• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Odds That Rudolph Gets Traded?

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
he was asked to throw 50 times in a game with a bad line and the defense couldn't stop the run. He was using a bad game plan designed poorly for Ben. Yet he still completed 60 percent and had us in position to win. This game was not all on Mason.
Every excuse in the book, as per usual.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I really don’t care who wins. I just want everyone to push each other to their absolute best. That way whoever wins will be the best version of themselves possible.
It is early but the Steelers really aren’t overly invested in Trubisky as his deal makes him easily cuttable next year. If Rudolph starts blows it up and forces the Steelers to long term sign him then Pickett is a backup for a couple seasons then hopefully develops enough to trade him and re-coop our first round investment. Or at least a second. So if Rudolph wins and does awesome it’s really not bad in any way shape or form for the team. If he wins but does marginal then Pickett will likely be handed the keys next year to see if he can right the ship.
The steelers cap model for the next couple of seasons is reliant on not paying premium money for a qb until the cap has expanded three years down the road. It wouldnt be a great thing, especially if Rudolph regressed.

Hey I am a big Rudy defender, but the reality is it would be best if he plays well enough to be traded and the other two legitimately beat him out...

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Don’t let facts get in the way of good old Rudy bashing…it’s just a simple narrative to try to pin all the ineptness exhibited in that game on Rudy…who showed he is what we thought he is-an average backup/game manager trying to overcome the worst OC in the league
The fact is, Rudy sucks as a starting quarterback. It's not just his ineptness against the Lions. He's had a QB rating lower than 90 (which is well below league average to start with) in 8 of his 10 starts, including under 40 in two of those games. He is a backup, not a starter. Some of you can't understand it.

But I know, I know...he had the Steelers "in position to win" at the end of overtime after putting up 16 points against one of the worst passing defenses in the league. Friggin' awesome, boy. Can't ignore that fact.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
The steelers cap model for the next couple of seasons is reliant on not paying premium money for a qb until the cap has expanded three years down the road. It wouldnt be a great thing, especially if Rudolph regressed.

Hey I am a big Rudy defender, but the reality is it would be best if he plays well enough to be traded and the other two legitimately beat him out...
Ok, lets say Rudolph has a big year. 4,000+ yards, 30+ tds, less than 15 ints. That’s I think all very optimistic. How much does he demand? Franchise tag projects at 31 million so worst case scenario we dump Trubisky (saves us 8 million) and tag him. If he wants a longer term deal I don’t think he gets any record setting deals for one good year. Probably tries to line it up for his early 30’s for the big blockbuster deal. So maybe 4 years 120 million with 50 guaranteed. Steelers are projected to be 11 million under next year and cutting Trubisky gets them to 19 million. Probably not going to have to get too crazy to fit Rudolph and Pickett (3m) under the cap.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Ok, lets say Rudolph has a big year. 4,000+ yards, 30+ tds, less than 15 ints. That’s I think all very optimistic. How much does he demand? Franchise tag projects at 31 million so worst case scenario we dump Trubisky (saves us 8 million) and tag him. If he wants a longer term deal I don’t think he gets any record setting deals for one good year. Probably tries to line it up for his early 30’s for the big blockbuster deal. So maybe 4 years 120 million with 50 guaranteed. Steelers are projected to be 11 million under next year and cutting Trubisky gets them to 19 million. Probably not going to have to get too crazy to fit Rudolph and Pickett (3m) under the cap.
they have something like 40 free agents next year, 20-23 of which will be on this roster. thats a lot to replace with that money. The steelers always plan out big contracts to fit in accordingly. With a first rounder in tow, Its unlikely they would break the bank for Rudolph regardless, though I guess they could tag and trade him or let him walk for the comp pick...

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
If Rudolph pulls this off i doubt we would franchise him. I do not think other teams would throw near that much money at him either. Id be hesitant to go over 15 / yr for 3-4 yrs. If Rudolph plays lights out Pickett will either be expendable or relegated to backup duty.
I do not see mason getting anywhere near those numbers though. He is not mobile, has questionable arm strength, and is playing behind a questionable oline. Mason has not shown much in the games he played so he would have to make a ridiculous improvement to sniff those numbers. I don't hate mason just don't see him being anything above an average at best backup. I hope he proves me wrong and plays lights out

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
The fact is, Rudy sucks as a starting quarterback. It's not just his ineptness against the Lions. He's had a QB rating lower than 90 (which is well below league average to start with) in 8 of his 10 starts, including under 40 in two of those games. He is a backup, not a starter. Some of you can't understand it.

