• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL Owners Approve 14 Team Playoff Structure

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
By Beth Ruzanic SteelerNation.com   In a conference call on Tuesday afternoon the NFL owners approved a 14 team playoff structure beginning with the 2020 season. At least seventy-five percent of the owners had to vote for this proposition – no final vote tally was made readily available. In this new configuration, only the best […]

More...

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
By Beth Ruzanic SteelerNation.com   In a conference call on Tuesday afternoon the NFL owners approved a 14 team playoff structure beginning with the 2020 season. At least seventy-five percent of the owners had to vote for this proposition – no final vote tally was made readily available. In this new configuration, only the best […]

More...
Colbert was all for it today on his broadcast. Tomlin should be doing jumping jacks. [emoji28]

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Tomlin be like..."Whoo...8-8 gets me into the playoffs this year!!"

Too bad will still wont win the damn game.

Stoney

Reaction score
So who gets to broadcast these battles between losers?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing new but thanks for the write up Beth, you rock.!

It will be harder for the cheatriots to manipulate their way as I think the owners have said they've had enough. That extra game can play havoc regardless of where you are seeded.

The STEELERS were the first team ever to take the 6th seed to and win the Super Bowl. The odds are in their favor to secure a 7th seed spot but not in thier favor to continue that seed to the SB, not a Tomlin coached team anyways. Would like to see that changed though with or without CMVLT.!

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing new but thanks for the write up Beth, you rock.!

It will be harder for the cheatriots to manipulate their way as I think the owners have said they've had enough. That extra game can play havoc regardless of where you are seeded.

The STEELERS were the first team ever to take the 6th seed to and win the Super Bowl. The odds are in their favor to secure a 7th seed spot but not in thier favor to continue that seed to the SB, not a Tomlin coached team anyways. Would like to see that changed though with or without CMVLT.!

Salute the nation

Billacheat will continue cheating. The only thing that will stop him is retirement whenever that is.

Goodell will continue to sweep **** under the rug that you can count on.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Why not go to 16 teams, 8 teams in each conf.? Everybody plays every weekend. No byes. Everybody plays 4 games in order to win the SB.

12? 14? Some teams get byes. Some don't. Why? Make it simple. Some late season late bloomer gets hot like the stillers did in SB 40.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
It's official. The 7 teams making the playoffs starts a year earlier than expected.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Why not go to 16 teams, 8 teams in each conf.? Everybody plays every weekend. No byes. Everybody plays 4 games in order to win the SB.

12? 14? Some teams get byes. Some don't. Why? Make it simple. Some late season late bloomer gets hot like the stillers did in SB 40.

Then the regular season becomes meaningless like the NBA and college basketball. Nobody gets a bye then teams would be resting guys during the regular season. That's what the NBA does. They call it load management. It's so easy to make the playoffs that teams are fine with losing games while resting starters. I mean sitting them entire games.

Now you have the NFL making the season longer and the playoffs longer. The next step will be load management.

This is a straight out money grab. This newer crop of owners has no respect at all for the game. They want that money and the game be damned. Give it a few years and they will want 18 games and 16 teams in the playoffs. Then maybe more expansion to 34 or 36 teams.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
They're already talking load management with the NFL. Preseason sucks. I don't want to watch load management during the regular season too.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Then the regular season becomes meaningless like the NBA and college basketball. Nobody gets a bye then teams would be resting guys during the regular season. That's what the NBA does. They call it load management. It's so easy to make the playoffs that teams are fine with losing games while resting starters. I mean sitting them entire games.

Now you have the NFL making the season longer and the playoffs longer. The next step will be load management.

This is a straight out money grab. This newer crop of owners has no respect at all for the game. They want that money and the game be damned. Give it a few years and they will want 18 games and 16 teams in the playoffs. Then maybe more expansion to 34 or 36 teams.

While I agree with what you are saying,let’s not pretend it’s just the owners going for “ the straight out money grab”. The players could have voted against it if they felt strongly about it. But hmmmmmm,I wonder if they will get a little extra for another game. I am waiting for the first player to sit out or want to renegotiate his contract that he signed because of the extra game. You know sure as **** it will happen.

I hope they don’t take out the incentive to win,division or conference. I also hope they don’t keep on adding games to the schedule over the years. It definitely diminished the NHL. The best time in hockey was the 60 game schedule.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
While I agree with what you are saying,let’s not pretend it’s just the owners going for “ the straight out money grab”. The players could have voted against it if they felt strongly about it. But hmmmmmm,I wonder if they will get a little extra for another game. I am waiting for the first player to sit out or want to renegotiate his contract that he signed because of the extra game. You know sure as **** it will happen.

I hope they don’t take out the incentive to win,division or conference. I also hope they don’t keep on adding games to the schedule over the years. It definitely diminished the NHL. The best time in hockey was the 60 game schedule.

it's not the player's job to worry about the future of the game. That's the commissioner and the owner's responsibility.

The old guard of owners always had the health of the game as top priority. That's why the Steelers, one of the oldest NFL teams, agreed to be moved to the new AFC conference when the NFL merged.

these new owners see no problem using things like practice time as a negotiating tool so long as they get some money for it. Nevermind if it hurts the quality. Now they want to expand the playoffs.

The reason NFL is king is because their regular season means so much. How many baseball fans watch all 162 games? or NBA fans watch all 82? Not many. But dame near every fan watches all 16 of their team, or at least they are watching redzone to keep tabs on each game. If they miss, it's likely because they had to work or something.

Making the season longer and adding more playoff teams cheapens the regular season.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
it's not the player's job to worry about the future of the game. That's the commissioner and the owner's responsibility.

The old guard of owners always had the health of the game as top priority. That's why the Steelers, one of the oldest NFL teams, agreed to be moved to the new AFC conference when the NFL merged.

these new owners see no problem using things like practice time as a negotiating tool so long as they get some money for it. Nevermind if it hurts the quality. Now they want to expand the playoffs.

The reason NFL is king is because their regular season means so much. How many baseball fans watch all 162 games? or NBA fans watch all 82? Not many. But dame near every fan watches all 16 of their team, or at least they are watching redzone to keep tabs on each game. If they miss, it's likely because they had to work or something.

Making the season longer and adding more playoff teams cheapens the regular season.

Cheapen up the game but NOT the COST (to attend) of the game.

Great post tape

Salute the nation