• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Non hitters for the Pens

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Am I missing something in this series? Being at the game Saturday and watching last night what is up with Columbus beating the crap out of the Pens as we hardy make an effort to hit anyone for Columbus. Columbus seems so much more aggressive than us, pointing the finger at the goalie when we have turned the puck over giving Columbus more and more chances. how sick is this making all us Pen fans??

Rod Farva

Reaction score
The Pens have maybe or three guys that are fairly notorious hitters. Glass, Bortuzzo and to some extent Neal. They aren't a very gritty team. When they try to act like one they get their butts handed to them.....remember Philly 2 years ago? Boston last year?

The BJ's, a younger, fast and bigger team are putting it all out there on the ice. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. Like I said in the other thread they've already exceeded expectations this year and anything beyond this series would be gravy to to them.

Meanwhile the Pens have all the pressure on them.....highly skilled, highly ranked and highly paid team that hasn't been all that everyone thinks they should be and is expected by may to be the SCW team year in year out, despite the statistical improbability of that.

But to answer your question, I think the Pens need to be able to absorb the hitting and ignore the after the whistle bullshit. Since the Philly debacle 2 years ago I think teams are all trying to repeat that by getting under the Pens' skin and into their heads. Not saying they shouldn't hit and hit hard when the opportunities are there. That shouldn't be their focus though.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
A lot of the hitting Columbus is doing is sometimes referred to as interference and is usually called in the regular season and is regularly overlooked in the playoffs...

Rod Farva

Reaction score
A lot of the hitting Columbus is doing is sometimes referred to as interference and is usually called in the regular season and is regularly overlooked in the playoffs...

True that......see my "ambiguous officiating" thread and throw that in as well.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
That's one thing about this series. You can see what the BJs game plan (at least in part) is - hit hard, control the puck everywhere, and set up for rebounds. It looks like the Pens game plan is "dump it in and see what happens." Still not convinced that we take this series.