• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Odds That Rudolph Gets Traded?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I’ve noticed there’s two types of people about Rudolph. The “he sucks, is a career backup, never going to amount to a hill of beans” and the “lets give him a fair shot with the other QB’s.” The he suck’s crowd probably going to delete their account if he succeeds. 😂

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I think Mason stinks, I believe we have seen enough of him through pre-season and games to conclude that. My main problem is you watch him play and just dont see a lot of potential. He is stiff as a runner, and I know his arm graded ok, but it doesnt show up on the field most times. Basically he is lacking physical traits. Mentally not sure where he is at. Most of his TDs were to WIDE open guys or screens / slants. I just feel if he is able to beat out the other 2 then our QB situation is pretty bad. If the light bulb comes on and he plays lights out then that would be great. I am certainly not hoping for or cheering for him to fail, I just dont think he in an nfl quarterback.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I’ve noticed there’s two types of people about Rudolph. The “he sucks, is a career backup, never going to amount to a hill of beans” and the “lets give him a fair shot with the other QB’s.” The he suck’s crowd probably going to delete their account if he succeeds. 😂
I don't think the he's a below average QB crowd will have to worry about him being anything more than that.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Again, as stated a few times before, I am going to laugh my *** off if Rudolph starts.

There was ZERO chance they were just going to roll with Rudolph, without bringing in competition.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I watched Rudolph a lot in college when I was living in OKC. He has all the physical traits and throws a good deep ball. He isn't Allen or Lamar but he can move around enough to extend plays and run if needed. He just hasn't been able to put it all together in the NFL as he did in college. He still has the potential but his time is running very, very short.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I watched Rudolph a lot in college when I was living in OKC. He has all the physical traits and throws a good deep ball. He isn't Allen or Lamar but he can move around enough to extend plays and run if needed. He just hasn't been able to put it all together in the NFL as he did in college. He still has the potential but his time is running very, very short.
And I am not sure any QB will they way the offense has been run. I hope Canada looks like a new man this year.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And I am not sure any QB will they way the offense has been run. I hope Canada looks like a new man this year.

The weight of STEELER NATION weights heavily on this statement.

Many say that Coach Tomlin is a better coach than Coach Cowher was. If O'Canada's offense is not a smooth oiled machine by week 4-6 then I say fire the "experiment" mid season similar to what Coach Cowher did with Sherman. Cowher pulled it off with confidence will Tomlin do similar should the need arise ?

I think we are stuck with this experimental offense regardless of production and for the season.

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I don't think the he's a below average QB crowd will have to worry about him being anything more than that.
Hypothetically, what if he becomes the starter or even yet a very good NFL starter? I know that is "impossible" as he is only ever going to be a career backup. But what if... My assumption is the naysayers will be the new coaches of the board and no one will take any player assessment serious again. I mean coach whiffed HUGE on Polamalu and his head size nearly 20 years ago and he still gets hammered every time he tries to evaluate a player.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I don’t think we have to worry about him being a “very good NFL starter” Ford…while that would put us in a hell of a spot with what to do with him after the season.
Imagine this board going bat crap crazy over a Mason extension thread 😆

I think what we have to worry about is that he may be the best starter we have for game 1, and I’d sincerely love to crush our week 1 opponents into submission! If he does emerge as our best option that won’t instill much confidence in the fan base heading into this season.

Just hoping like hell one of these guys starts separating and actually claims the job and doesn’t default into it.

Mostly I’m hoping that guy that emerges is Mitch, or the super unlikely long shot KP as they both seem to fit our OC’s “system” and I’d want to see what he can’t do with a guy that fits his system so there are zero excuses for another complete failure on his part.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I don’t think we have to worry about him being a “very good NFL starter” Ford…while that would put us in a hell of a spot with what to do with him after the season.
Imagine this board going bat crap crazy over a Mason extension thread 😆
But what if he is? I don't think anyone on the other side of the aisle is saying he WILL be an above average NFL QB, just that they aren't going to write him off so quickly. So would the naysayers admit they were wrong or would they secretly root against him and point out every tiny mistake that he makes and using that to try to convince everyone they were right?

I think what we have to worry about is that he may be the best starter we have for game 1, and I’d sincerely love to crush our week 1 opponents into submission! If he does emerge as our best option that won’t instill much confidence in the fan base heading into this season.
Again, if he wins the starting job, and so far he has, why wouldn't the fanbase give him a shot? Cincy is a very good team so even though I'd love to crush them into submission after losing 3 straight against them I would just be happy leaving "Paycor Park" with a W.

Just hoping like hell one of these guys starts separating and actually claims the job and doesn’t default into it.
So far, Rudolph has separated himself.

Mostly I’m hoping that guy that emerges is Mitch, or the super unlikely long shot KP as they both seem to fit our OC’s “system” and I’d want to see what he can’t do with a guy that fits his system so there are zero excuses for another complete failure on his part.
Why do you really care who wins as long as it's the best QB on the team that gives the Steelers the best shot at winning?

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Ford

To point 1-the naysayers rarely admit when they are wrong…some would seem to prefer losing and be right…pretty miserable

Point 2- I’d gladly take the W also…the submission thing is just a pipe dream revolving around Naj and the OL being able to exert their will and the D maybe just outright shutting them down

Point 3- Rudy seems to be winning, but I kinda feel like T-biscuit is stepping outta the way…thus the “would like it to not be a default ruling” line of thinking.

