• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Off season moves

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I remembered my answer for Bush and his 5th-year option. That must be made after a player's 3rd year and this is his 3rd year so the Steelers must make that call after this season. Bush flashed in his rookie year but tore his ACL last year. An ACL typically takes a year to fully heal. He is past that year now but also had groin and/or hammy issues earlier this year. What do you do? They invested a good bit of draft capital in him. Do you give him his 5th year and guarantee his pay or let him ride next year, see if he improves, and then hope to sign him or he leaves via FA for nothing in return? If you give him his 5th-year option, he is pretty much the starter for the next year and even his 5th year as he is being paid too much to sit him or sign anyone to replace him. It's a tough call but today, I'd have to not give him his 5th year. What I would do right now though is start Schobert and Spillane for at least a game. Bush will still get some snaps but see if that lights a fire in him. If not or if he just doesn't improve, then it makes that decision, albeit a tough one, a little easier to swallow knowing you did what you could.
I honestly gamble on bush’s fifth year… i have a suspicion his issues are mental and probably pertaining to the knee injury… he regressed a lot from where he was at when he got hurt to now. Its honestly worth it because if he progresses again next year back to where he was when he got hurt, you expedite a much larger payday without knowing if he will hold up his play or not. This gives you two years and in a worse case you trade him. He still will have value by season 5

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Guys, we might not have to pay for Rogers. Next year is his opt out year in his contract. He can force them to release him, because Green bay gets the best money value in the cut, and Rogers gets to move on. This relationship has been severely strained over the last 2 years, and I don't think for a second that Rogers wants to return next year when he can opt out.

Russell Wilson also has an opt out year next year. If his injuries continue, Seattle will be looking to move on, and if the rumors from early this year are true, Wilson will definitely be looking to move on.

With this D, I take any one of these QBs as a FA option, not to trade for. I also fully believe that these teams will dump their QBs before FA if they are looking to move on.

I'm not usually for keeping signing vet QBs to keep a SB window open, but these 2 guys are special and make our team better. Then just draft linemen and D depth. We'll need an edge CB as well...
Depends on the deal they want… in the 20 million range it’s doable, but we cant be dropping 35-40 million on an older qb and losing a ton of ufas… there are a lot of positions to fill… id love Russell Wilson here…but i dont want to lose a wuarter of the team to get him or Rodgers

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
And an ILB. Even if Buddy Johnson, who somehow can't get on the field with these ILBs, makes a big improvement, I'd like to see them draft an ILB to push Bush/for insurance in case Bush continues on his present trajectory. Plus, the other ILBs on this squad are really not good. Maybe Schobert would be better as wing man to a very good/excellent partner; but, he doesn't have that now.
Maybe Schoobie doo would be better if the Dline could keep the LBs free flowing. Cam can't do it all himself even though he tries.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe Schoobie doo would be better if the Dline could keep the LBs free flowing. Cam can't do it all himself even though he tries.
I hold out hope for him. Bush is a big fat question mark. Some guys never get over the mental aspect of an injury like his. They lose any semblance of aggressiveness and seem to always play not to get hurt. Bush seems to be teetering on that edge.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I hold out hope for him. Bush is a big fat question mark. Some guys never get over the mental aspect of an injury like his. They lose any semblance of aggressiveness and seem to always play not to get hurt. Bush seems to be teetering on that edge.
One thing that isn't talked about is the degree of injury and the effect it has on a player. One player could take said amount of time to fully recover the other said amount +. I know we all get frustrated with the little ****** but just may be he is still working towards that full recovery that will come in time. Not what anyone wants to hear but might be this reality TV show. So sing with me while we rejoice. This bush is your bush this bush is my bush from California to the NY island. From the Redwood forest to the Gulfstream waters this bush was made for you and meeeeee.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
If we comes with nothing going back to fb fine if not try hard for Russ guy hasn’t had a running game or a d to rely since the botched sb draft would give Seattle this year n next year 1 or 1st and next year’s 2 I think looking at the ol you can expect green to get better as well as Moore Dotson will be fine. I would try resigning turner as he has steady if teamed up with banner you have a mauling nasty right side that can push the pile. Other than that our option is resign Ben 1 year draftcwillis or Pickett to watch. Get rid of mason

MB47

Reaction score
Bush was nothing special before the injury. He is small has no instincts and was never a playmaker even in college. He is just a guy that Tomlin loved even though he is too small for the position he plays kinda like our midget center.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bush looked pretty good as a rookie so to say he showed nothing before the injury is a little off. ACL's typically take a year to get back on the field and many players say up to 3 years to truly be back 100%. So, hopefully, he will be much better next year. I think right now, the Steelers may want to try and start Spillane for a couple of games. If it's just mental with Bush, that may light a fire under him. Shazier had a good take on it. I'm sure his comments can be found on google.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I do want him as one he is more mobile than Ben so that would help extend plays. And he simply is the better QB. Two I would say Steelers have just as many offensive weapons if not more than what AR has now. 3 prolong agony, you say that with the thought Tomlin is going anywhere. I know you know everyone knows that man isn't going anywhere. So better just to give the team the best chance to win. You really would be hard pressed to find another better QB.

My ONLY fear is cost, both monotery and draft but also know I don't live in my FEARS. In spirit of getting team components to help win, we need OL terribly.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing that isn't talked about is the degree of injury and the effect it has on a player. One player could take said amount of time to fully recover the other said amount +. I know we all get frustrated with the little ****** but just may be he is still working towards that full recovery that will come in time. Not what anyone wants to hear but might be this reality TV show. So sing with me while we rejoice. This bush is your bush this bush is my bush from California to the NY island. From the Redwood forest to the Gulfstream waters this bush was made for you and meeeeee.

WhoAley chyt / shyite / ****....................... I can see Budwiser visiting you about a commercial contract soon.........................

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Bush looked pretty good as a rookie so to say he showed nothing before the injury is a little off. ACL's typically take a year to get back on the field and many players say up to 3 years to truly be back 100%. So, hopefully, he will be much better next year. I think right now, the Steelers may want to try and start Spillane for a couple of games. If it's just mental with Bush, that may light a fire under him. Shazier had a good take on it. I'm sure his comments can be found on google.
His rookie year was a long time ago. We didn’t see the same flashes his second year before the injury and the problems he’s displaying this year aren’t all injury related. The lack of instincts and physicality are glaring. We know he doesn’t take in blockers, but man, watching him get completely washed out of plays is tough to watch.