• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

No Offseason again?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Heyward is whining about the possibility of in-person training this offseason. I'm tired of this crap. Get your vaccine or not and show the **** up. If they don't have OTA's, fine, but they damn well better have a full camp (full contact as well) and full pre-season. There's no reason not to. The Steelers are definitely one team that needs it.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Teams probably don't need that much offseason work anyway. With that said, high school teams have practiced athletics without major issues for months.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Many players have had COVID so they have some immunity. Most should have a vaccine in the next month or so. They'll still have to wear masks and whatnot. I can see them scrubbing in-person OTA's but no way should camp or the pre-season be impacted at all. They should be a full go.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Heyward is whining about the possibility of in-person training this offseason. I'm tired of this crap. Get your vaccine or not and show the **** up. If they don't have OTA's, fine, but they damn well better have a full camp (full contact as well) and full pre-season. There's no reason not to. The Steelers are definitely one team that needs it.
Jeez! These guys work half a year making millions.

I’d love to get paid millions to work 20 weeks a year, relax in an offseason, then study some x’s, o’s and hit the weight room

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Jeez! These guys work half a year making millions.

I’d love to get paid millions to work 20 weeks a year, relax in an offseason, then study some x’s, o’s and hit the weight room

Lately for the STEELERS it's only 16 weeks and occasionaly a 17th one. Weeks that matter anyways...............................

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Many players have had COVID so they have some immunity. Most should have a vaccine in the next month or so. They'll still have to wear masks and whatnot. I can see them scrubbing in-person OTA's but no way should camp or the pre-season be impacted at all. They should be a full go.

The discussion regarding no OTA’s or mini-camps etc, isn’t what Cam is talking about. It’s the fact there is no official plan in place from the league on dealing with work conditions due to the pandemic. Last year they made a plan, got it signed off by the players, and for the most part, miraculously got the season in. Right now, there isn’t a plan, in fact it appears each club is waiting on what the league office will decide and that in itself is based upon the President‘s COVID team and the CDC. Goodell, obviously, is pushing for open stadiums, but since we are still in the pandemic it isn’t going to happen until the entire country is basically vaccinated and the new cases drop to well below acceptable percentages.

FYI, just because you had COVID doesn’t mean you have immunity, it just means you have COVID (SARS2 CoV-19) antibodies. However, those antibodies dissipate after 90 days and your susceptibility returns. Plus there are now new strain mutations occurring (based on geographical locations apparently) so you could be susceptible to those as well.

The country hasn’t opened fully back up, and probably won’t until 2022, even then masks will be here to stay. It’s not new in Japan, China and Indonesia. It‘s just the new norm in the west.

im just hoping Training camp returns to St. Vincent this year with some kind of modest fan allowance and games to have at least 50-60% attendance.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
The discussion regarding no OTA’s or mini-camps etc, isn’t what Cam is talking about. It’s the fact there is no official plan in place from the league on dealing with work conditions due to the pandemic. Last year they made a plan, got it signed off by the players, and for the most part, miraculously got the season in. Right now, there isn’t a plan, in fact it appears each club is waiting on what the league office will decide and that in itself is based upon the President‘s COVID team and the CDC. Goodell, obviously, is pushing for open stadiums, but since we are still in the pandemic it isn’t going to happen until the entire country is basically vaccinated and the new cases drop to well below acceptable

FYI, just because you had COVID doesn’t mean you have immunity, it just means you have COVID (SARS2-19) antibodies. However, those antibodies dissipate after 90 days and your susceptibility returns. Plus there are now new strain mutations occurring (based on geographical locations apparently) so you could be susceptible to those as well.

