• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL Bringing in the Black National Anthem, For the forseeable future.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
D

Lol.......so anyone that doesn’t agree with you is full of it.

Thumbs up on this. What’s the percentage of black to white? If the black players really feel strongly about this I get the feeling because of the huge majority there is not much choice for the NFL.

Just out of curiosity,a couple questions. And I ask just for pure discussion,no judgement and frankly,not sure what the answer is. Do you really think when the anthem was written it was for all races? Written in 1814 during a white mans war,used by the navy starting in 1889 which I am sure was predominantly white,made national anthem in 1931,when let’s face it, the majority of people that weren’t white were **** upon non stop. So when you ask “ Can we now have a white national anthem “ I had to chuckle. If this isn’t a white persons national anthem...........

While I agree with you,what’s the NFL supposed to do. If the huge majority of the black players want it how can you say no to them. And what’s the big deal if they play it. The players union would have a say as well.

I know this is in the football part of it,but it’s offseason,so just a few more comments if I may.

As I get older,I seem to be giving certain subjects a lot more thought. Racism is one of them. I am a white man. It’s pretty well impossible for me to understand what people of color had and still have to go through. I 100% believe things are changing for the better. Perhaps not as fast as some want,but definitely opportunity is there if you want it.

People do need a little thicker skin. Not everything said is an insult directed right at you. That being said.....I am the son of immigrants. My father immigrated in 1954 from Germany. I was the one of 4 children. For some reason they saddled me with a very Germanic name ( no not Adolf!) Through elementary school I was called a ******* nazi, ******* Kraut,Jew killer,you name it. To say it didn’t bother me would be a lie. But I did develop thicker skin,and learn not to take everything at face value. There are many ignorant people out there,be they white,black,Asian. Of course this pales in comparison to being lynched.

I have traveled to many different countries. As a person in the construction trades,my company,I have worked for many different ethnic groups. I always get a bit of a chuckle,when people or media always portrays the white person as the only racist.

Racism exists in every race. In my experience,the amount of racism that exists between the Chinese against people from India is quite something. The amount of racism that exists between India against the Nepalese is huge. If you don’t think the Chinese community doesn’t put down the black or white man to each other.....well lol.
Gee,you think that in the millions upon millions of people in the black community,that there aren’t racist comments directed towards the white community. Yet it seems the white man is the only racist.

I am writing this during a black eye time in Canadian history. Hundreds upon hundreds,will be soon thousands of unmarked graves of children have being found in the last month. All from the residential schools that the indigenous community was forced to be put in. The children were forcibly taken,beaten,sexually abused,their language,heritage taken away. By the thousands. All under the watchful eye of our Canadian government In cahoots with the ever so wonderful Roman Catholic Church. This makes me sick. I can’t believe how ignorant I was. I knew nothing about this,or maybe just didn’t pay attention. The last school closed in the late 1990’s. Some of our Indigenous community’s don’t even have proper drinking water. While our government is wasting millions hiring consultants to find out what color their fingers turn as they sit on their *****,some communities don’t have drinking water.

I write this also because I am a little bit afraid of what my grandson might encounter. My daughter married a Nepalese man in India. That in itself is another story. The wedding was something else.
My son in law is now in Canada for almost 3 years,and is a great guy. I have my little 2.5 year old grandson all the time. I love him to pieces,he is absolutely beautiful. It’s a predominately white suburb outside of Vancouver,which has a very diverse ethnicity.

I think it’s human nature to turn a blind eye towards things unless you are effected personally. I am now effected personally. I notice all sorts of things differently. Let’s hope all races find much more tolerance with each other.

Ramble over.
The nfl should play one anthem and one anthem only. Many brave men and women gave their lives, that flag represents them and the freedoms we get to enjoy. These athletes have the money, resources/platform to go be a positive change for the social issues they feel threatened by. Using the national anthem while on the clock is not a way to go about it.

