• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL Bringing in the Black National Anthem, For the forseeable future.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely.
Approx. 10% of NFL players are gay anyway so says Topseed.
Not that it has any relevance in this particular thread, Stewey, but I actually estimated that the percentage of homosexual NFL players could be somewhere between 2.3% and 10%, but no one really knows. At least try not to misquote me the next time you bring up my name out of nowhere.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
t
I wasn't going to reply... but now, I am...

"Lift Every Voice And Sing" is the Black National anthem. As Buckeye stated, you won't even see or hear it on the broadcast.

It is quite obvious that we still have a long way to go at SteelerNation because diversity, inclusion and belonging doesn't matter to some of you.

Go read the third verse of the National Anthem. I'll even share the link here:

Please tell me how the verse isn't offensive.
Berm, I've read and studied poetry my whole life, so hear me out on this. I'll include the whole third verse to provide context.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave,
From the terror of flight and the gloom of the grave;
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave!

So the first four lines are directed at the British who "vauntly", meaning excessive boasting, swore that they were unleashing Hell and they would leave us without a country, A home if you will. The fourth line is a HUGE middle finger stating "their blood has washed away their foul footsteps' Pollution". He called the British a pollution upon our country's shores. Then we come to the part where he says "No refuge could save the hireling and slave", this is a continuation of those polluting British, their hired contractors and slaves, so what he's saying here is that even the hired help "wasn't safe from the gloom of the grave" I highlighted the word could in the above verse to show past tense as it's important in the fact that many people stating the verse is racist, isn't showing the verse in it's entirety. He didn't write the word "can" which would mean a continued pursuit of slaves, he wrote the would "could"

Where we, as Americans, go wrong is not showing how important African, Asian, and Latino people were to the very fight of our Nation, and still are today. Keep in mind when reading this third verse that there are black, yellow, and brown people chasing down and killing that "pollution" upon our shores including the contractors and slaves. The Red stripes on the flag that doth wave stand for Hardiness and Valor, and if you read the stories of Charles Ball and WIlliam Williams and many other heros of color you'll see that this Third verse isn't inclusive of all slaves, just the slaves that polluted our shores in support of the British.
Bermuda: I can see how you might take offense to the third verse. My interpretation is similar to Badcat's.

First, a little history: A big point of contention of the War of 1812 was the British promising refuge to any Black slaves who escaped their owners. Then they welcomed the escapees to join the British Corps of Colonial Marines to fight against the United States in exchange for land after their service. This really rubbed a lot of Americans the wrong way, for obvious reasons. Around 4000 slaves did manage to escape their captors, and the British kept their promise by providing many of them land in Trinidad and Tobago after the war ended.

I think that the verse is condemning those particular former slaves as traitors. Now of course today, no one could blame them for seeking their freedom, but it was a very different world back then. In the same way which I believe statues of Washington and Jefferson shouldn't be taken down (although they were slaveowners), I don't agree that the third verse should be removed from the Star Spangled Banner, because it is a part of our country's history.

Coincidentally, I took my boys to the Museum of American History over the 4th of July, and the same flag that Francis Scott Key saw waving back in 1814, albeit tattered and torn, was on full display there. They keep it in a very dark room and don't allow pictures. It was amazing to see, and brought chills to my spine. I highly recommend a visit.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Ah yes, but today seeing past skin color makes you a raciss. You must recognize skin color. You don't recognize skin color means you don't recognize the oppression people like your black co- worker and LeBron James are facing every day.

About time you get woke my friend.
You're obviously still mad...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I grew up in Memphis, possibly one of the most raysiss places in the country. MLK was killed there, so the raysissm is deep in the Bluff City. Yet, at the same time, as people worked together, they saw past skin color and saw the character of the person they were working with, talking to, playing sports with, etc.
Memphis isn't as raysiss anymore because there's hardly any white people left to be raysissts.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Not that it has any relevance in this particular thread, Stewey, but I actually estimated that the percentage of homosexual NFL players could be somewhere between 2.3% and 10%, but no one really knows. At least try not to misquote me the next time you bring up my name out of nowhere.
Best numbers I've seen are that about 4% of the U.S. population is gay, so I suppose that 4% of NFL players would be gay.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

and when she did that, people of ALL races were pissed.
but, she was not doing it to be woke. she was doing it to try to be funny and stay relevant.
**** her

NCSteelerfan

Reaction score
I'm not sure why there is so much push against the actual song. Calling it "woke" is laughable considering it was publicly performed for the first time, as a poem, for Lincoln's birthday. The black national anthem is NOT the name of the song, that was a nickname given to it back around 1919 by the NAACP during the Jim Crow era when black people were made to feel like not a part of this country......not welcome in the same areas as white people and broadly looked down upon. It's actual name is Lift Every Voice and Sing, and it's quite an inspirational and beautiful hymn.......very spiritual.

Attacking the actual song is ridiculous, it's a part of history and it's not going to take over the National Anthem no matter what the pundits try to tell people. I think people freak out over stuff way too much on both sides of the issue.

Now, the NFL using it before games IS absolute pandering and marketing, and that should be called out. Empty symbolism for points. I can go with that, because much like all the other companies that jumped on the wave, they are following a perceived trend. Remember the companies like Coke that started up with their all of their absolute symbolic woke crap and received a lot of backlash for it? Do you hear much about these companies having this stance any longer - or did they move on to the next thing after acting like they cared sooooooo much?

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
and when she did that, people of ALL races were pissed.
but, she was not doing it to be woke. she was doing it to try to be funny and stay relevant.
**** her
So, it's the word "woke" or concept of it that has some of y'all all upset? OK .. "Woke" ... Maybe I'm too old, because I don't quite understand the whole concept as anything different than Liberal Vs. Conservative. And that ideological battle has been going on since the Union was founded.