The country hasn’t opened fully back up, and probably won’t until 2022, even then masks will be here to stay. It’s not new in Japan, China and Indonesia. It‘s just the new norm in the west.

im just hoping Training camp returns to St. Vincent this year with some kind of modest fan allowance and games to have at least 50-60% attendance.
Um, since when in the history of mankind does one contract a virus, naturally develop antibodies to it, and not have those antibodies for their entire lifetime?! Like any virus, COVID has mutated. So you can contract a different strain of COVID. But it’s damn near impossible to re-catch the same strand again. Likewise, you taking the vaccine doesn’t make you immune to ALL of COVID. Just the one strand they think is most contagious at the time. To say an artificially manufactured vaccines last longer than your bodies natural defense is poppycosh.
And hey, I’m no antivaccer, but the same thing happens with the flu viruses/vaccines every year. The flu vaccine they offer is the strain they deem the most robust in the region. You can still get the flu. And if you do, it’s a different strand than the one you got the shot for. And if you get it, you’ll never get that exact same strand again because your body has manufactured its own antibodies for it. You may/probably will come in contact with it again in your lifetime, and your body just laughs at it.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Um, since when in the history of mankind does one contract a virus, naturally develop antibodies to it, and not have those antibodies for their entire lifetime?! Like any virus, COVID has mutated. So you can contract a different strain of COVID. But it’s damn near impossible to re-catch the same strand again. Likewise, you taking the vaccine doesn’t make you immune to ALL of COVID. Just the one strand they think is most contagious at the time. To say an artificially manufactured vaccines last longer than your bodies natural defense is poppycosh.
And hey, I’m no antivaccer, but the same thing happens with the flu viruses/vaccines every year. The flu vaccine they offer is the strain they deem the most robust in the region. You can still get the flu. And if you do, it’s a different strand than the one you got the shot for. And if you get it, you’ll never get that exact same strand again because your body has manufactured its own antibodies for it. You may/probably will come in contact with it again in your lifetime, and your body just laughs at it.
Thats what made the coronavirus so dangerous. It hasn’t followed the normal viral lifetime structure. Your explanation of the flu vaccines are accurate and that’s because epidemiologists forecast the various strains each season. But COVID hasn’t followed that pattern. Worldwide, epidemiologists are still trying to figure out the life cycle of the virus and how the strains are mutated. The WHO and CDC haven’t indicated that people achieve immunity once contracting COVID and surviving. There ARE cases people getting COVID again, although with different severity of symptomologies. The virus isn’t behaving like other viral cases where people have been vaccinated. Hell, even the symptoms are not all specific even with the same strains identified so far. There are so many variables involved, most of which involve pre-morbid conditions and respiratory deficiencies, not to mention age groups that is making a viable solution to the virus so difficult.

I’m not a physician, but do work in the healthcare industry and I can say the amount of research being performed and literature on the actual virus I’ve seen is unprecedented. Not even SARS when it happened in the early 2000s caused as much healthcare cost issues or as much worldwide dedication to solving the crisis. SARS itself was feared to possibly become a pandemic but died out in one summer. Point to the matter is that, as of right now, eighteen months later, we still don’t know all the particulars on COVID and likely won’t for some years. All I can say is, I’ve had it, was perfectly healthy before getting it and my symptoms were bad enough that I almost didn’t make it.

Personally, I think Heyward brought up a valid argument that hasn’t been addressed and probably the League offices was hoping it wouldn’t be until after the draft.

steelreeling

Reaction score
Um, since when in the history of mankind does one contract a virus, naturally develop antibodies to it, and not have those antibodies for their entire lifetime?! Like any virus, COVID has mutated.
This is not correct. Factually, many rhamnoviruses and coronaviruses, such as SARS * MERS, were observed to make people sick - dont mutate - and then months later make people sick again.
So you can contract a different strain of COVID. But it’s damn near impossible to re-catch the same strand again.
This incorrect. The data show that it's alarmingly probable that you can get infected twice. SARS-COVID-2 infects only ~0.1% every day; a very low probability event and at yet there are dozens of cases of being infected twice. Statistically, that shouldnt happen if re-catching it wasn't a high probability thing.
Likewise, you taking the vaccine doesn’t make you immune to ALL of COVID.
This is SO correct. You don't get "immunity". You can spread the virus, (and people already have) contract COVID/ been infected by the virus after getting the vaccine.
Just the one strand they think is most contagious at the time.
Incorrect. see above
This is roughly 95% true. Influenza viruses are different - that's the one reason it's 5% untrue. Influenza viruses mutate like hell as well as produce many different H's & N's. But just because you make antibodies to a certain "lineage" of influenza (or coronavirus or rhamnovirus) does not mean you now have immunity to that bug - you do NOT. It can and almost always does make you sick all over again - THAT's why modern science does not have a cure for the common cold (aka 'The Flu').