Congrats on being a gramps btw.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, but this was ridiculous when it was done last year and it is just as ridiculous now. There is only ONE National Anthem. Playing a so-called "black national anthem" is the definition of racism. Can we now have a "white national anthem", a "brown national anthem" and one for every race? Our country has one national anthem for all races.
I wasn't going to reply... but now, I am...

"Lift Every Voice And Sing" is the Black National anthem. As Buckeye stated, you won't even see or hear it on the broadcast.

It is quite obvious that we still have a long way to go at SteelerNation because diversity, inclusion and belonging doesn't matter to some of you.

Go read the third verse of the National Anthem. I'll even share the link here:

Please tell me how the verse isn't offensive.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
sorry steelman two anthems is bullshit. it doesn't matter when the National Anthem was written. Men fought and died to make all people free in this country. Is it perfect, nope, is it systemically racist? Nope. Any man or woman of any color or nationality or sexual orientation or any other way you want to divide them, can achieve their dreams here. You want something, work for it.

I would bet the majority of players don't give a **** about a black national anthem Most might support it only because to vote against it would result in backlash from the supposedly open minded liberals in this country.

All groups do have their racist fucktards that blame all their ills on other races to make up for the lack of drive they themselves suffer from. Those trying to say you can not be racist toward white folks are just as ******* ignorant as white racists.

This is supposed to be the United States of America, ONE Flag, ONE Anthem, ONE Nation which no matter the issues in our history, we are still a symbol of Freedom throughout the world
You know I consider you my brother and friend. And this comment does not change that BUT...

You are wrong in this case.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score

"Lift Every Voice And Sing" is the Black National anthem. As Buckeye stated, you won't even see or hear it on the broadcast.

It is quite obvious that we still have a long way to go at SteelerNation because diversity, inclusion and belonging doesn't matter to some of you.

Is that verse ever sung? I have never heard it performed, ever. Strike it officially from the books but we don't need to erase everything from our past to move forward together today. I have no problem with the actual song that many consider a black national anthem but I do have a real problem with it being called that. We don't get unity through separation or segregation, by insisting on a seperate national anthem are we not taking a step backwards? We need sports to unify us not drive this stupid wedge of politics into it. I would love to sit down and watch a game with you someday. Cheering on sports has been one the better unifying things for Pittsburgh as well as other cities. People of all stripes coming together in bars and stadiums to cheer and party together regardless of race or anything else.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Is that verse ever sung? I have never heard it performed, ever. Strike it officially from the books but we don't need to erase everything from our past to move forward together today. I have no problem with the actual song that many consider a black national anthem but I do have a real problem with it being called that. We don't get unity through separation or segregation, by insisting on a seperate national anthem are we not taking a step backwards? We need sports to unify us not drive this stupid wedge of politics into it. I would love to sit down and watch a game with you someday. Cheering on sports has been one the better unifying things for Pittsburgh as well as other cities. People of all stripes coming together in bars and stadiums to cheer and party together regardless of race or anything else.
Lebanon, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Seriously.

No, the verse is never sung but the fact is it's there and yes, it should be removed but I would bet every paycheck next year that many people would protest that action.

Sports is supposed to create unification under the guise of competition. But the athletes are human. To think that they don't care about what's happening off the football field is ridiculous.

Some of us still fear being pulled over. Some of us can't even wear a hoodie for fear of being profiled. I could go on and on...

The pleasure would be all mine to watch a game with you.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
You know I consider you my brother and friend. And this comment does not change that BUT...

Bermuda, I love what you bring to the board and would really enjoy having a drink or 6 with you

But no, No United Nation can have different National Anthems.

while there may be more verses to the poem, the National Anthem has two verses.