But I know, I know...he had the Steelers "in position to win" at the end of overtime after putting up 16 points against one of the worst passing defenses in the league. Friggin' awesome, boy. Can't ignore that fact.
Sorry, total BS comparison. Try comparing his first 10 starts to almost every other QB in their first 10 starts, THAT is where the comparison looks pretty favorable to Rudy overall. You are NOT giving his fair due. He has played pretty damn well for a guy in his first 10 starts PARTICULARLY when the factors I mentioned are taken into account. Ben's start was the exception not the rule and he had VERY favorable conditions to start his career. A QB in his first 10 starts with a winning record and rating above 80 puts him in the top half of all QB going back to the early 90's. Considering the **** show offense he has been forced to run and the absolute beating he has endured I am pretty high on what he has accomplished. This hate is purely irrational and unwarranted. The kid is one tough SOB to have come back and played after the Ravens hit knocked his out cold, and on a play that was very Ben like if you go back and watch it. He shouldn't have been back in for at least 4 more weeks than he was given. Hell I wasn't sure he would ever play again after that hit. But sure lets blame a guy who had started just a few games at that point for the fiasco that was Fichtner's offense. Canada wasn't much better last year and Rudy had to overcome that and not knowing he was the starter until the night before and then was asked to throw 50 times. Genius move by Canada.

Last edited:

Wolf44

Reaction score
Rudolph will again fail when the live bullets start flying. He is slow to read defense, slow to deliver the ball and has no pocket presence. Both Pickett and Trubisky have gotten better and better as camp progressed, Rudolph not so much. He is what he has always been ,hot garbage.n

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I see a lot of what some here see as well, Mason Rudolph is who he is.

I have a tendency to root for the underdog and Mason has definitely been that. I don't root against any of our beloved STEELERS players and actually root for and hope they play their very best because ultimately that will improve the team.

I like this QB battle and I just hope our Coaching staff plays who is the best and not let the $$$$$$$$ or pick rank determine the starter.

Salute the nation

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score

Side note Detroit also got some very key guys back for that game that had been missing. Go look what they did from there on out.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
Rudolph will again fail when the live bullets start flying. He is slow to read defense, slow to deliver the ball and has no pocket presence. Both Pickett and Trubisky have gotten better and better as camp progressed, Rudolph not so much. He is what he has always been ,hot garbage.n
More BS. He has gotten far better at all those things but you just have an agenda and won't let it go.

Wolf44

Reaction score
Sure he's gotten better in PRACTICE where he can't get hit. He sucks and will always suck . That is not an agenda that is the truth. Mr. Checkdown has no qualities worthy of being a starting QB and the Steelers ran to Trubisky in free agency and to Pickett in the draft because they have seen his sorry *** for 4 y ears and know he is a turd. But YOU know he has gotten better at pocket presence, reading defenses and getting rid of the ball quickly LMFAO. **** Rudolph

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Sorry, total BS comparison. Try comparing his first 10 starts to almost every other QB in their first 10 starts, THAT is where the comparison looks pretty favorable to Rudy overall. You are NOT giving his fair due. He has played pretty damn well for a guy in his first 10 starts PARTICULARLY when the factors I mentioned are taken into account. Ben's start was the exception not the rule and he had VERY favorable conditions to start his career. A QB in his first 10 starts with a winning record and rating above 80 puts him in the top half of all QB going back to the early 90's. Considering the **** show offense he has been forced to run and the absolute beating he has endured I am pretty high on what he has accomplished. This hate is purely irrational and unwarranted. The kid is one tough SOB to have come back and played after the Ravens hit knocked his out cold, and on a play that was very Ben like if you go back and watch it. He shouldn't have been back in for at least 4 more weeks than he was given. Hell I wasn't sure he would ever play again after that hit. But sure lets blame a guy who had started just a few games at that point for the fiasco that was Fichtner's offense. Canada wasn't much better last year and Rudy had to overcome that and not knowing he was the starter until the night before and then was asked to throw 50 times. Genius move by Canada.
Here is a nice clip of Mason's TDs from 2019. I want to know where these wide open WRs have been? On a side note you cant just go by Mason's numbers. The game where JuJu scored on the slant was 76 yrds and Mason threw for 174 that game. Also in that game DJ was wide open for a 40 yrd so Mason basically threw for 50 yrds besides those 2 passes.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sure he's gotten better in PRACTICE where he can't get hit. He sucks and will always suck . That is not an agenda that is the truth. Mr. Checkdown has no qualities worthy of being a starting QB and the Steelers ran to Trubisky in free agency and to Pickett in the draft because they have seen his sorry *** for 4 y ears and know he is a turd. But YOU know he has gotten better at pocket presence, reading defenses and getting rid of the ball quickly LMFAO. **** Rudolph
What team offered you the head scouting position?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
If Rudolph pulls this off i doubt we would franchise him. I do not think other teams would throw near that much money at him either. Id be hesitant to go over 15 / yr for 3-4 yrs. If Rudolph plays lights out Pickett will either be expendable or relegated to backup duty.
I do not see mason getting anywhere near those numbers though. He is not mobile, has questionable arm strength, and is playing behind a questionable oline. Mason has not shown much in the games he played so he would have to make a ridiculous improvement to sniff those numbers. I don't hate mason just don't see him being anything above an average at best backup. I hope he proves me wrong and plays lights out
Jimmy garapolo signed a 5 year 130 million dollar deal for throwing 1560 yards and 7td/5int. 15 million a year is Jameis Winston money. If Rudolph throws for 4k and 30/15 someone is giving him 30 million a year. It’s scary if your assessment is true considering he’s been head and shoulders better than anyone else on the team. Meaning you feel Pickett and Trubisky aren’t even backups.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn’t have a problem with them going after Trubisky for competition. I also like the Pickett pick. With that being said, I feel Trubisky has the harder road in camp. He was a 1st rounder, and Tomlin will try to beat that square peg in around hole for at least 6 games. Trubisky is on his 3rd team for a reason, and likely be on a 4th before Nov.

