• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL Contracts and the Players Union

WarEagle

Forefather
Reaction score
Okay, I am not well educated on NFL contracts but so far I am hearing there is no trading AB and if we cut him we take a cap hit. I cant believe that the Steelers would make such a lucrative contract with AB without somehow insuring themselves from the issue currently in their face.
If all is true about AB and he really did quit this team, is there not a clause that allows the Steelers to waive him without honoring the money?
Now, even if he did quit the team Tomlin is an absolute idiot for not calling him out for it and making it known rather than referencing some phantom knee injury.

Additionally what about the agent in the middle and AB not answering calls from Ownership? There has to be some outs for the Steelers provided all the **** about AB quitting the team is true.

Lastly how does the players union figure into this at this point, if the Steelers waive him or suspend him for a season?

Vader

Reaction score
If he is under contract he can be traded. The Steelers will take a $21 million dollar cap hit next year. But that's the price of getting rid of a prime ******* and a diva. It's worth it to set some new ground rules and for someone to take charge. You can't let a petulant man-baby ruin 50 years of culture on one of the most storied teams in the league. Take the hit and send his *** to Buffalo.

WarEagle

Forefather
Reaction score
Is there nothing owner friendly in the contract if the player goes rogue? By his actions it seems he is the one not honoring the contract?
Also at what point does the NFL get involved if we falsified injury report all week to cover for AB's ***?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One thing about Pittsburgh's antiquated way of structuring contracts is Antonio Brown doesn't have any salary guarantees to void because of his antics.</p>— Joel Corry (@corryjoel) <a href="https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/1080565905854099456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 2, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Random? Can part of the trade be money? As in we give up ab for a 1st and 10 million?

VaSteelerFan

Reaction score
If they trade him, I understand being on the hook for the prorated bonus, but they'd save the salary portion. The salary would go on the cap of his new team.

How am I wrong?

VaSteelerFan

Reaction score
Just looked it up. If they trade him after 6/1, cap savings in 19 is 12.6M (his 2019 salary). He would be on the books for 2020 at 14M (a 4M savings).

It's only if they trade him before 6/1 that the full 21M or so hits in 19. Number varies 2.5M before/after 17 March due to a roster bonus.

Last edited:

WarEagle

Forefather
Reaction score
If we traded him we would need to do before this years draft if it includes draft picks.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Just looked it up. If they trade him after 6/1, cap savings in 19 is 12.6M (his 2019 salary). He would be on the books for 2020 at 14M (a 4M savings).

It's only if they trade him before 6/1 that the full 21M or so hits in 19. Number varies 2.5M before/after 17 March due to a roster bonus.

True, but he counts $7M against the cap for the next 3 years and no compensation in draft picks for releasing him.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
True, but he counts $7M against the cap for the next 3 years and no compensation in draft picks for releasing him.

What is your stance on this crazy trade talk? What would you do?