Nothing in the two verses sung during the NATIONAL ANTHEM is divisive. I will never accept a 2nd national anthem for any race of people

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Totally fine with this. I'm sure the nearly 70% African American players in the league will appreciate the shout-out to their cultural heritage. What's the big deal? Why so butthurt over a song that lasts a few minutes? Nothing will replace the National Anthem. This is a spiritual, a gospel song. Playing this before games is a gesture to the black community that the NFL hears their voices. The song is quite beautiful and uplifting, you should give it a listen. Perhaps it will open your hearts to understand the struggle for equal rights and justice for all as provided by the Constitution & help restore your faith in America.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

I have no problem striking an offensive verse. But still think one is enough for everyone. One nation under god. I know having a black national anthem isn't the answer. That I know. You want things to represent unity. One for all and all for one.🤓

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Bermuda, I love what you bring to the board and would really enjoy having a drink or 6 with you

But no, No United Nation can have different National Anthems.

while there may be more verses to the poem, the National Anthem has two verses.

Nothing in the two verses sung during the NATIONAL ANTHEM is divisive. I will never accept a 2nd national anthem for any race of people
We, the people of the United States, have one official National Anthem. We, the Black community have a song that is sung among some members of our communities at church, social gatherings, etc. It is not an official national anthem. It is just something that is uniquely ours. This feeling of having something of ours is one reason that I really don't care that the NFL plays the song before games. It's not like I'm going to hear it any more than I hear the Star Spangled Banner.
That said, having a song, or anthem, that represents a group that you are a member of is not something new. "We Are Family", "Renegade" come to mind.

Where I personally have an issue with the NFL playing the song before games is that I don't believe they're doing it for any reason other than a symbolic pandering. Everything is about publicity.

As for the idea of unity. Well, unity, in my opinion, doesn't mean that we all have to be the same. We can come from different cultural, racial and ethnic backgrounds and still have unity. Where the divisions come from is when we stop acknowledging and respecting those differences and assume that everyone has to take the same outlook, have the same cultural background, etc. in order to be valued the same as a countryman, person and human being. (end rant).

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Totally fine with this. I'm sure the nearly 70% African American players in the league will appreciate the shout-out to their cultural heritage. What's the big deal? Why so butthurt over a song that lasts a few minutes? Nothing will replace the National Anthem. This is a spiritual, a gospel song. Playing this before games is a gesture to the black community that the NFL hears their voices. The song is quite beautiful and uplifting, you should give it a listen. Perhaps it will open your hearts to understand the stuggle for equal rights and justice for all as provided by the Constitution & help restore your faith in America.

This is my FAVORITE rendition of the song. The last verse will make your skin crawl!!!

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
We, the people of the United States, have one official National Anthem. We, the Black community have a song that is sung among some members of our communities at church, social gatherings, etc. It is not an official national anthem. It is just something that is uniquely ours. This feeling of having something of ours is one reason that I really don't care that the NFL plays the song before games. It's not like I'm going to hear it any more than I hear the Star Spangled Banner.
That said, having a song, or anthem, that represents a group that you are a member of is not something new. "We Are Family", "Renegade" come to mind.

Where I personally have an issue with the NFL playing the song before games is that I don't believe they're doing it for any reason other than a symbolic pandering. Everything is about publicity.

As for the idea of unity. Well, unity, in my opinion, doesn't mean that we all have to be the same. We can come from different cultural, racial and ethnic backgrounds and still have unity. Where the divisions come from is when we stop acknowledging and respecting those differences and assume that everyone has to take the same outlook, have the same cultural background, etc. in order to be valued the same as a countryman, person and human being. (end rant).
Where the diversity comes from is through politics and media. And individuals buying into what they are shoveling. Nobody's culture should be taken away at the same time no need to grand stage an individual race. Berm nothing good comes from what they are pushing masking it off as one sided racism. You and I both know racism exist in all walks of life. Plenty of every color ridiculously disliking each other. Lot of ignorance running wild. I don't see that changing when the youth of our nation is getting dumber not smarter. Unity means exactly that doing things that unite. Culture can be diverse and still find ways of uniting a country. But we live in a country that has these agendas now that is hell bent on upheaval.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
This is my FAVORITE rendition of the song. The last verse will make your skin crawl!!!
Great song, my only issue is semantics. I have no problem with it being played as a unifying message. It just shouldn't be called a national anthem. A song to celebrate unity or whatever. Better yet let's just play the Steelers Polka and stand together glorying in it's beautiful awfulness.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

