• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Off season moves

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I added the a name to replace Tomlin and urge others to check out his work at Jacksonville and Buffalo. I have not seen a get a new coach and replaced Ben thread with names that include NFL productive winners. Sounds like you agree with both points. Finally the real problem is Art Rooney II who has far less threads against him.
as usual you fail at reading comprehension

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
What AR has in GB pales in comparison to what the Steelers are. You really want another 39 y.o QB behind this OL, with this OC and coaching staff? He looks great in GB, but would he be that great here? I highly doubt it and you are going to throw $35M at him for one or two seasons to prolong the agony?
I don't have faith in the Steelers FO to build around AR like Tampa did for Brady and GB does for AR. Just my assessment, but go after him and prove me wrong.
Yeah I do want him as one he is more mobile than Ben so that would help extend plays. And he simply is the better QB. Two I would say Steelers have just as many offensive weapons if not more than what AR has now. 3 prolong agony, you say that with the thought Tomlin is going anywhere. I know you know everyone knows that man isn't going anywhere. So better just to give the team the best chance to win. You really would be hard pressed to find another better QB.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Yeah I do want him as one he is more mobile than Ben so that would help extend plays. And he simply is the better QB. Two I would say Steelers have just as many offensive weapons if not more than what AR has now. 3 prolong agony, you say that with the thought Tomlin is going anywhere. I know you know everyone knows that man isn't going anywhere. So better just to give the team the best chance to win. You really would be hard pressed to find another better QB.
He is definitly more mobile than Ben, but you or I are more moble than Ben. I just don't trust our OL or OC. Ben played very well last night and could you imagine him with Brady's OL? Or an OC that doesn't do jet sweeps at the 2 yardline? I think Ben is a fine QB, even at 38 and I don't know how much better AR really is if all the pieces are equal.
Like I said though, I think it's a pipedream of happening, in the first place. Too many pieces would have to fall and move.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Anybody wanting to give up resources for Aaron Rodgers at this point in his career is mortgaing tge future for one or two runs…

This crap is what dan Rooney stopped to pull us out of loser status… getting old plauers and watching them fall off a cliff while bleeding draft picks…

You want to fix this team… reformat tge coaching staff with position coaches that develop players…

Stockpile draft picks, dont waste them…

Quit reaching to fill holes and take bpa.. fill holes with value free agents…

steelhurt

Reaction score
We need Aaron Rodgers, and while we are at it hire Green Bays offensive coordinator as head coach if the two get along His name is Natahniel Hakcet and he and Rodgers can fix this bullcrap throw it behind the first down marker offense and he knows how to run the ball. Check him out. This gives up a serious upgrade over Ben ( Now ) and gets rid of Tomlin. Rodgers is so much better than Ben ( now ) its obvious. For the draft focus on offense that wins games. Draft a tackle high in round one, a receiver in round two, and a capable center in round three. For the later rounds focus on DL, ILB, and S. And spend free agency money on an impact guy on offense. We are going no where fast, this move gives us 2-3 year window and a bright new head coach.
Coach, you’re killin me man. Let’s start with Rodgers. He is not an unrestricted free agent so we would have to trade for the soon to be 38 year old QB. So there goes your logic on drafting a tackle and receiver in the first two rounds because that’s what you give GB plus more for Rodgers. They are not trading him for a fifth or sixth round pick. In other words, they ain’t giving him away.
Ben needs help particularly on the OL and he needs a number one receiver. I think if Ben stays healthy and comes back, then use FA and the draft to fix the OL, add a #1 receiver, fire Canada. On defense sign or draft a run stuffer NT and a solid CB.
And hope and pray Bush can make an impact next season which I have serious doubts he will. The guy is turning out to be a monumental bust and could hurt this defense for years.
Tomlin is not getting fired Coach. Accept it, live with it, but the man is not getting fired in the off season.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Tomlin will leave when he's damn good and ready, nothing will change that anytime soon including a losing record this year. Canada, like Fichtner, will get thrown under the bus and blamed for the offensive issues, I've gone over why he isn't the issue and I'm not rehashing it. Creed Humphrey with Benny/Balage is better than Green with Najee. The offensive line is down right offensive. They couldn't block the 32nd ranked run defense. Pathetic.

