when you are on the + side for turnovers. Rudolph has two NFL wins, both are winless teams at the mid mark of the season. I see a backup. Better than Landry Jones, but not as good as Charlie Batch. Ben MUST come back, otherwise, it's over for the Steelers for years until they find a good quarterback.

On Lamar Jackson, it pains me to say this, but he's at least an average NFL starter when you factor in his running ability and will remain so until he gets hurt and has to change his running style The Ravens have good coaching, they know how to build a game plan and call the right plays for him. I thought Jackson was too dim-witted and inaccurate to play well at QB.
I totally disagree. I would say he has some cleanup on his footwork but a good QB coach with a season of film can help that. But he has made some driving throws on third and long into windows. One last week to Washington when they were backed up was huge. I was at the five turnover game in SF. He made TD plays to Juju and Johnson that took the lead twice. Only to have the defense surrender a TD on the next drive. The defense is definitely better but they are not without issue.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

Your lack of analysis of the QB position is the only thing that I can see from your post, you just repeat things you read from others from "the media", how can you give a complete analysis from a guy that comes from a concussion that literally knocked his lights off?

So he didn't hit some throws in stride, but he did hit some others, as the DJ TD proves so saying that he Can't is bullshit. Saying his arm is weak "in terms of velocity" is a pile of crap too as he threw a couple of lasers that day. He might be putting too much air in to some but that's lack of touch after 3 weeks out, you have to give him time to adjust, not call him a career back up after so little time as the starter.

I guess 15 minutes of tape is enough to get your valuable insights ...

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Your lack of analysis of the QB position is the only thing that I can see from your post, you just repeat things you read from others from "the media", how can you give a complete analysis from a guy that comes from a concussion that literally knocked his lights off?

So he didn't hit some throws in stride, but he did hit some others, as the DJ TD proves so saying that he Can't is bullshit. Saying his arm is weak "in terms of velocity" is a pile of crap too as he threw a couple of lasers that day. He might be putting too much air in to some but that's lack of touch after 3 weeks out, you have to give him time to adjust, not call him a career back up after so little time as the starter.

I guess 15 minutes of tape is enough to get your valuable insights ...

Let me laugh some, come answer these questions and we'll see who knows what they are talking about. Yes his arm is average at best. Many say so. Who said he has a strong arm? No one I read! Can't you see the lack of arm on the sideline throws?

1 ) Do you think Rudolph is a long term answer at QB for the Steelers?

2 ) Where among the starting 32 QB would you slot him?

I have seen full NFL games on him. Things like accuracy hitting moving targets, release, and velocity on throws 10 or more yards down the field he just doesn't have to starting NFL QB standards. He's not a running QB either, and I think he's fumble prone. What exactly does he do well?

I'm seeing three rookies playing better, and 2nd years QB's looking better. He's a decent back up. If he can beat the Colts without the defense playing a major role, then he'll show something he hasn't.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I totally disagree. I would say he has some cleanup on his footwork but a good QB coach with a season of film can help that. But he has made some driving throws on third and long into windows. One last week to Washington when they were backed up was huge. I was at the five turnover game in SF. He made TD plays to Juju and Johnson that took the lead twice. Only to have the defense surrender a TD on the next drive. The defense is definitely better but they are not without issue.

And he's also lucky he hasn't been picked more than he has. His footwork will never be good. We are punting a lot this season. Rudy is a reason why. The defense has a top pass rush and playmakers in the secondary, they help him.

The Steelers have a lot of talent around him on both side of the ball.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
And he's also lucky he hasn't been picked more than he has. His footwork will never be good. We are punting a lot this season. Rudy is a reason why. The defense has a top pass rush and playmakers in the secondary, they help him.

What about his footwork specifically isn't good?

ianv2012

Reaction score

Moron

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Let me laugh some, come answer these questions and we'll see who knows what they are talking about. Yes his arm is average at best. Many say so. Who said he has a strong arm? No one I read! Can't you see the lack of arm on the sideline throws?

I have seen full NFL games on him. Things like accuracy hitting moving targets, release, and velocity on throws 10 or more yards down the field he just doesn't have to starting NFL QB standards. He's not a running QB either, and I think he's fumble prone. What exactly does he do well?

I'm seeing three rookies playing better, and 2nd years QB's looking better. He's a decent back up. If he can beat the Colts without the defense playing a major role, then he'll show something he hasn't.

1) I think it's too early to tell, his play til now shows it's a possibility

2) Does it matter? Definitely above every other QB of his draft except Jackson, whose specialty is running and that won't last too long.

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score

You can foresee his entire career reading the future of his footwork shortcomings? Wow. You must be psychic...or psycho.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Seems Mason is playing not to lose games. When we fall behind he isnt afraid to open up and toss the ball down the field. Whether this is him or the OC is what needs to be determined. If it is Mason it is the OC to help him with this and call plays to expand his game. If this is our OC decision he needs to start calling a better game plan.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score

2 ) Where among the starting 32 QB would you slot him?middle of the pack.

Better play calling and better separation by receivers. He takes the easy throw often. He got spooked after the deflected int. He is capable of going down field what we need is more mid range calls for him and better routes. I don’t see the negatives you are seeing. I see a young man who will continue to grow if he doesn’t get ruined by bad play calls and jackasses putting to much pressure on him.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Better play calling and better separation by receivers. He takes the easy throw often. He got spooked after the deflected int. He is capable of going down field what we need is more mid range calls for him and better routes. I don’t see the negatives you are seeing. I see a young man who will continue to grow if he doesn’t get ruined by bad play calls and jackasses putting to much pressure on him.

And any type of running game would help out a bunch also.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score

**** sake. How many NFL starts has he had.

Do I see him, donno. He and or the OC are pissing me off. I love checkdowns but god damn you gotta go downfield sometimes (not bombs just down field).

I’ll say this. If the season goes to ****. I wanna see both MR and duck.