I have absolutely no issue with the song or people coming together and claiming something as theirs. I loved the We are Family Pirates. Hell every wedding or other celebration my family has we play David Allen Coe's song "You Never Even Called Me by My Name" as we circle up and belt it out in our drunken voices. It is our own Coligan tradition...at least the Texas Coligan

I don't have an issue with the song being played pre-game or half time or when ever

I have an issue with the league or anyone calling it a Black National Anthem. I won't rehash my points. But I will add, I thought we were past "separate but equal"

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Great song, my only issue is semantics. I have no problem with it being played as a unifying message. It just shouldn't be called a national anthem. A song to celebrate unity or whatever. Better yet let's just play the Steelers Polka and stand together glorying in it's beautiful awfulness.

I have absolutely no issue with the song or people coming together and claiming something as theirs. I loved the We are Family Pirates. Hell every wedding or other celebration my family has we play David Allen Coe's song "You Never Even Called Me by My Name" as we circle up and belt it out in our drunken voices

I don't have an issue with the song being played pre-game or half time or when ever

I have an issue with the league or anyone calling it a Black National Anthem. I won't rehash my points. But I will add, I thought we were past "separate but equal"
I am curious who would be for a white national anthem or a white beauty pageant or a white entertainment channel. Anything focusing on one color brings a diverse message canceling out good intentions. I would rather see education become the focus in this country that is what will bring about good change for all races. Do as Germany once did. You go to college or go in the service. Install education and a work ethic and a family atmosphere into this nation that would bring out change.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

Inclusion is the whole point of having 1 anthem. It includes everybody. The great lie of the diversity and inclusion crowd is that they are actually promoting division. Not promoting, demanding.

As for the 3rd verse, nobody knows it because it is not part of the Anthem.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
tell me

How were you ever military. How? You know how it is if you were.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score

Berm, I've read and studied poetry my whole life, so hear me out on this. I'll include the whole third verse to provide context.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave,
From the terror of flight and the gloom of the grave;
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave!

So the first four lines are directed at the British who "vauntly", meaning excessive boasting, swore that they were unleashing Hell and they would leave us without a country, A home if you will. The fourth line is a HUGE middle finger stating "their blood has washed away their foul footsteps' Pollution". He called the British a pollution upon our country's shores. Then we come to the part where he says "No refuge could save the hireling and slave", this is a continuation of those polluting British, their hired contractors and slaves, so what he's saying here is that even the hired help "wasn't safe from the gloom of the grave" I highlighted the word could in the above verse to show past tense as it's important in the fact that many people stating the verse is racist, isn't showing the verse in it's entirety. He didn't write the word "can" which would mean a continued pursuit of slaves, he wrote the would "could"

Where we, as Americans, go wrong is not showing how important African, Asian, and Latino people were to the very fight of our Nation, and still are today. Keep in mind when reading this third verse that there are black, yellow, and brown people chasing down and killing that "pollution" upon our shores including the contractors and slaves. The Red stripes on the flag that doth wave stand for Hardiness and Valor, and if you read the stories of Charles Ball and WIlliam Williams and many other heros of color you'll see that this Third verse isn't inclusive of all slaves, just the slaves that polluted our shores in support of the British.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We have one National Anthem. Don't like the one verse that is disputable out there in its true meaning, then petition to remove it. No one sings it anyway. If you now want to have a fake "black national anthem", then we must have a "white national anthem" and a national anthem for all other races in this country. Then we'll have to have one for males, one for females, one for gays, one for transgenders and one for every other made-up creation that comes with the + at the end of LGBTQ+. And the list goes on. The US is not a perfect country, no one said it was. You don't erase your past, you learn from it like this country has done until now when libtards want to just erase our history and put one in that better suits their divisive agenda. But, the US is without a shadow of a doubt the best, the freest, and the least oppressed country anywhere in the world. And, we have helped and continue to help other countries be free. No other country even comes close. If you think otherwise, then go live in a country you think is better, turn in your citizenship, and stay there. It's a great time to be alive in America. I take consequences for my actions and don't blame others like most liberals. And, I choose to be a victor and not a victim as most liberals do and as they preach others to be.

