• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

new D formation possibly coming perhaps 2-4-5 scrap mode

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Keith Butler Brings Up 3-5-3 Defense In Discussing New Linebackers

Steelers Depot | April 29, 2019

Related Topics: Keith Butler, Mark Barron, Devin Bush, Tyler Matakevich, Ryan Shazier, Genard Avery, Sutton Smith, Jordan Zumwalt, National Football League

In case you haven’t noticed, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ profile at linebacker has certainly changed over the years. With the exception of the seventh-round flier in Tyler Matakevich, who is still holding on to a special teams spot, the players they have taken since Ryan Shazier in the first round of 2014 have been a different breed.

That includes the likes of Travis Feeney and, to a lesser extent, Jordan Zumwalt, but the 2019 NFL Draft makes it especially obvious with Devin Bush, Sutton Smith, and Ulysees Gilbert III.

would love to see
DE Dupree wide 9 stance hand in dirt
DT Heyward
DE Hargrave/Tyson/Tuitt
OLB Watt
ILB Williams
ILB/CF Bush chess piece seem to Blitzing all
ILB/S Barron
S/LB rover Edmunds matching TE
S single high Hilton
CB Haden
CB Nelson

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I still like 4-2-5. You could bring a lot of players up to the line standing up and create confusion. Pretty much anyone but Heyward Tuitt and Hargrave could drop. Anyone could rush.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Anything except the one down lineman
that worked at times when it was hoke as the DT and Porter Farrior Foote Haggans Troy as the 5

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
mt just volunteered to play DB on that one you knew the way he was watching the screen and the speed jacoby was running at a lil ***** move like that caused him to brake and get tackled

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We just need Adam Sandler, walk on FA, who happens to double as the water boy................. Then we would have the talent to play any fLucking formation we wanted.............

Salute the nation

Reactions: MTC

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't use at least 3 big uglies on the D-line, teams will run all over you just like they do many times to us on 3rd and long when we only have 2 DL in the game.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
You’ll never top the 4-4-4

mt just volunteered to play DB on that one you knew the way he was watching the screen and the speed jacoby was running at a lil ***** move like that caused him to brake and get tackled

th

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Funny as hell SteelChip and I laugh now but at the time it wasn't so funny. I thought,.... What the hell is he doing??? You could tell he was watching the "tron"........... I thought,.... What arrogance is this, doesn't he think this is a bad respect of the STEELERS.. Or was he just to good to have consequenes??? I even saw humor at the time because it was against the Ravens but reality is it wasn't good and made us look like fools out there.

Enough rant

Here's to Mr. Tomlin learning and progressing forward with integrity and more time spent coaching and less time spent cliche-ing.........

Salute the nation

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like our 2 man line combo gets beat up on run plays. We will see what they come up with. I imagine its not going to be the same, but then again that's a main criticism I have of Tomlin is his lack of adjustments.

Bobby Bufford

Banned
Reaction score
No cute, gimmick formations will fix anything. We have a DC who didn't know his upcoming opponent had been missing their big play TE for the season....he didn't even realize that, yet he kept his job. You want to fix the D? Start with removing captain clueless.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
If you don't use at least 3 big uglies on the D-line, teams will run all over you just like they do many times to us on 3rd and long when we only have 2 DL in the game.

And we get zero push into the QB's face, I have yet to hear anyone give me an explanation as to why that's a good scheme to run?

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
No cute, gimmick formations will fix anything. We have a DC who didn't know his upcoming opponent had been missing their big play TE for the season....he didn't even realize that, yet he kept his job. You want to fix the D? Start with removing captain clueless.

Butler may suck, or he may not, but Captain Clueless that's running the defense is Tomlin, he's pretty much said as much.

Vader

Reaction score

He's not calling the defense anyway. He should be moved to LB coach and let Tomlin take the title of DC since he is calling the plays.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
He's not calling the defense anyway. He should be moved to LB coach and let Tomlin take the title of DC since he is calling the plays.

as long as Tomlin takes the title of Captain Clueless too :smile2:

Bobby Bufford

Banned
Reaction score

Regardless of who is calling plays, you need some leadership coming from your DC, Butler inspires nothing. Just a bump on a log that the players don't seem to respect. Nothing like LeBeau, who was loved greatly and inspired the players. Butler has been one of the Rooneys' bigger failures. They made Porter the scapegoat, when at the very least, Butler needed replaced.

Vader

Reaction score
Regardless of who is calling plays, you need some leadership coming from your DC, Butler inspires nothing. Just a bump on a log that the players don't seem to respect. Nothing like LeBeau, who was loved greatly and inspired the players. Butler has been one of the Rooneys' bigger failures. They made Porter the scapegoat, when at the very least, Butler needed replaced.

It does no good to replace Butler because it isn't his defense and he isn't calling the plays. Tomlin started tinkering with the defense when LeBeau was here. Now he is in charge of it. So whoever the DC is will just be a figure head. The players know that so there is nothing Butler can do. I'm not even sure why he's staying.