Wolf44

Reaction score
What team offered you the head scouting position?
Care to bet if Rudolph ever starts another regular season game for the Steelers ? He is a POS QB that former players, current players and others have openly questioned his ability. Preseason we will see the same old Rudolph, the QB the Steelers have so much faith in they immediately signed a better free agent QB and then a #1 pick on a QB, yeah they see the new and improved Rudolph.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Care to bet if Rudolph ever starts another regular season game for the Steelers ? He is a POS QB that former players, current players and others have openly questioned his ability. Preseason we will see the same old Rudolph, the QB the Steelers have so much faith in they immediately signed a better free agent QB and then a #1 pick on a QB, yeah they see the new and improved Rudolph.
So, I guess your expertise didn’t get you the job? Must not know as much as you think.

Wolf44

Reaction score
Name one person on this board that has been offered a head scouting job genius ?

Back to the question. Care to bet if your little boy Rudolph ever starts a regular season game for the Steelers. I have $100 that says you are too much a little ***** to bet ?

My scouting report shows Rudolph is done as a Steelers and Trubisky and Pickett are both improving as camp goes on and Rudolph is getting worse as is his modus operandi. He sucks when the live bullets fly.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Well aren’t you the bad *** newbie. I have seen people like you come and go, and will not lose any sleep when you leave too.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score

Damn BOY!
Can’t ignore the fact that your reading comprehension sucks!
What part of me calling him an average back up/game manager equates to me proclaiming him a starting QB

Learn to read, or just keep pushing the same sorry *** tired narrative that pins all the ineptness on said average backup absolving all accountability from the horrid OC, OL and D that disappeared

Is there something wrong with running the ball when that works? Probably said average game manager backup’s fault as well.

That reply was just efftarded

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I see a lot of what some here see as well, Mason Rudolph is who he is.

I have a tendency to root for the underdog and Mason has definitely been that. I don't root against any of our beloved STEELERS players and actually root for and hope they play their very best because ultimately that will improve the team.

I like this QB battle and I just hope our Coaching staff plays who is the best and not let the $$$$$$$$ or pick rank determine the starter.

Salute the nation
Love that you’re one of a handful here that consistently bring solid takes to the table

Thanks again DIC, pretty sure I could talk with you about nothing for hours 😂

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
IF you had an ounce of observational skill you would know he has. YOu like others would have cut Terry Bradshaw after 10 starts. He was far worse than Mason for far longer as starts go. Mr. Check Down has the highest YPC average in camp for what that's worth.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Love that you’re one of a handful here that consistently bring solid takes to the table

Thanks again DIC, pretty sure I could talk with you about nothing for hours 😂

It's all about perspective....................

Coolie (pre-diaper) and I were tooly-ing along in the LUXURY S10 and came upon Lunar. we let him in (middle *****) and started cruising and all he wanted to do was drive. He was adamant about driving the LUXURY S10 so finally I said you have to ride in the back. If you can hang on and not fall out, I'd let him drive.

We took off in a dust o furry and did Barrel roles / all air front endos / front wheel stands and couldn't lose the MF-er.

He really wanted to drive the LUXURY S10

SO you see Fiji,.............. it's all about perspective !!!

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I didn’t have a problem with them going after Trubisky for competition. I also like the Pickett pick. With that being said, I feel Trubisky has the harder road in camp. He was a 1st rounder, and Tomlin will try to beat that square peg in around hole for at least 6 games. Trubisky is on his 3rd team for a reason, and likely be on a 4th before Nov.
That worries me too. I truly hope this is an open competition and whoever looks the best starts. I fear Tomlin will do either as you stated or start Pickett and ruin him because he truly needs a season before he should sniff the football field.