• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Neither Butler nor Tomlin is calling this defense.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Tomlin carries nothing. Butler has a golf score card in his hand. No one can remember that many calls. It's impossible.

• Haha
Reactions: MTC

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
They've basically been running the same defense since Tomlin's been with the Steelers.

It really isn't that difficult to believe that he and Butler have memorized most of the calls by now.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
They've basically been running the same defense since Tomlin's been with the Steelers.

It really isn't that difficult to believe that he and Butler have memorized most of the calls by now.
I think its pretty hard to believe. This isn't JV. They probably have 60-70 calls. And they are down and distance based. Plus there was nothing in Butlers body language (attention) when they were in defense that tells me he is calling.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm calling BS. We haven't been at full strength for quite some time on defense.

Yes, we have issue but we just beat the top squad in the AFCN. The defense showed up when they needed to.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm calling BS. We haven't been at full strength for quite some time on defense.

Yes, we have issue but we just beat the top squad in the AFCN. The defense showed up when they needed to.

I agree with this statement, no the trick will be to see if they can do it two games in a row................... Doesn't matter who is actually calling the D or not, what does matter is results on the field and health contributes to that.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
TJ WATT is fully healthy as he showed it today. He was also against a slow read QB who runs more than passes.

Several players brought their A-game....... wormely anyone ???

What about Snell, he took full dose and actually produced.

Ben was on it in more ways then one.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It is unbelievable how much the presence of Watt, Heyward, and Fitzpatrick elevate the rest of this defense. You miss one of those guys and it falls apart. All three were excellent today, particularly the best defensive player in the game--TJ Watt.

Zack_of_Steel

Reaction score
I think its pretty hard to believe. This isn't JV. They probably have 60-70 calls. And they are down and distance based. Plus there was nothing in Butlers body language (attention) when they were in defense that tells me he is calling.

I dunno, man, growing up they had most of the same plays in the Steelers playbook on Madden year-to-year. I had most of those memorized and still defaulted to my 3 favorite catch-all cheese plays just like the real Steelers do now!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
This thread has me laughing. Fack my stomach hurts. Gonna get a six pack from laughing

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I dunno, man, growing up they had most of the same plays in the Steelers playbook on Madden year-to-year. I had most of those memorized and still defaulted to my 3 favorite catch-all cheese plays just like the real Steelers do now!
Question. Is this a joke or are you serious.
The call sheet isn't just about your defenses. It's about what you plan to call based on what they do in specific situations and formation. No one is calling NFL defese without a call sheet.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
If I'm guessing someone in the booth has the call sheet and Advises and Tomlin has final say. Clearly from a very brief shot of Keith Butler who they talked about as on the hot seat he definitely is not. They were on defense and there is no way he was making the calls.

Reactions: wig

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
If I'm guessing someone in the booth has the call sheet and Advises and Tomlin has final say. Clearly from a very brief shot of Keith Butler who they talked about as on the hot seat he definitely is not. They were on defense and there is no way he was making the calls.
Could be another coordinator. Who knows.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
whomever called this game please call the rest of them this season

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
maybe they only have 3 Defensive calls........ zone ...........man to woman......... and prevent nothing

Man I hate that prevent nothing scheme. It gives me a headache and I find myself repeating the word "why?" a lot..lol.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
It is unbelievable how much the presence of Watt, Heyward, and Fitzpatrick elevate the rest of this defense. You miss one of those guys and it falls apart. All three were excellent today, particularly the best defensive player in the game--TJ Watt.
So what happened last week against the Bengals?

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score

they dont have time for all that.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Canada calls plays from the booth I could see a defensive coaching doing it, but then I dont see the point of Butler

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Canada calls plays from the booth I could see a defensive coaching doing it, but then I dont see the point of Butler
I guess that is my point. But I honestly don't believe he is calling. After that report surfaced this week and the shot of him on the sidelines with the putt putt scorecard. No way he is.