• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Now for something completely different....Moats

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Unless I am confusing it with another signing, but I thought "Meh" about the Thomas signing. Will have to go back and look.

he probably is "meh" if you want him to be a clean cut starter but he can start in a pinch, he's experience and that's valuable with so many young guys

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Looking at Tuitt on tape I can't imagine him sitting during passing downs. I think you put Thomas in on obvious run downs and Tuitt in on passing downs and we would have a nice dual threat. I think Tuitt can take that next step and be an every down DE but I don't think he can as a rookie.

Wingman

Reaction score
We will start to see what has been picked up and improved soon. I hope for lots of improvement we needed it.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at Tuitt on tape I can't imagine him sitting during passing downs. I think you put Thomas in on obvious run downs and Tuitt in on passing downs and we would have a nice dual threat. I think Tuitt can take that next step and be an every down DE but I don't think he can as a rookie.

+1 Mr. FairLane

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
More on the secondary depth or lack there of.
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2014/07/numbers-crunch-turning-secondary-11/

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
To me, it's the unproven talent at OLB and depth at CB. Our chief worries.

Vader

Reaction score
I think it's almost impossible to have depth everywhere when you have an elite QB so you must depend on young guys to step up if the starters get injured, that's the way with every team, none of them have depth everywhere, not even the favorites

The Steelers always build through the draft. If they had drafted better (Hood for one) then you can keep a good team together. They've drafted poorly for years now. I know it is impossible to have depth at all positions but the Steelers don't even have great starters at many positions. As much as I like Cam he isn't Hampton, Smith or even Keisel. Mclendon is an above average starter but not a Hampton. So not only is the depth not there but the starters aren't cutting it either. This is a drafting issue not a money issue as the Steelers aren't going to sign high priced vets regardless of how much they pay the QB.

Last edited:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers always build through the draft. If they had drafted better (Hood for one) then you can keep a good team together. They've drafted poorly for years now. I know it is impossible to have depth at all positions but the Steelers don't even have great starters at many positions. As much as I like Cam he isn't Hampton, Smith or even Keisel. Mclendon is an above average starter but not a Hampton. So not only is the depth not there but the starters aren't cutting it either. This is a drafting issue not a money issue as the Steelers aren't going to sign high priced vets regardless of how much they pay the QB.

it's an issue on every team, the draft is almost a lottery, and no team hits even the majority of their picks. Of course I expect a better performance from the scouting team and the front office but let's be realistic and recognize this is an issue on all teams. When a team nails a couple of draft you see the team rising for a couple of years and then free agency takes care of dismantling the roster and the process starts over, why? cause it's imposible to nail the draft each an every year
Give me at least a capable starter if we can't get a star out of every 1st and 2nd rounder, that's way better than a complete bust

Vader

Reaction score
it's an issue on every team, the draft is almost a lottery, and no team hits even the majority of their picks. Of course I expect a better performance from the scouting team and the front office but let's be realistic and recognize this is an issue on all teams. When a team nails a couple of draft you see the team rising for a couple of years and then free agency takes care of dismantling the roster and the process starts over, why? cause it's imposible to nail the draft each an every year
Give me at least a capable starter if we can't get a star out of every 1st and 2nd rounder, that's way better than a complete bust

True however you need a star every few years. A team full of capable starters gets you maybe 10-6 but if you throw in a few busts you get 8-8. Also QB is huge in the NFL. If you don't have one you ain't winning. He doesn't have to be great but he must at least be a game manager (like Dilfer). Right now the Steelers have one of a handful of QBs that has any chance of a SB. But because of poor drafting the team isn't among the elite even with an elite QB. Brown is the only "star" they've drafted in years. They have to draft better. If Shazier is just an average Lb and Jones is only average then this team isn't going anywhere unless the offense just takes off. They need their draft picks to be better than average starter.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
True however you need a star every few years. A team full of capable starters gets you maybe 10-6 but if you throw in a few busts you get 8-8. Also QB is huge in the NFL. If you don't have one you ain't winning. He doesn't have to be great but he must at least be a game manager (like Dilfer). Right now the Steelers have one of a handful of QBs that has any chance of a SB. But because of poor drafting the team isn't among the elite even with an elite QB. Brown is the only "star" they've drafted in years. They have to draft better. If Shazier is just an average Lb and Jones is only average then this team isn't going anywhere unless the offense just takes off. They need their draft picks to be better than average starter.