Point 4-If we’re winning I don’t care a bit. What I don’t want to see is Rudy wins the job, we are mediocre and Canada gets a pass as Rudy becomes the easy scapegoat

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Hypothetically, what if he becomes the starter or even yet a very good NFL starter? I know that is "impossible" as he is only ever going to be a career backup. But what if... My assumption is the naysayers will be the new coaches of the board and no one will take any player assessment serious again. I mean coach whiffed HUGE on Polamalu and his head size nearly 20 years ago and he still gets hammered every time he tries to evaluate a player.
That would be fantastic if Rudolph balls out and becomes a QB who can lead the Steelers to the playoffs. I just don't think we've seen any evidence so far in his career that he is that type of guy.

skialta

Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing that "Steelers had a first round grade on Rudolph" come to fruition. 2 winning the job in camp and then coming out throwing the rock all over the league would serve as the ultimate F you for all Rudolph naysayers. I am rooting for him to make us look like clowns. Even more so than usual

FordFairLane

Reaction score
That would be fantastic if Rudolph balls out and becomes a QB who can lead the Steelers to the playoffs. I just don't think we've seen any evidence so far in his career that he is that type of guy.
Watch the Browns game to end the 2020 season. His one mistake was on a blitz he threw blindly to his dump off and got picked.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Hey, he managed to tie Detroit last year.

skialta

Reaction score
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Watch the Browns game to end the 2020 season. His one mistake was on a blitz he threw blindly to his dump off and got picked.
I was there, he was ok. Nothing special about that performance that made you think "maybe..."

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Again, as stated a few times before, I am going to laugh my *** off if Rudolph starts.

There was ZERO chance they were just going to roll with Rudolph, without bringing in competition.
I wouldn't go to Vegas and bet on Rudy if I were you. The tea leaves are showing that they brought in a former starter and also drafted a QB with their first pick. If anything that shows a lack of confidence in Rudy. No matter how bad people want to spin it. Yeah there was zero chance they were going to roll with Rudy. That isn't their guy.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't go to Vegas and bet on Rudy if I were you. The tea leaves are showing that they brought in a former starter and also drafted a QB with their first pick. If anything that shows a lack of confidence in Rudy. No matter how bad people want to spin it. Yeah there was zero chance they were going to roll with Rudy. That isn't their guy.
I don’t think that Trubisky was/is that big of a threat, as he is now on his 3rd team. If he really was that good, he would not be in Pittsburg. If he win the starting job, so be it, he won’t keep it though. The drafting of Pickett is more telling by far. You don’t take a QB #1 for him to sit too long.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t think that Trubisky was/is that big of a threat, as he is now on his 3rd team. If he really was that good, he would not be in Pittsburg. If he win the starting job, so be it, he won’t keep it though. The drafting of Pickett is more telling by far. You don’t take a QB #1 for him to sit too long.
To be fair Mitch wasn't going to unseat Allen. Who might be the best QB in the league. Or playing like one. But yeah they still drafted Pickett as that is who they see obviously as the future.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
To be fair Mitch wasn't going to unseat Allen. Who might be the best QB in the league. Or playing like one. But yeah they still drafted Pickett as that is who they see obviously as the future.
Everyone including me and the Steelers' front office thought that PIckett would be gone by the time they drafted, which is why they signed Trubisky.
Pickett was the best QB in the draft and Trubisky was probably the best free agent QB available and we ended up with both.
I don't hate Rudolph, I just think he's an adequate backup but no more than that.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone including me and the Steelers' front office thought that PIckett would be gone by the time they drafted, which is why they signed Trubisky.
Pickett was the best QB in the draft and Trubisky was probably the best free agent QB available and we ended up with both.
I don't hate Rudolph, I just think he's an adequate backup but no more than that.

THIS

My extent of rooting for RUDY is he is a massive under-dog and I'm an under dog rooter.

Trubisky will start and from there Picket will be determined directly in line with how well Mitch plays. The better Mitch plays the longer it will be before we see Kenny.

Rudolph will serve the buffer, he will be #2 on depth chart to start the season and will remain there until Pickett overtakes him. Injury can dictate things as well.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
THIS

My extent of rooting for RUDY is he is a massive under-dog and I'm an under dog rooter.

Trubisky will start and from there Picket will be determined directly in line with how well Mitch plays. The better Mitch plays the longer it will be before we see Kenny.

Rudolph will serve the buffer, he will be #2 on depth chart to start the season and will remain there until Pickett overtakes him. Injury can dictate things as well.

Salute the nation
Pickett won’t have a chance to overtake anyone if he’s the third stringer entering the season. The reps simply aren’t there. It’ll have to be other guys falling back.

Stewey

Reaction score
You are a verifiable idiot. Bradshaw'was a huge talent Rudolph is a POS QB who has little to no respect in the Steelers locker room but you keep being a little *****. Done with you. You are not smart enough to debate.

Wait, Debate is exactly what Lebanon was doing. But it's been your way or the highway, and therefore not up for debate.
...which could be an indication that you're the one not smart enough to debate.
No one is saying Rudolph is the second coming. What they are saying is that they feel Rudolph isn't as bad as many may think. Why are you so intolerant of that?