• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

new 7 rounder to mock or curse.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Last edited:

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
1.15 Kyle Fuller, CB, VaTech-Dennard is good enough but I like Fuller better. I think he is closer to the total package at corner. Many think this is a reach because most draftniks have him at the end of the first, but I think his value is closer to the middle. In fact, I think he is the most NFL ready corner and has good upside, so I have him as my top guy.

2.46 Martavis Bryany, WR, Clemson-I simply think his blend of size, speed, quickness, and good hands is just too great a value to pass up. I think the scheme did not necessarily fit his style at Clemson and he would have fit better in a more traditional offensive system.

3.97 Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama-he may not be recognized as one of the better 3-4 OLBs because his ability to drop and cover could be questioned (he did more in 2012), but he shows the ability to split a double team and can power past a lot of blocks. Physical. Long arms. I think there is something there.

4.118 Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon-heard a comparison of him to Aaron Smith and I went back and watched more film. I can see that. A lot of similarities. He does not get pushed around and shows solid run stopping ability. He is not considered a pass rusher, but I think he is underrated in this area.

5.157 Trai Turner, OG, LSU-I realize many will think we do not need an interior OL, but with Pouncey potentially entering his final season and Wallace as the key backup, I use the 5th because I think Turner can start in this league at guard. Foster only signed for 3 seasons as well and his contract is nearing its end.

5.173 Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming-I think Herron has a lot of potential as a speedy slot player that can burn defenses with crossing routes and then gobble up safeties down the field.

6.192 Preston Brown, ILB, Louisville-I think he has enough short area quickness to not be a liability in coverage. He is a willing hitter that closes well. He was blitzed more as a senior, but showed better all-around LB skills the season prior.

6.215 Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice-Gaines is a size, speed prospect that actually does pretty well in man coverages. He would have to show the ability to handle zones, but he could be used over slot receivers (nickle/dime) as a rookie.

7.230 Tre Boston, FS, UNC-another size/speed prospect that I think has some tools to develop as a safety and potential starter down the road. He should be an excellent special teams player.

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
1.15 Kyle Fuller, CB, VaTech-Dennard is good enough but I like Fuller better. I think he is closer to the total package at corner. Many think this is a reach because most draftniks have him at the end of the first, but I think his value is closer to the middle. In fact, I think he is the most NFL ready corner and has good upside, so I have him as my top guy.

Trading back into the 20s and taking Fuller would be ideal, but I would have no problem if they took him at 15.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Just reading things on the net. The Texans are still not sure who to take and one interesting name they may be considering is Greg Robinson. Playing him at LG. Scouts are starting to compare Robinson to Larry Allen from the Cowboys.

Last edited:
I

Idioteque

Horrendous mock. Dennard in the first would suck a moderately sized dick, but to throw away the next two rounds while you're at it? No thanks.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
From my understanding and from what we ask from our corners Kyle Fuller maybe the best fit at corner for the Steelers

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I like Tuitt I do not like Coleman. I like Hart too. If the Steelers doubled dipped at DE I would be ok with it.

I

Idioteque

Tuitt looked unblockable (like, top-15 unblockable) in 2012. He then had hernia surgery and looked like Just Another Guy in 2013. Almost all of that explosiveness and strength was gone. That's a risky, risky move for me in the first two rounds, especially considering the quality of guys available at #46. Depending on what we do in the 1st, we would have to pass on guys like Marcus Smith and Donte Moncrief and Billy Turner, just to hope that Tuitt pans out.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
15. CJ Mosley, LB. Gives us two athletic LBs in the middle.

46. Cyrus Kouandijo, OT. Gotta protect Ben's blind side and Kou was considered a first rounder at the end of the season.

97. Brandon Coleman, WR. Ben has protection and now a big target.

118. Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty. Big CB, small school. We've done this before.

157. Aaron Colvin, CB. Talented player with some injury issues.

173. Robert Herron, WR. Speedy little WR.

192. Antone Exum, CB. Surprised he's still here.

215. Deandre Coleman, 6'5" 315LB DE in the 6th. yes, please.

230. Donte Rumph, DT. Another big boy to plug the middle.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
An hernia injury shouldnt hamper him forever. If we could get him in the 2nd I could deal with that. I do understand what you saying though because I like Matthews/Adams/Montcrief/Landry alot. This team has to get better up front so i could understand a Tuitt pick.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
didnt some TE we drafted in the first have hernia surgery prior to the draft?
or is that hearsay?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
pretty sure it was a sports hernia for Milller

I

Idioteque

15. CJ Mosley, LB. Gives us two athletic LBs in the middle.

46. Cyrus Kouandijo, OT. Gotta protect Ben's blind side and Kou was considered a first rounder at the end of the season.

97. Brandon Coleman, WR. Ben has protection and now a big target.

118. Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty. Big CB, small school. We've done this before.