agreed, let's hope Shazier and Jones develop

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Good post vader, thanks for the insight. You are right on about the "stars" and "capable starters" . Nice

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My take --

Our offense will need to be in sync early as we'll likely lean on them to put up points. I don't think this will be an issue. I believe the top 4 offensive skill players (Ben, Brown, Heath, Bell) will shoulder the load while we figure out where/what to do with Wheaton, Archer and Bryant. We already know what we have in Moore. I'd think we lean heavily on the run game with Bell being the back between the 20s and Blount being short-yardage/goal line. If Wheaton/Bryant can blossom into a capable WR on the other side, it should open things up. I truly believe our OL just may have gelled over the past year, as the injuries forced them to trust in one another and communicate more. While I'm still not sold on Beachum as a LT, he's proven to be capable. Beachum - Foster - Pouncey - DeCastro - Gilbert/Adams does look good on paper. Hopefully they're as good on the field.

Defensively, I think we'll be stout up the middle. While a lot of people hate on Timmons, he's pretty ******* reliable. I dont think Shazier will be much of a liability and will be able to grasp the Defensive playbook. Our pass coverage of TEs and RBs increased with drafting him. If Worilds can avoid the injury bug, he'll play himself into a good payday. We should hope he does. If Jarvis advances on the edge, and stops "thinking" and starts "playing", we'll be fine on the front 7. My only concern is our secondary at CB. As I see it now, talent-wise, we're just average. Our safeties will be involved in a lot early on, I believe.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I really do think the Steelers realized that the issue in the secondary was Clark. He just couldnt provide the deep help anymore. The Steelers targeted Mitchell for this very reason. The Steelers use alot of cover three looks and the free safety has to be able to get deep and cover sideline to sideline. Clark.wasnt able to do that anymore. The Seahawks use this defense alot too. Sherman gets alot of the pub and rightly so but Earl Thomas is what allows him to be so agressive he knows Thomas is going to be where he needs to be. Taylor may not be able to cover the other teams NO 1 like he used too but he wasnt the main issue. Clark was. Also its time for Allen too stay healthy and assume that NO 1 corner role. He has the tools.

Steelerfan

Reaction score
Geez, what's with all the positivity here? Its still the off-season and you're supposed to be miserable. I hope this team proves they are not the Cowboys and have another 8-8 season (there, take that!). Need a few more debby downers to chime in here. :cool:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Geez, what's with all the positivity here? Its still the off-season and you're supposed to be miserable. I hope this team proves they are not the Cowboys and have another 8-8 season (there, take that!). Need a few more debby downers to chime in here. :cool:

Hey, everybody's overloading with positive training camp anticipation. Can't blame them, seems like forever getting here. Great off season team moves/acquisitions and most are primed. Now about Debbie Downer. So many here have ****** / butt ****** / jacked / jammed / felt / you name it, it has been done to her, over & over & over & over & over & over (get my drift), so many times that no one wants sloppy 1,538,201 's turn. She wore out, nuff said @!!!

Salute the nation

jdell

Reaction score
Mitchell should help the back end, Hopefully Cortez Allen stays healthy and plays himself into the #1 role. I certainly hope Ike plays better than he did last year. At least he wont have to take on all #1 wr's. Gay is a solid #3. S. Thomas and R. Golden will be nickle backs when needed. It looks like Antwon Blake makes it for special teams. If Richardson beats out Mccain and Isaiah Green he becomes the project and plays some special teams.

Wingman

Reaction score
Hey, everybody's overloading with positive training camp anticipation. Can't blame them, seems like forever getting here. Great off season team moves/acquisitions and most are primed. Now about Debbie Downer. So many here have ****** / butt ****** / jacked / jammed / felt / you name it, it has been done to her, over & over & over & over & over & over (get my drift), so many times that no one wants sloppy 1,538,201 's turn. She wore out, nuff said @!!!

Salute the nation
I know there are guys on her that would hit that.