"Snowflake" ... That's another term I'm not quite understanding. I mean, is it only a term that applies when Liberals get butt hurt? Because it seems to me that the Left gets all melty about some things. But, then again, the Right does too.

I could get into all kind of social/political things that upset me. Including the NFL's blatant attempts to pander to the 70% of it's players that are Black. I mean, rest assured they aren't playing that song for the portion of it's television audience that's Black; we'd never hear it.

But, I guess the reason I come here is to discuss Steelers football. Not to get "Woke' or stay "Sleep" or get all "snowflakey" over **** that's not going to impact me one way or the other.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, it's the word "woke" or concept of it that has some of y'all all upset? OK .. "Woke" ... Maybe I'm too old, because I don't quite understand the whole concept as anything different than Liberal Vs. Conservative. And that ideological battle has been going on since the Union was founded.

"Snowflake" ... That's another term I'm not quite understanding. I mean, is it only a term that applies when Liberals get butt hurt? Because it seems to me that the Left gets all melty about some things. But, then again, the Right does too.s

I could get into all kind of social/political things that upset me. Including the NFL's blatant attempts to pander to the 70% of it's players that are Black. I mean, rest assured they aren't playing that song for the portion of it's television audience that's Black; we'd never hear it.

But, I guess the reason I come here is to discuss Steelers football. Not to get "Woke' or stay "Sleep" or get all "snowflakey" over **** that's not going to impact me one way or the other.
the "woke" misconcept is finding racism in everything. everything from the flag and anthem to bottles of maple syrup. everything. nothing is safe from racism.

the term snowflake was birthed to mean those who melted down over OrangeMan's 3AM scathing tweets.

get over to R&P if you want to learn more.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Now, the NFL using it before games IS absolute pandering and marketing, and that should be called out. Empty symbolism for points.
If I were actually oppressed and needing a hand up, I would be pissed at all of this, but it's easier to act woke (hate that word) than actually help those in need, think Juneteenth, for example. Sorry, don't mean to get political, but we're all being led around by the nose these days, where words count more than actual actions.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure why there is so much push against the actual song. Calling it "woke" is laughable considering it was publicly performed for the first time, as a poem, for Lincoln's birthday. The black national anthem is NOT the name of the song, that was a nickname given to it back around 1919 by the NAACP during the Jim Crow era when black people were made to feel like not a part of this country......not welcome in the same areas as white people and broadly looked down upon. It's actual name is Lift Every Voice and Sing, and it's quite an inspirational and beautiful hymn.......very spiritual.

Attacking the actual song is ridiculous, it's a part of history and it's not going to take over the National Anthem no matter what the pundits try to tell people. I think people freak out over stuff way too much on both sides of the issue.

Now, the NFL using it before games IS absolute pandering and marketing, and that should be called out. Empty symbolism for points. I can go with that, because much like all the other companies that jumped on the wave, they are following a perceived trend. Remember the companies like Coke that started up with their all of their absolute symbolic woke crap and received a lot of backlash for it? Do you hear much about these companies having this stance any longer - or did they move on to the next thing after acting like they cared sooooooo much?
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/IdfZoqnHEEqFkXBUFO" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Thank you...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

"Snowflake" ... That's another term I'm not quite understanding. I mean, is it only a term that applies when Liberals get butt hurt? Because it seems to me that the Left gets all melty about some things. But, then again, the Right does too.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/HX3lSnGXZnaWk" width="480" height="325" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
If I were actually oppressed and needing a hand up, I would be pissed at all of this, but it's easier to act woke (hate that word) than actually help those in need, think Juneteenth, for example. Sorry, don't mean to get political, but we're all being led around by the nose these days, where words count more than actual actions.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/Q5FQCsNJkzWj1paGBH" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess the salient question is... Am I racist if I choose to kneel during "Lift Every Voice". Cause as I understand it, most folks these days don't actually WANT my voice lifted. I'm a white middled aged dude. I assume they actually just want me to shut the **** up and keep payin' taxes.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess the salient question is... Am I racist if I choose to kneel during "Lift Every Voice". Cause as I understand it, most folks these days don't actually WANT my voice lifted. I'm a white middled aged dude. I assume they actually just want me to shut the **** up and keep payin' taxes.
I don't care (and I don't know who would) care if you knelt, sat, closed your eyes - it doesn't matter to me at all.

I'd call that 'the power of choice' - or better yet...'freedom'...

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think the anthem should be played at any sporting event. It is largely disrespected anyway, by people of all stripes. In the years that I have attended sporting events (it's been a couple years) where the anthem is played, people are sitting, talking, on their phone, getting beer, or just plain acting like obnoxious ********. Song is disrespected every time it is played in some form or another. Just play some damn music until puck drop, first pitch, kickoff.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think the anthem should be played at any sporting event. It is largely disrespected anyway, by people of all stripes. In the years that I have attended sporting events (it's been a couple years) where the anthem is played, people are sitting, talking, on their phone, getting beer, or just plain acting like obnoxious ********. Song is disrespected every time it is played in some form or another. Just play some damn music until puck drop, first pitch, kickoff.
Sad to see so many disrespectful people. Wish we could send everyone of them off to another country. None of them appreciate the lives given up so that they can be *********.

Stewey

Reaction score

Really? Do you live in Hungary too? LOL
Very simply:
Woke is a term, originating in the United States, that originally referred to awareness about racial prejudice and discrimination. It subsequently came to encompass an awareness of other issues of social inequality, for instance regarding gender and sexual orientation.

If you aren't woke then you're a raciss.

"Snowflake" gained it's prominence after Trump beat Hillary. Aimed at stunned cry baby liberals and their seeking out of "safe spaces".