<scientist bows>

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
As medical coder I get constant Covid updates as well as listings for deaths, tally of cases in Pa, hospital visits, etc brought about. Also remember that with each vaccine they have different coverage timelines attached. Those new strands are still a work in progress to know how it effects people Vs the different administered vaccinations. I will tell you that Covid visits are down but it isn't to where it first was that I would rarely see a hospital case. Still also see false positives which they seem to be catching better by retesting.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The plan is for everyone of them to get vaccinated. I know in PA, you have to have a BMI of 30. That covers the majority of the team. You could be 6'-1" and 230 with solid muscle and have a BMI of 30.3. BMI is ridiculous in general but over half the team can get vaccinated just on that stipulation in PA alone. Other states, who knows but everyone should be able to get a vaccine by now. The elderly should have already gotten theirs.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The plan is for everyone of them to get vaccinated. I know in PA, you have to have a BMI of 30. That covers the majority of the team. You could be 6'-1" and 230 with solid muscle and have a BMI of 30.3. BMI is ridiculous in general but over half the team can get vaccinated just on that stipulation in PA alone. Other states, who knows but everyone should be able to get a vaccine by now. The elderly should have already gotten theirs.
As of the 12th all tiers in Pa. can have the vaccination. You don't have to have a comorbitity. The first tier was health care front line and over 70 age group and underlying health conditions. Which they adjusted to 50 as time went on. In the second tier it was people in community based services,correctional vacilities, dommestic violence shelters, first responders,food workers, US postal workers,grocery store workers, manufacturing workers, clergy,public transit workers and individuals who work in day care. Phase three finance,housing construction, information technology, all other food service, transportation and logistics,legal services, government workers,media,public safety and public health workers. Then it is all others over 16. 16 and 17 can only get pfizer.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
To say an artificially manufactured vaccines last longer than your bodies natural defense is poppycosh.
lol

I think you meant to say "poppycock," bud.

In a related word matter, I did enjoy my mom's chicken paprikash quite a bit. Man, that lady could cook!

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
lol

In a related word matter, I did enjoy my mom's chicken paprikash quite a bit. Man, that lady could cook!

Poopycock was that made up dude on America's Got Talent,.......... anyone remeber him?

We all have our "slang" terms and invented words (which I endorse often) and we leave it up to the individuals reading them to decipher. I embelish in this practice often.

Salute the nation

fedderone

Contributor
Reaction score
This is not correct. Factually, many rhamnoviruses and coronaviruses, such as SARS * MERS, were observed to make people sick - dont mutate - and then months later make people sick again.

This incorrect. The data show that it's alarmingly probable that you can get infected twice. SARS-COVID-2 infects only ~0.1% every day; a very low probability event and at yet there are dozens of cases of being infected twice. Statistically, that shouldnt happen if re-catching it wasn't a high probability thing.

This is SO correct. You don't get "immunity". You can spread the virus, (and people already have) contract COVID/ been infected by the virus after getting the vaccine.

Incorrect. see above

This is roughly 95% true. Influenza viruses are different - that's the one reason it's 5% untrue. Influenza viruses mutate like hell as well as produce many different H's & N's. But just because you make antibodies to a certain "lineage" of influenza (or coronavirus or rhamnovirus) does not mean you now have immunity to that bug - you do NOT. It can and almost always does make you sick all over again - THAT's why modern science does not have a cure for the common cold (aka 'The Flu').