alancac98

Reaction score

A great video on how the National Anthem came to be. I show this and discuss this with my 2nd Graders each and every year. I teach them the Star-Spangled Banner and we sing it each and every morning. After seeing the video, they all stand up tall and proud and you can hear them sing the whole way down the other end of the building (which is a hell of a long way!)

Stewey

Reaction score
D

Lol.......so anyone that doesn’t agree with you is full of it.

Thumbs up on this. What’s the percentage of black to white? If the black players really feel strongly about this I get the feeling because of the huge majority there is not much choice for the NFL.

Just out of curiosity,a couple questions. And I ask just for pure discussion,no judgement and frankly,not sure what the answer is. Do you really think when the anthem was written it was for all races? Written in 1814 during a white mans war,used by the navy starting in 1889 which I am sure was predominantly white,made national anthem in 1931,when let’s face it, the majority of people that weren’t white were **** upon non stop. So when you ask “ Can we now have a white national anthem “ I had to chuckle. If this isn’t a white persons national anthem...........

While I agree with you,what’s the NFL supposed to do. If the huge majority of the black players want it how can you say no to them. And what’s the big deal if they play it. The players union would have a say as well.

I know this is in the football part of it,but it’s offseason,so just a few more comments if I may.

As I get older,I seem to be giving certain subjects a lot more thought. Racism is one of them. I am a white man. It’s pretty well impossible for me to understand what people of color had and still have to go through. I 100% believe things are changing for the better. Perhaps not as fast as some want,but definitely opportunity is there if you want it.

People do need a little thicker skin. Not everything said is an insult directed right at you. That being said.....I am the son of immigrants. My father immigrated in 1954 from Germany. I was the one of 4 children. For some reason they saddled me with a very Germanic name ( no not Adolf!) Through elementary school I was called a ******* nazi, ******* Kraut,Jew killer,you name it. To say it didn’t bother me would be a lie. But I did develop thicker skin,and learn not to take everything at face value. There are many ignorant people out there,be they white,black,Asian. Of course this pales in comparison to being lynched.

I have traveled to many different countries. As a person in the construction trades,my company,I have worked for many different ethnic groups. I always get a bit of a chuckle,when people or media always portrays the white person as the only racist.

Racism exists in every race. In my experience,the amount of racism that exists between the Chinese against people from India is quite something. The amount of racism that exists between India against the Nepalese is huge. If you don’t think the Chinese community doesn’t put down the black or white man to each other.....well lol.
Gee,you think that in the millions upon millions of people in the black community,that there aren’t racist comments directed towards the white community. Yet it seems the white man is the only racist.

I am writing this during a black eye time in Canadian history. Hundreds upon hundreds,will be soon thousands of unmarked graves of children have being found in the last month. All from the residential schools that the indigenous community was forced to be put in. The children were forcibly taken,beaten,sexually abused,their language,heritage taken away. By the thousands. All under the watchful eye of our Canadian government In cahoots with the ever so wonderful Roman Catholic Church. This makes me sick. I can’t believe how ignorant I was. I knew nothing about this,or maybe just didn’t pay attention. The last school closed in the late 1990’s. Some of our Indigenous community’s don’t even have proper drinking water. While our government is wasting millions hiring consultants to find out what color their fingers turn as they sit on their *****,some communities don’t have drinking water.

