• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Neither Butler nor Tomlin is calling this defense.

titus

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin carries nothing. Butler has a golf score card in his hand. No one can remember that many calls. It's impossible.
The players have to memorize the whole defense, if some of those morons can do it, it shouldn't be hard for someone paid to coach it to do the same.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The players have to memorize the whole defense, if some of those morons can do it, it shouldn't be hard for someone paid to coach it to do the same.
The players have to memorize the verbiage. They don't have to memorize all the schemes, the scenarios, the other team's strengths and weaknesses, tendencies, streaks etc.

(To be clear, I know players watch film and try to key on opponent tendencies and body language, but the coordinator is responsible for deciphering what the opposing team is doing globally in real time. That's the whole ******* job.)

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
(Butler looking through his "golf card sheet")
"Hmmm. This is for calling plays due to opponent tendancy. Well, the opponent tends to make me look like a ******* moron every week. What do we have for that... what do we have... Got it. PREVENT!"

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I kid. I kiiiiid.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
(Butler looking through his "golf card sheet")
"Hmmm. This is for calling plays due to opponent tendancy. Well, the opponent tends to make me look like a ******* moron every week. What do we have for that... what do we have... Got it. PREVENT!"
That's gold Jerry!

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I actually like the theory that somebody, a numbers cruncher guy, is in the box somewhere and feeding Butler or Tomlin play suggestions based on down, distance and tendency and they just choose what they feel is the best play. That makes the most sense given the lack of play sheets or any significant conversation going on until the defense is back on the sideline.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Lebeau was the only DC I can remember that didn't use a play sheet. Some is calling in the plays to Bust or Schobert. Tomlin and Butler seem to be listening just like the green dot and make changes here and there. Very strange. Would like to see the corner blitz like Hilton used to do, just hide it better than the few times we tried this year. Like to see Bush blitzing up the middle. If anything he is NOT in coverage and maybe takes up a lane for others to make tackle. Same goes for Edmunds, get him off coverage and bring him a bit here and there .

alancac98

Reaction score
Hell, it looks like they call the same damn Defense all ******* game regardless of down, distance or any circumstance - that's why they have gotten their ***** kicked the last several weeks! They never changed a damn thing until the 4th quarter of every game over the last several weeks. I think they just called a different defensive alignment that caught the other team off guard!

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Lebeau was the only DC I can remember that didn't use a play sheet. Some is calling in the plays to Bust or Schobert. Tomlin and Butler seem to be listening just like the green dot and make changes here and there. Very strange. Would like to see the corner blitz like Hilton used to do, just hide it better than the few times we tried this year. Like to see Bush blitzing up the middle. If anything he is NOT in coverage and maybe takes up a lane for others to make tackle. Same goes for Edmunds, get him off coverage and bring him a bit here and there .
They sent the slot corner more than a dozen times against the Ravens.