• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New Jersey numbers rule changes,

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
WoW, Chiefs are saying with the retired numbers they ran out of numbers for players to wear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, sort of

Now you won't be able to tell by number the position the player plays. You can but in a much expanded role.

Did you use the jersey number to tell position of player....... I did at times.

Salute the nation

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I like it ttytt.

If I were a pro and playing defense a single number would look nice and clean. Being a star LBer or S and being able to wear an 8 or 9 is cool imho.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
This is another idiotic thing the league is doing. The whole reason for number assignment was to speed up recognition from the sidelines and coach boxes so as to speed up play calling. Just another market ploy by the league to sell more jersey. KC retired 5 numbers and “they’ve run out“? Only retire numbers for players who were transcendent and they won’t have the problem. Better yet, just don’t have the equipment manager issue out numbers that the club wants to remove from circulation (like 12, 32, 52, 58, 59 and in the future 7, 36, 43, 50, 86).

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I like the NFL has numbers by position. I know when a CB/LB gets assigned a number in the 40s he's going to get cut. QBs gonna be #38 soon because all of the DBs and WRs will want 0-19.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Like I said I use jersey numbers to reconize position of play. I'm in the boat of another "league" miscue.

Salute the nation

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
This is another idiotic thing the league is doing. The whole reason for number assignment was to speed up recognition from the sidelines and coach boxes so as to speed up play calling. Just another market ploy by the league to sell more jersey. KC retired 5 numbers and “they’ve run out“? Only retire numbers for players who were transcendent and they won’t have the problem. Better yet, just don’t have the equipment manager issue out numbers that the club wants to remove from circulation (like 12, 32, 52, 58, 59 and in the future 7, 36, 43, 50, 86).
36, 43, 86 + 63 (and 47) are already out of circulation. Except for Ham it’s not been reissued & all retired as Steelers save for Franco & Webster.

All due respect to Shazier—#50 not a chance.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just because the league says you can do it, doesn't mean a team HAS to do it.

Totally agree sarge but these entitled athletes will get what they want as long as they are producing, sound familiar ? TOMLIN would fold like overdue londary if he had a star DB say I want #1 on my jersey as long as that "star" DB was producing.

FSF, I agree on the #50. Respect and sorry for how he went out but Shazier wasn't here long enough to merit jersey "non-use". You can't retire on potential as you have to retire on substance and Shazier didn't have enough time to make his case. Larry Foot's overall career was more productive than Shazier's short career. NO, I'm not saying Larry was better than Ryan but I am say the legnth of career is the differeence.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
In my mind I like the idea of doing that for Shazier for sentimental reasons. But if they don't do that what about the Steelers HOF induction?

Last edited:

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Totally agree sarge but these entitled athletes will get what they want as long as they are producing, sound familiar ? TOMLIN would fold like overdue londary if he had a star DB say I want #1 on my jersey as long as that "star" DB was producing.
Fair enough, but does it really matter? I know you said you like it for position recognition, but reality is, people that follow football the way you do knows the teams and the vast majority of the players on them and what positions they play, regardless of the number. Sure, it will be weird to se a LB wearing #11, but if he's good enough, I doubt people will think he is a QB or kicker out there playing LB and they will know who he is.

I mean, you follow college football, right? Has a punter wearing 98 or a DB wearing 6 thrown you off at all? I would think that it hasn't.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
36, 43, 86 + 63 (and 47) are already out of circulation. Except for Ham it’s not been reissued & all retired as Steelers save for Franco & Webster.

All due respect to Shazier—#50 not a chance.
47 been used several times after Mel retired. Most notably with Scott Shields, who could forget him? Definitely has been taken out of circulation as of several years ago, but there were pre-final roster players assigned 47 in the past. If they made the team, they had to change their number.

I don’t believe they will retire 50, but they will take it out of circulation for a few years just to show respect for how Ryan overcame miraculous odds. Always thought PIT was classy for doing stuff to recognize members of the organization.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Still no 0 or 00?

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
47 been used several times after Mel retired. Most notably with Scott Shields, who could forget him? Definitely has been taken out of circulation as of several years ago, but there were pre-final roster players assigned 47 in the past. If they made the team, they had to change their number.

I don’t believe they will retire 50, but they will take it out of circulation for a few years just to show respect for how Ryan overcame miraculous odds. Always thought PIT was classy for doing stuff to recognize members of the organization.
Ouch I forgot Scott Shields....

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Still no 0 or 00?
Still refusing to honor your bet? Regarding the playoffs? Or are you just hoping everyone forgets?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Reactions: FSF

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Still refusing to honor your bet? Regarding the playoffs? Or are you just hoping everyone forgets?
Clarify the bet. I said the Steelers will not not win a playoff game this season, ending in 2022. You want to bet me sucka?

My terms which of course you will run from are two full months off from the forum. PM Me if we are in with the above details so I have it. Your move jr.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
@ Ike Taylor, I offered you the bet via PM, replay back and approve. I tend to doubt you will based on your history.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I like it ttytt.

If I were a pro and playing defense a single number would look nice and clean. Being a star LBer or S and being able to wear an 8 or 9 is cool imho.
Giants LB Brad Van Pelt wore #10...

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Clarify the bet. I said the Steelers will not not win a playoff game this season, ending in 2022. You want to bet me sucka?