157. Aaron Colvin, CB. Talented player with some injury issues.

173. Robert Herron, WR. Speedy little WR.

192. Antone Exum, CB. Surprised he's still here.

215. Deandre Coleman, 6'5" 315LB DE in the 6th. yes, please.

230. Donte Rumph, DT. Another big boy to plug the middle.

I like your other mock. The one that netted us Marcus Smith and Moncrief.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
times change. adapt and overcome.

ark steel

Reaction score
An hernia injury shouldnt hamper him forever. If we could get him in the 2nd I could deal with that. I do understand what you saying though because I like Matthews/Adams/Montcrief/Landry alot. This team has to get better up front so i could understand a Tuitt pick.

The write up on that site said he finished the last 5 games of 2013 with 23 tackes, 2.5 sacks and 5 TFL but sat out full participation in the combine due to a stress fracture. So, maybe his hernia has healed fully, but he seems to have another issue. I didn't look to see if his last 5 games were against North Rhode Island Technical Institute for the Deaf and Blind or versus quality schools.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
15 CB Bradley Roby physical great long term apperient for Taylor
46 TE Troy Nikilas Big boy who has similar traits to Miller @ witten, old school te's who can block very well and be good up the seam as well
97 NT Daniel Mccullers massive frame wil clog the middle allowing timmons and moats to have clean shots at the rb,
118 WR Cody Latimer good sized wr who had a good jr year and his well built frame should help opposite of brown
157 CB Rashaad Reynolds coming off a 6 intc year, is gritty, very good canditiate to be a long term slot cb
173 OLB Prince Shembo decent combine and 34 olb size, tough vs the run and is a threat off the edge too, depth pick.
192 CB Dontae Johnson 6"2 200 big CB, ran a 4.45, in a few years could be a starter in a few years
215 DE Deandre Coleman although his team sucked, Coleman is a big body who with the lack of depth on the dl can help especially spelling starters for 8-15 reps as a rook.
230 WR Matt Hazel raised his draft stock probably the most at the shrine game and has drawn comparisons to dynamic jags WR Shorts111

CB is stocked up for the long term with 3 CB's
2 WR added expect Latimer to be regular in the 4 and 5 wide sets as a rook, Hazel could use him as a returner
DL re stocked with big bodies
1 OLB added, I expect either both Harrison and foote back or 1, hopefully Deebo
Miller's apperient added and a great pittsburgh type te maybe a mix of Miller @ Bruneur
the big NT added that would give the front 3 the force it had when hampton was the anchor

ark steel

Reaction score
Is there a site that accumulates the mock drafts from other sites and provides data such as average draft position, highest/lowest, etc.?

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score

For all the bad things said about Kou, how he ended the season, potential injury, poor workouts, one thing that is not getting a lot of press is he just worked out again and did some medicals. His last workout was said to be excellent and his medicals cleared. Cannot change that last game, but odd how bad press was all over the place about the guy and now that there is some good news, nobody reports it.

I still think someone will be getting a steal there and I strongly considered him, but I like the potential of Bryant to be a game changer a little more.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I can respect that. What I also want to see is Ben staying upright. While Beachum did an admirable job and brought his lunch pail and put some bricks in his drawers, I don't exactly have a lot of confidence in him going forward.
Kou SHOULD be able to help keep Ben's chest from being driven into the grass...which would only help our WRs get open.
I just see Kou in a different light than Adams or Gilbert (both, IMO, are RTs)

I

Idioteque

Kou has real, real potential. I see him as a LT, one of the few actual LT prospects in this class.

I'd rather take a flier on Antonio Richardson, though.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Kou has real, real potential. I see him as a LT, one of the few actual LT prospects in this class.

I'd rather take a flier on Antonio Richardson, though.

Just what is your definition of a flier? I consider a flier a late round "throwaway" pick. You know, something around the 6th or 7th round.
To me, in my humble opinion, pick #37 in the second round of this mock is not considered a flier. I didn't chart it nor did I put it into a spreadsheet and use a slide rule with measurables to determine if indeed the 37th pick overall is considered a flier, though, Mr. Costner.

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score
Barrett had 246 career tackles at Colorado State with 18 sacks, 32.5 tackles for losses, three interceptions, seven forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and six blocked kicks
He was named the Mountain West Conference Defensive Player of the Year last season, won Defensive Most Valuable Player honors in the New Mexico Bowl and played in the East-West Shrine all-star game.
Last season, Barrett had 80 tackles, 12 sacks, 20.5 tackles for losses, three blocked kicks, four forced fumbles

Didn't this kid just play for one of our newest coaches???