• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Nose Tackle should be our top priority...

RollRed

Reaction score
When you run the 3-4, it is imperative that your NT is a stud. He has got to draw more than his fair share of double teams so your linebackers can make the tackle on running plays and pressure the QB on pass plays. If you run the 3-4 and your NT is being handled by one blocker, you got problems. The only way I won't be disappointed if we don't draft a D tackle in the first round is if Denard or one of the other top tier corners is available at #15 and we are able to snag one of them. Other than that, it's gotta be D line all the way. Aaron Donald sure would look good in black & gold.

F

Franco

Uh,no.Donald has no position in a 3-4 and nose tackles only play about 30% of snaps. We need a CB or WR more.

RollRed

Reaction score
Uh,no.Donald has no position in a 3-4 and nose tackles only play about 30% of snaps. We need a CB or WR more.

No question we need a corner and receiver, but imho it's the defense that needs the most help. Like I said before, to have a great 3-4 defense you must have a beast anchoring the middle of the line. I will agree that Donald isn't the best choice after doing a little more research on him... turns out he's much smaller than I thought he was. Try to remember how much better the secondary looked when we had a line that could stop the run consistently and command double teams on passing downs that helped the LB's actually get to the QB once in a while. Maybe if we do that we can put Troy back in the secondary instead of having him play in the box half the time.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This year, I wouldn't draft a nose tackle in the 1st two rounds unless we got an extra 2nd round pick in a trade. We have other much more pressing issues as everyone knows - CB and WR.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
There also isn't that dominating "beast" of a 3-4 NT in this draft worthy of a first round pick. There's no Hampton, Wilfork, Poe type prospects. Nix isn't half the prospect and already has bad knee's.

ZACKB

Reaction score
I would possibly take Nix in rd 2...especially if we can get another #2.

dobre shunka

Reaction score
There also isn't that dominating "beast" of a 3-4 NT in this draft worthy of a first round pick. There's no Hampton, Wilfork, Poe type prospects. Nix isn't half the prospect and already has bad knee's.

Yep. And I'm not sure there's one worth taking anywhere in this draft. Hageman is about as close as it comes, and has that dual ability Tomlin/Colbert says they're looking for. But geez, that guy is too big a mental timebomb and hot/cold for me to stake a R1 on. If he's there in R2, maybe put him on the Adams short leash plan. But that's about as fake as Cowher's chompers.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Nix or Ellis could be a nice fit. Hageman would be a DE in our scheme

Vader

Reaction score
When you run the 3-4, it is imperative that your NT is a stud. He has got to draw more than his fair share of double teams so your linebackers can make the tackle on running plays and pressure the QB on pass plays. If you run the 3-4 and your NT is being handled by one blocker, you got problems. The only way I won't be disappointed if we don't draft a D tackle in the first round is if Denard or one of the other top tier corners is available at #15 and we are able to snag one of them. Other than that, it's gotta be D line all the way. Aaron Donald sure would look good in black & gold.

So NT should be our top priority... unless one of the top CBs are there? So it isn't really our top priority... it's kind of our 2nd... maybe.

Anyway, there is no reason to take a DL early this year because the value isn't there. As Dobre has pointed out, McLendon didn't play badly last year.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
What if the Steelers drafted Aaron Donald, and put him at Linebacker...ala Levon Kirkland. Donald ran a 4.6 forty and weighs about 288. Sorry, just putting it out there. I know there is no shot in hell of this even being a remote possability. Kirkland was a linebacker from HS, at Clemson, and he really was a physical freak. I haven't seen a backer like him since.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
How can replacing a guy (McClendon) who played pretty well last year, should still be improving as a player, is signed for a couple more years and who plays a position that will be on the field for only 50% of the snaps (best case) be the top priority for a team that needs talent almost everywhere?

Lmob0621

Reaction score
How can replacing a guy (McClendon) who played pretty well last year, should still be improving as a player, is signed for a couple more years and who plays a position that will be on the field for only 50% of the snaps (best case) be the top priority for a team that needs talent almost everywhere?

Replacing McClendon at Nose Tackle would allow him to move to a Defensive End position? Not saying we should go for that position...that might be the reasoning though.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Replacing McClendon at Nose Tackle would allow him to move to a Defensive End position? Not saying we should go for that position...that might be the reasoning though.

I'm sure that's part of the reasoning but it's still saying our top priority is getting a guy who is going to be on the field only 40% of the time.

Vader

Reaction score
Sounds like another attempt to talk about taking Nix.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
I don't care what you guys say-

but I would be much more disappointed in Nix at 1.15 than I would Ebron.

Ebron should be a lower 1st round grade. As for Nix? 2nd round- easily. When considering his health and utilization value.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Nix in rd 2 I am totally on board with, or Tuitt. We can move McClendon to DE if necessary.

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
NT main priority, on a team where the D spent 65% of its time last season in sub package??? Uhhh, no thanks.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
for the last time Donald is not a nt but a 43 under dt 3T if you want to convert him he is too short for de so ilb is the only place since runs a 4.6 for a 280 LBS, it would be a project get him in the mid 260's, we need a impact player at 15 not a guy that is going to show results in 1.5-2 years from now, thus why cb or wr, te are should be the criteria, only other position is de where hageman if we trade down can fit in.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
NT that should be on our board
Nix notre dame
Ellis ls tech
Allen wisconson
Jones penn st
Cobble kuntucky

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Let me get this straight, because I seem to be missing it. Ziggy Hood was lambasted on this board for years because he could not find his way to a QB with a road map. Yet, some believe if they draft a NT, McLendon can become a decent DE, even though he came off the field while Hood stayed on the field in passing situations.

Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh, that is the ticket. A little too early in the day to be in the sauce fellas.

kev4heels

Reaction score
I think a NT is still important for stopping the run. However, the NFL is a pass-happy league.
I am not investing pick 1.15 on a NT that will be a 2-down player. In the 2nd round only if he is exceptional at 2-gapping.

Not saying teams won't still desire to run the ball (see Seahags, 49ers, etc...). But again, the NFL is more sub-package football now.
Which is why I'm guessing we will see a nickel CB or ILB that can drop well into coverage drafted in rd 3 or 4.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
We need a corner more than we need a NT right now. That's not to say we don't draft a wide body. I see us drafting at least two DT/DEs and two CBs in this draft. We need bodies.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We now need a QB, as Big Ben saying he will play 5-7 more years will jinx him, and he will now be hurt all the time. He also did not say he will play for the Steelers.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
We now need a QB, as Big Ben saying he will play 5-7 more years will jinx him, and he will now be hurt all the time. He also did not say he will play for the Steelers.

He also did not say he would play in the CFL.