• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Nothing about us trading for another pick - Isaiahh Loudermilk, DE

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Wish they would've have seen that something special in the 6th or 7th when he still would've been sitting there on the board.

It's easy for us to criticize, but maybe they had reason to believe he was going to be picked before they had the chance.

All these analysts in the media don't know everything, though this trade and pick is definitely questionable

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The other reason I like it is because the talking heads hate it!

Fake news!
Welcome to the Pittsburgh Steelers Isiah!

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
some have him at 290 and others at 274, at 6"7 will be a challenge if he drops to say 265 as a developmental edge rusher and DE even at 274 big enough to play DE but must add Bulk if going to a 5 tech. Interesting chess piece

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
It's easy for us to criticize, but maybe they had reason to believe he was going to be picked before they had the chance.

All these analysts in the media don't know everything, though this trade and pick is definitely questionable
I don't like the trade itself, but like steel dino, I do remember the player from watching Wisconsin play. Would have been nice to pick him up later, but obviously the Steelers didn't think Loudermilk would be there in the 6th round at #216. Pittsburgh didn't have a fifth round pick this year; they already traded that away worthlessly in the Chris Womley deal.

So while the deal still sucks, it's not as bad as I originally thought. They didn't "move up" and also give away a pick in this draft. They traded a 4th round pick next year straight up for #156 this year. Maybe Loudermilk would have been there 60 picks later, or maybe not...so I can at least follow their thinking.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Is this guy a NT or DE ?

deljzc

Reaction score
This is the same group that used a 4th rounder on a punter.... so we know what they think of 4th round picks.

In fact, based on the history of this regimes' 4th rounders, maybe using a 4th on a 6th round talent is an upgrade.

From 2007 to 2020, based on Pro Football Reference CareerAV calculator, we have accumulated a TOTAL of 60 career AV between ALL our 4th round picks. That's 15 players total. The highest producer is Martavis Bryant with 19. Seven of the 15 produced ZERO careerAV (some are still active). And 18 of that production came from Tomlin's first draft in 2007, where (somehow) 7 carAV came from a punter (Sepulveda) and 11 from Ryan McBean.

I mean, this franchise isn't exactly killing it in the 4th round. We haven't picked a true late round gem since Vince Williams in 2013.

Arguably this is like trading nothing for nothing.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He's too small for a NT and really even a DE. He tall and pretty lean. Maybe they just brought him in to jump up and down and try to get in the QB's face as I don't think he is strong enough or good enough to actually get pressure on the QB. He certainly wasn't known for it in college.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
He's too small for a NT and really even a DE. He tall and pretty lean. Maybe they just brought him in to jump up and down and try to get in the QB's face as I don't think he is strong enough or good enough to actually get pressure on the QB. He certainly wasn't known for it in college.
He dropped weight and the Steelers asked him to put it back on. I guess he usually plays between 280 and 290. If he sticks he’ll probably get it to between 290 and 300.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Arguably this is like trading nothing for nothing.

Here is what bothers me about trading a 2022 4th rounder for a 2021 5th rounder - this team will almost certainly be looking for an upgrade at QB in 2022. They will need all the draft capital available if they want to make a move. The team is likely to get a 3rd round comp for Dupree, and possibly a 4th for Hilton. So if they have a 1st, 2nd, two 3rds, and two 4ths, they have a lot of draft capital to make a move.

They just gave up some of that capital for basically nothing, a guy they could have drafted in the 6th.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
If the Steelers need to move up for a QB, a 4th in 2022 wasn't going to be a part of that package. It was a wasted pick because they used a future 4th on a guy that had the traits of a 7th or UDFA.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If the Steelers need to move up for a QB, a 4th in 2022 wasn't going to be a part of that package. It was a wasted pick because they used a future 4th on a guy that had the traits of a 7th or UDFA.

Jesus, I was talking about draft capital. To move up to say a top-10 spot from [x], the team will probably have to give up their #1, #2, and 2023 #1.

Having that 4th along with two 3rds gives them the chance to get some other decent players, or perhaps package those picks to move back into the 2nd. Giving up a 4th for a guy likely to be available in the 6th thereby makes no sense.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
He looked good in 2019 but not at a position that exists in our defense. I can't remember seeing him play in 2020 but I watched a lot less ball too. My guess it hat they try and run him at OLB/DE after having him cut to about 265lbs.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Moving up to get a QB next year will take 1st round picks from upcoming years.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Having that 4th along with two 3rds gives them the chance to get some other decent players, or perhaps package those picks to move back into the 2nd. Giving up a 4th for a guy likely to be available in the 6th thereby makes no sense.
Well this makes sense, that isn't what you originally said.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Pulled this from another site, thought I'd post it for those who think Loudermilk isn't the exact type of DE the Steelers are looking for.

Aaron Smith's combine stats versus Loudermilk's. Just from a physical traits standpoint, here are their numbers:

Height: 6'5 1/8" (Smith); 6'6 3/8" (Loudermilk)
Weight: 279 lbs.; 274 lbs.
40 time: 5.08 secs.; 5.08 secs (listed as low as 4.95)
10 split: 1.69 secs.; 1.71 secs. (listed as low as 1.63)
Broad J: 110 in.; 112 in.
Vertical J: 29.5 in.; 28.5 in.
Bench: 19 reps; 21 reps

Also, Loudermilk stated that he lost weight for his pro day and his normal playing weight is around 290.

The Steelers didn't just randomly draft this kid. They invested a 2022 4th round pick to grab him where they did. It was a concerted, pre-meditated effort. That tells me they had this guy circled as someone they definitely wanted to add to the mix. Probably did so knowing how difficult it is to find the type of DE that works in our 3-4 front.

This may be the most intriguing pick for me, given how nobody thought much of the kid. Steelers brainstrust thought otherwise, in a pretty remarkable fashion.

Ask yourself, who was Aaron Smith, when he got drafted in the - cough - 4th round back in 1999 out of tiny Northern Colorado? I wonder how the draft gurus & talking heads graded that pick?

And no, I am not suggesting Loudermilk will be as good as Aaron Smith, arguably one of the best D-linemen we've ever had. What I am suggesting, is this pick wasn't some wild dart throw by the Steelers FO & coaches. I think they see a player who can come in as Cam's understudy and potentially be a nice piece in this D.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
He dropped weight and the Steelers asked him to put it back on. I guess he usually plays between 280 and 290. If he sticks he’ll probably get it to between 290 and 300.
Yeah he was 293 and dropped to 276 trying to play 4-3 edge I think.... hes a clear cut tweener.... good luck to him lol

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting pick...fatten him up and we can use him at DL. Milk and Buggs next year could be 'something'.

I think he's too big to play OLB IMO...

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Kid now has huge expectations to produce. I think it was a reach and not worth giving up the draft capital. Even with an extra comp pick next year, we could have used that to bolster our depth and special teams unit and not given away a future cheap contract.