• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL draft: Why do the Steelers struggle with drafting cornerbacks? | Pittsburgh Post-

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Love me some Murphy!

stevielee

Reaction score
Lol. Can't argue with you slash. I like Murphy too, even Greedy, just don't know if we can make them better. IMHO go BPA at 1:20 and get a guy who falls that's a game changer, like Watt a couple years ago, and get Cooley's guy IJ or someone similar in a later round.

Sent from my VS988 using Steeler Nation mobile app

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score
Meanwhile Baker has given up only one single TD in two years playing in the best division in football, instead y’all want Murphy who plays in the pac-10. Average height, lean frame, thin hips, small hands and very short arms. Could have durability concerns. Missed seven games as redshirt freshman.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I say the team should use the same system they have used in the past, rank them from top to bottom. when they decide to draft a cb just pick from the bottom of the list.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Meanwhile Baker has given up only one single TD in two years playing in the best division in football, instead y’all want Murphy who plays in the pac-10. Average height, lean frame, thin hips, small hands and very short arms. Could have durability concerns. Missed seven games as redshirt freshman.
Yeah... but how big is his head..

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
they'll fix all the issues by taking Johnson in the 3rd round this year

Is Johnson that good even if not looking through B & G glasses??? ALSO do you think he might be there in the 3rd??

Salute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
For years you could blame it on drafting CBs late. They always seemed to be drafting CBs in rounds 4-7 and you can't really fault a team for not finding quality starting CBs late in the draft.

The last few year though, they have stepped it up and it hasn't really been better. Here's a list of all DBs drafted under Tomlin with those drafted in the first 3 rounds in Bold

2007 - William Gay CB 5
2008 - Ryan Mundy S 7
2009 - Keenan Lewis CB 3, Joe Burnett CB 5
2010 - Crezdon Butler CB 5,
2011 - Curtis Brown CB 3, Cortez Allen CB 4
2012 - Terrence Frederick CB 7
2013 - Shamarko Thomas S 4, Terry Hawthorne CB 5
2014 - Shaq Richardson CB 5
2015 - Senquez Golson CB 2, Doran Grant CB 4, Gerod Holliman S 7
2016 - Artie Burns CB 1, Sean Davis S 2,
2017 - Cameron Sutton CB 3, Brian Allen CB 5
2018 - Terrell Edmunds S 1, Marcus Allen S 5

Clearly they made DBs a higher priority starting in 2015 and so far, not much to show

Golson was a bust
Burns has had moments but has mostly been a bust
Sean Davis has been OK and still has potential but hasn't broken out yet
Cameron Sutton hasn't shown much
Edmunds and Allen too early to tell

I don't know if it's a scouting issue or a coaching issue, but the fact is the steelers have not drafted a better than average DB since Bryant McFadden in 2005 and they haven't drafted an actual pro bowl caliber player since Ike and Troy in 2003

At this point, they should get a good DB by shear luck of the draw after so many misses.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Is Johnson that good even if not looking through B & G glasses??? ALSO do you think he might be there in the 3rd??

Salute the nation

my posts are likely biased based on viewing Johnson through my Red and White UH glasses. My honest assessment has been posted a few times. I believe he has elite physical characteristics. Size, speed, quick hips and is a willing tackler (although his technique could improve) His drawback is he has only played the position 2 years and is still learning. He can get grabby if the WR gets a step on him instead of trusting trusting his make up speed and still needs to refine his coverage techniques. He does make it difficult to get the ball over him and tracks the ball well downfield. A couple of the mock sites have him pegged as a 4th rounder based on his current skill level. I really think he will likely go around the midpoint of round 3 based on his physical traits and what I've read about his team interviews. He supposedly came across as understanding his has a lot to learn and spends as much time as possible studying game film to better himself.

He is a reach in Round 1 but less so in Round 2 and would be great value with our second 3rd round pick and a steal in the 4th.....

Oh and his head is exactly proportional to his body

Last edited:

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
For years you could blame it on drafting CBs late. They always seemed to be drafting CBs in rounds 4-7 and you can't really fault a team for not finding quality starting CBs late in the draft.

The last few year though, they have stepped it up and it hasn't really been better. Here's a list of all DBs drafted under Tomlin with those drafted in the first 3 rounds in Bold

2007 - William Gay CB 5
2008 - Ryan Mundy S 7
2009 - Keenan Lewis CB 3, Joe Burnett CB 5
2010 - Crezdon Butler CB 5,
2011 - Curtis Brown CB 3, Cortez Allen CB 4
2012 - Terrence Frederick CB 7
2013 - Shamarko Thomas S 4, Terry Hawthorne CB 5
2014 - Shaq Richardson CB 5
2015 - Senquez Golson CB 2, Doran Grant CB 4, Gerod Holliman S 7
2016 - Artie Burns CB 1, Sean Davis S 2,
2017 - Cameron Sutton CB 3, Brian Allen CB 5
2018 - Terrell Edmunds S 1, Marcus Allen S 5

Clearly they made DBs a higher priority starting in 2015 and so far, not much to show

Golson was a bust
Burns has had moments but has mostly been a bust
Sean Davis has been OK and still has potential but hasn't broken out yet
Cameron Sutton hasn't shown much
Edmunds and Allen too early to tell

I don't know if it's a scouting issue or a coaching issue, but the fact is the steelers have not drafted a better than average DB since Bryant McFadden in 2005 and they haven't drafted an actual pro bowl caliber player since Ike and Troy in 2003

At this point, they should get a good DB by shear luck of the draw after so many misses.

Good point Tape. One of the writers had a nice editorial about the DBs drafted by Colbert and Tomlin. Basically intimating they should continue follow the plan they did building the OL. Dedicating getting a couple Blue Chip CB/S in the 1st and 2nd rounds and then following up with rough diamonds to mature together with the blue chippers. It seems that’s what they started to do, three years ago. While Burns has been disappointing they need to stick with getting these DBs high until the position room is set for years. Just as the OL has been with Pouncey/DeCastro/Foster and recently Big Al. While Gilbert is now gone, there are 4 players in line that show good promise on the interior and Tackle position. Plus there is Hawkins who we haven’t seen much but could surprise.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Golson was injuries, significant ones nobody saw coming> Same with Cortez as he flashed and I had high hopes for him.

I really can't fault them for unforeseen injuries.

Burns to me was the classic oh **** my pick was just selected and I want a corner bad, reach situation. Team will claim otherwise I am sure. But I seriously doubt they had two corners sitting value wise on their board- back to back..

Tombert please stick to the board this year,

sincerely Steelers Nation

Chances are Murphy,Baker, and Greedy won't be on top of their board. So unless they work their way onto it my all their value need selected, they should stick again to BPA..