My terms which of course you will run from are two full months off from the forum. PM Me if we are in with the above details so I have it. Your move jr.

More smoke and mirrors with you......I just posted this in the Opening odds thread. Keep running your mouth Dumb ***.

Coach said:
Repost the bet, this forum has lost a lot of air over the past few months. I bet we do not win a playoff game this coming season, now what are you willing to lose? Hurry up and reply, before three weeks pass and you call that a reneging.

Also, you or anyone can always PM be on bets.

Here you go Dumb ***. From the “Tomlin only keeps Ben for winning streak” thread (post #35). This was on 3/17/21.

Coach said:
You remain fixated on me. Look, Tomlin has not won a playoff game since 2016, and I will bet you this continues to be the case after this season. The Steelers were ripped apart in free agency, and have brutal schedule with a new OC for the 2021 season Well see what type of coach Tomlin is now, and thank goodness he has not been extended.

Ike Kelly said:
Fixated? Coach don’t flatter yourself, your idiosyncrasies are now adjectives for which to identify posts on this board.

I’ll take your bet. Tomlin will win a playoff game for the 2021 season. Terms are simple, you pay my contributor fees for the year if he does win, I’ll pay yours if he doesnt. So as to facilitate the terms of acceptance without excuses, we pay Justin the yearly fee now and whoever wins gets reimbursed next year. No modifications to the terms, either accept them or you just refused your bet. If you do accept, good luck. If you don’t, it won’t be a surprise.

Ike Kelly said:
Its been a week. Either Coach is in jail with the Spring Breakers or he knows he would lose another bet on this forum. If anyone sees him posting on another thread or in the non-football forum, please remind him not to hide and either honor his bet or admit he‘s a Dumb ***.

You’ve been avoiding this bet and terms and you know it. The terms have been there and discussed with Justin. So you can eat your “hurry up and reply” bullshit.

As for PM you with the details, we all know how you renege on bets and shovel more crap in excuses than anyone on this board, so for transparency its posted on the board so all can see.

So I call your bullshit, and leave it to you in acceptance as is. No excuses.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
You must really be hard headed. Once again, take my terms or leave it. I offered the bet first. What you are asking for has zero do do with the outcome of what I offered. Your bs is trying to make the wager something I don't care about. I will risk 2 months ban over the bet. Will you? No you won't. And we both know why!

You discussed terms with Justin. I don't know him and did not. Got it? No way should anyone pay up in advance for a bet, which is what you are asking for and will do anyway.

You are afraid to take my terms, we both know it. So you try move the goal post way back on something your doing anyway and I have little interest in. Your excuses tells everyone all they need to know about you.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
nah coach. You're the one with the reputation. I don't give two ***** about your bet. But if he wants it paid in advance to Justin,,, (who runs the show here by the way) , he has that prerogative.

as far as PM's.. No. No one in their right mind would make a bet with you via PM.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
You must really be hard headed. Once again, take my terms or leave it. I offered the bet first. What you are asking for has zero do do with the outcome of what I offered. Your bs is trying to make the wager something I don't care about. I will risk 2 months ban over the bet. Will you? No you won't. And we both know why!

You discussed terms with Justin. I don't know him and did not. Got it? No way should anyone pay up in advance for a bet, which is what you are asking for and will do anyway.

You are afraid to take my terms, we both know it. So you try move the goal post way back on something your doing anyway and I have little interest in. Your excuses tells everyone all they need to know about you.

Since you love the distraction game on multiple threads here is the latest on the original thread.

WTH do you think a bet is you Dumb ***? You put down your marker (chips/cash/hand) when you place a bet. So we both pay a mediator (Justin), whoever wins gets reimbursed AFTER conclusion of YOUR bet, which won’t end until next January. As for backing out, You are the one backing out Dumb ***. You always do, and it’s documented right here in this thread, post #35. You made a bet 3/17, I accepted and provided the terms since you never did. You not once replied, even though you’ve been lurking and posting on the board since. Now who is backing out? Who is changing the terms? A nutless monkey can see who is doing both you moron.

Oh I know you don’t value being a full (...LOL) paying member on the board, and for the record, you wouldn’t be a paying member. If I lose, I am paying for your year membership. Plus, you’ve been given vacations for obvious reasons and it’s now expected, so what’s the value in that. You’ve been freeloading this site for years throughout its many versions wasting bandwidth on actual paying members dime. It’s time to see if you back the horse **** you constantly spew. If you can’t afford a one year membership fee, just say so. Otherwise, shut up and send Justin a check for a one year subscription. Anything else will be considered you, AGAIN, reneging on another wager. In fact Coolie or another Mod should ban your *** for doing this time.

Also, stop your whining PMs to me. All the arrangements of your bet and my terms were listed in public. Keep it there so you can honor the worthless mouth you own.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
I remeber thinking he might be the answer,................. boy was I wrong.

Salute the nation
Shields had the size and ability to have been a beast Safety.

He lacked the right mindset. He was outworked by someone of lesser pedigree — Brent Alexander — for the starting lineup. He effectively just quit instead of working harder as he most certainly would have gotten another chance. Alexander was limited and our secondary was desperately in need of what his abilities could bring in 2001-02.

Considering he never played in NFL again after 2000, Ones got to wonder if he doesn’t have regrets looking back.