<scientist bows>
If you are indeed an actual scientist well versed in such things, and not a Bill Nye the Science Guy “scientist”, I will absolutely defer to your expertise.
I am NOT a scientist/doctor/immunologist. I do work in the healthcare industry and have for over 20 years. My statements are based off conversations I’ve had with people smarter than I ( doctors ) and the things I see pushing papers behind the scenes.
I appreciate your thorough explanation and fact based rebuttal. Thank you!

fedderone

Contributor
Reaction score
lol

No, I meant and said what I wanted to.
poppycosh.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
No, I meant and said what I wanted to.
poppycosh.
While I appreciate your conviction, "poppycosh" isn't a recognized word in the English language, and even as a slang term ("a random shout for joy"), your usage would be incorrect.

Just trying to help you out. ✌️

steelreeling

Reaction score
If you are indeed an actual scientist well versed in such things, and not a Bill Nye the Science Guy “scientist”, I will absolutely defer to your expertise.
I am NOT a scientist/doctor/immunologist. I do work in the healthcare industry and have for over 20 years. My statements are based off conversations I’ve had with people smarter than I ( doctors ) and the things I see pushing papers behind the scenes.
I appreciate your thorough explanation and fact based rebuttal. Thank you!
Well, i think you are most-of-way-there correct my man.

This is one of things that i CANNOT fathom WHY IN THE HELL the govt is not spending billions and billions of dollars supporting companies like Altimmune - $ALT or Codagenix (COVI-VAC). Any one of those attenuated nasal vaccines will probably work. And they each END THIS ******* PANDMEIC! Once we get a nasal spray that produces IgA1 antibodies in your mucus - it's all ******* over, no matter what damn strain mutates. America, unparalleled scientific and financial power and now pharma executives run this race to the bottom. jfc, why?

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

This is one of things that i CANNOT fathom WHY IN THE HELL the govt is not spending billions and billions of dollars supporting companies like Altimmune - $ALT or Codagenix (COVI-VAC). Any one of those attenuated nasal vaccines will probably work. And they each END THIS ******* PANDMEIC! Once we get a nasal spray that produces IgA1 antibodies in your mucus - it's all ******* over, no matter what damn strain mutates. America, unparalleled scientific and financial power and now pharma executives run this race to the bottom. jfc, why?
Oh I suspiciously think you know steelreeling. Big Pharm will do anything and everything to filter monetary solutions to them. Big Pharm lobbyists are dug in like ticks with the govt agencies like FDA and the US Health a s Human Services Dept.

fedderone

Contributor
Reaction score
While I appreciate your conviction, "poppycosh" isn't a recognized word in the English language, and even as a slang term ("a random shout for joy"), your usage would be incorrect.

Just trying to help you out. ✌️
I guess I need to explain my life to you and why I use a certain word?
It’s my way, and other friends of mine’s way, of “sticking it to” a friend of ours who thought the saying was poppycosh. We have been collectively saying it in mock honor of him for over 30 years.
But thank you for DuckDuckGo-ing the word just to be safe.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I make up words all the time. Ol girl get's quite the kick out of it. I especially like to replace song words with penis synonyms and sing them to her. She appreciates it immensely.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Ask the Chinese and we will find out all we need to know. This is their lab baby.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

MONEY

BIG pharma has always been about the money, that's why.

Salute the nation

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I need to explain my life to you and why I use a certain word?
It’s my way, and other friends of mine’s way, of “sticking it to” a friend of ours who thought the saying was poppycosh. We have been collectively saying it in mock honor of him for over 30 years.
But thank you for DuckDuckGo-ing the word just to be safe.
First of all, I couldn't care less about an explanation of your life, or your motivations. I didn't ask. I was simply trying to prevent you from looking stupid in the future by using the wrong word again.

Secondly, your use of some bullshit make-believe word in this forum is valueless, because you are one of just three people (and the only person here) who gets this particular inside joke.

And while I'm sure "DuckDuckGo-ing" has some riveting import in your life as well, do me a favor and don't bother explaining that one. Thanks.