I write this also because I am a little bit afraid of what my grandson might encounter. My daughter married a Nepalese man in India. That in itself is another story. The wedding was something else.
My son in law is now in Canada for almost 3 years,and is a great guy. I have my little 2.5 year old grandson all the time. I love him to pieces,he is absolutely beautiful. It’s a predominately white suburb outside of Vancouver,which has a very diverse ethnicity.

I think it’s human nature to turn a blind eye towards things unless you are effected personally. I am now effected personally. I notice all sorts of things differently. Let’s hope all races find much more tolerance with each other.

Ramble over.

Ok, so what does all that have to do with the absurdity of a black national anthem?

You mentioned being white it's impossible to understand what people of color are going through.

Ok, then in the comments section please do tell these two that they don't understand what they're going through as well.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am curious who would be for a white national anthem or a white beauty pageant or a white entertainment channel. Anything focusing on one color brings a diverse message canceling out good intentions. I would rather see education become the focus in this country that is what will bring about good change for all races. Do as Germany once did. You go to college or go in the service. Install education and a work ethic and a family atmosphere into this nation that would bring out change.

These points are so true !!!!!

Salute the nation

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll TRY to keep this brief.......

Having been brought up in one religion from birth to adulthood, and then changing religions after reading history and REALLY diving into the doctrine my former childhood religion was founded on and practices, it was really hard to personally accept what I always believed in was wrong.
Sometimes when something is SO engrained in you, something you've held dear to your heart for so long, it's hard to accept when you're "wrong"/accept a change may be in order/compromise may be needed.

I do NOT believe there should be two National Anthems. I'm not even remotely OK with the thought of two National Anthems. This is still the UNITED States of America, isn't it?
( This isn't Russia, is it, Danny? )
We literally fought a war to prevent a secession.
And yeah, our ancestors made some poor choices even after said war. They discriminated against a LOT of different people. The Chinese, the Irish, Germans, Jews, etc. And the two biggest groups were Native Americans and the Africans that were sold off as slaves and shipped here.
And then, after said war, we drug our feets to current day trying to integrate EVERYONE from EVERY race into our society. So that everyone had access to the same things.
So that people of all colors/races/creeds/religions could use the same bathrooms, eat at the same restaurants, take the same busses, etc.
So now here were are, with no more segregation, and now we want to segregate again?

I understand that THE National Anthem is the only thing we've all known.
But when certain things come to light, things should change.
The earth was the center of the universe. The earth was flat. A woman who could read was a witch.
I'll let smarter people interpret song lyrics and determine intent and meaning. That's never been a strong suit of mine.
But why not change the National Anthem to America The Beautiful?
As far as I know and read, nothing divisive or possibly inflammatory in the song/poem.
It's a patriotic song that everyone could get behind without having to play two different anthems.
Just an idea. We could also come up with a brand new song, too.
But recognizing a separate National Anthem is just divisive and ignorant to what is trying to be accomplished.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so what does all that have to do with the absurdity of a black national anthem?

You mentioned being white it's impossible to understand what people of color are going through.

Ok, then in the comments section please do tell these two that they don't understand what they're going through as well.

I like those twins. A little rough around the edges but they are point on in what is taking place. Manipulation and diversification. Sure there is some bad cops just like bad in every profession. But the main problem is uneducated people committing crime. And people out there trying to mess up this country. So far they are doing a pretty good job of it.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Inclusion is the whole point of having 1 anthem. It includes everybody. The great lie of the diversity and inclusion crowd is that they are actually promoting division. Not promoting, demanding.

As for the 3rd verse, nobody knows it because it is not part of the Anthem.
I'm not disagreeing.

Oh the 3rd verse IS a part of the anthem - it just is never sung. You see the same in every church hymnal - a song could have 6 verses but only 3 are chosen to be sung...