• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL Mock Draft Has Steelers Selecting LB at 24

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
bush is supposed to be a coverage lb

I'm not going down Tape's wormhole...

As you stated, we ALREADY HAVE a coverage ILB in Devin Bush, who is coming into his own - let see how he looks after coming back. Avery Williamson, I hope, comes back and Robert Spillane was not a slouch in coverage either. Even if we start w/ Bush & Spillane in September - that's the fastest ILB combo we've EVER had. Note that I said EVER!!!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
BWAHAHAHAHAHA - your hate for the SEC is written all over this post!!! No freaking way do you select an ILB at 1.24 over Najee or Etienne - NONE!!!

Etienne would be awful with our offense as currently constructed. Harris isn't gonna put us over the top either. Saquon was a wasted pick for the Giants. Even though we need to upgrade the ground game to get more balance with the offense, the NFL is still a passing league. It's a huge reason why I want the Steelers get Kenneth Gainwell. He has burner speed and looks like a wide receiver going out for routes. I'm not sure if any running back is even close in this area.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
I want us to be actively pursuing trades (up if right guy) or down to add an extra 2nd ...

Don’t stand pat

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I want us to be actively pursuing trades (up if right guy) or down to add an extra 2nd ...

Reality is a lot different than draft pick mocks and games. Specifically, to get an extra second, the Steelers would likely need to drop into the 2nd round and thereby have 3 second round picks, no first round pick. The only teams which could offer two 2nd round picks to swing such a deal are Jacksonville and Miami. Jax has picks 33 and 45, while Miami has picks 36 and 50.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/full_draft

The draft value calculator says pick 24 has a value of 740 points. Picks 33 and 45 have a combined value of 1030 points. Not close. Picks 36 and 50 have a combined value of 940 points. Still not close.

Yes, those values are not set in stone and the Steelers could offer a 2022 3rd rounder, but that is just not how this staff operates. Not going to happen.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
my point is we got bud bush dupree shazier in round 1. Lets give it a break already and help part of our team thats hurting.

there are value to be had elsewhere.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Because Florida QBs have dominated the NFL ...

That's not really even a relevant point, is it? Former Florida QB's like Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerffel, Jessie Palmer, Rex Grossman profited under a Spurrier-led system that abused lesser competition. Spurrier is not the Florida coach any more. Also, none of those guys is 6'5", 238 lbs. with a very strong arm.

I remember that prior to Derrick Henry, I heard, "Alabama RB's are not good in the NFL." Yeah, okay. So what?

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Etienne would be awful with our offense as currently constructed. Harris isn't gonna put us over the top either. Saquon was a wasted pick for the Giants. Even though we need to upgrade the ground game to get more balance with the offense, the NFL is still a passing league. It's a huge reason why I want the Steelers get Kenneth Gainwell. He has burner speed and looks like a wide receiver going out for routes. I'm not sure if any running back is even close in this area.
I disagree. Etienne is the closest version of Alvin Kamara that is in this draft. Coach Canada can work with him and Najee.

The Giants are not where we are holistically and we are closer to the playoffs next season than they are. Adjustments needed are pending...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I disagree. Etienne is the closest version of Alvin Kamara that is in this draft. Coach Canada can work with him and Najee.

The Giants are not where we are holistically and we are closer to the playoffs next season than they are. Adjustments needed are pending...

We have a bad offensive line. An aging QB or Mason Rudolph. A thin receiving corps without a guy who is going to scare the defense. Najee will fit in and do well. I just don't see Etienne having as much success without a strong line. I mean, if we can see this group get turned around in a year, sure. Can they fix it that fast?

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
We have a bad offensive line. An aging QB or Mason Rudolph. A thin receiving corps without a guy who is going to scare the defense. Najee will fit in and do well. I just don't see Etienne having as much success without a strong line. I mean, if we can see this group get turned around in a year, sure. Can they fix it that fast?

Agreed but the OL can be fixed - in this draft. We now know that OT and C are high priority picks; but both can be still be found in rounds 2 and 3 (with C being the later)...

If it were me:

Rd 1 - RB (Harris/Etienne)
Rd 2 - OT (best one left on the board)
Rd 3 - C

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed but the OL can be fixed - in this draft. We now know that OT and C are high priority picks; but both can be still be found in rounds 2 and 3 (with C being the later)...

If it were me:

Rd 3 - C

If that was the BPA I wouldn't complain.

troymania

Reaction score

If it were me:

Rd 3 - C

I am not sold on Etienne. Harris, I am all in on. Creed Humphries (OU) and Dickerson (Bama) in second. OT in third, maybe Radunz (NDSU) or Hudson (Cincy).

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sold on Etienne. Harris, I am all in on. Creed Humphries (OU) and Dickerson (Bama) in second. OT in third, maybe Radunz (NDSU) or Hudson (Cincy).

Agree on Etienne. Too small to be a 3-down back. Terrible blocker right now. I suspect Radunz goes 2nd round after his showing in the Senior Bowl. Struggled a bit day 1, coaches worked with him and he stoned pass rushers one-on-one after that.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
An ILB in round one? NO WAY.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score