Without Watt, Minkah, and Haden this defense **** the bed. No depth. Reminds me of the early 80's all over again watching the legends fade out and the young bucks just sucking the life out of you with horrid playing.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin will leave when he's damn good and ready, nothing will change that anytime soon including a losing record this year. Canada, like Fichtner, will get thrown under the bus and blamed for the offensive issues, I've gone over why he isn't the issue and I'm not rehashing it. Creed Humphrey with Benny/Balage is better than Green with Najee. The offensive line is down right offensive. They couldn't block the 32nd ranked run defense. Pathetic.

Without Watt, Minkah, and Haden this defense **** the bed. No depth. Reminds me of the early 80's all over again watching the legends fade out and the young bucks just sucking the life out of you with horrid playing.
Within the last month, folks were talking about how neither Minkah nor Haden deserved to get paid this off-season. I think last night's game showed not only why they will get paid (at least Minkah), why they'll let Edwards test FA (i.e. leave) and why Watt deserves every penny of what he got. Interesting to me is that Highsmith seems to pick his game up when Watt isn't playing. Kid, we need that effort all the time.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Colbert to
Have you watched the two play this year? AR is light years ahead of Wilson. AR gives you a chance to win on any given day. Not sure that Wilson can be the Wilson of old. No thank you on trading for him.
Not really a real chance of us getting either one so does it really matter?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't want anything that mortgages the future. I don't believe the current coaching staff is capable of a championship. So zero point in leaving less for someone who could.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Within the last month, folks were talking about how neither Minkah nor Haden deserved to get paid this off-season. I think last night's game showed not only why they will get paid (at least Minkah), why they'll let Edwards test FA (i.e. leave) and why Watt deserves every penny of what he got. Interesting to me is that Highsmith seems to pick his game up when Watt isn't playing. Kid, we need that effort all the time.
So was it a collective issue of multiple players not playing or just because Fitzpatrick wasn't playing? We are missing like half our defensive starters and say this is why Fitzpatrick should be paid? If it is just Fitzpatrick missing I don't think we miss him. Plug someone else in. We will see the same results. Take half our defense out and you see what we saw last night. I don't pay Fitzpatrick $17 mill or more a season. I would rather draft a guy to replace him and sign OL with the money saved.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think they should give Haden a deal of some sort but nothing to break the bank. He is beyond the point in a CB's career that you don't know when they will fall off the cliff. Give him one of those deals that is easy to get out of after a year or maybe two.

Minkah should get a nice contract offer but he is NOT the top S in the league like he thinks he is. The Steelers should do what they normally do and make him a good offer - probably at or near the top of the pay scale for safeties but I wouldn't give him anywhere near the guaranteed money Watt got. Minkah is a top 10 safety and maybe a top 5 safety but that's about it. I still think they pay him because he and Watt are still going to be the 2 main pieces of the D moving forward. I used to think Bush was the 3rd key piece but he would have to make a very major leap heading into next year and not get hurt again to even think about him staying. I don't recall when the decision has to be made to give him his 5th-year option but if it's before the end of next season, then I don't give it to him. But, he still could turn things around next year if he stays healthy and can finally make that leap he never got to make.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Colbert to

Not really a real chance of us getting either one so does it really matter?
Did you think we would get Minkah? No. Did we see us trading up to the top ten? No. Unforseen things happen. We often discuss things that never happen or have a long shot of happening. A long shot as it maybe sometimes long shots happen. You know like being a 6th seed and winning it all. Someone has to replace Ben nothing wrong with discussing all angles of the dangle.😁

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
So was it a collective issue of multiple players not playing or just because Fitzpatrick wasn't playing? We are missing like half our defensive starters and say this is why Fitzpatrick should be paid? If it is just Fitzpatrick missing I don't think we miss him. Plug someone else in. We will see the same results. Take half our defense out and you see what we saw last night. I don't pay Fitzpatrick $17 mill or more a season. I would rather draft a guy to replace him and sign OL with the money saved.
They did that last night. Resulted in the game winning TD among other miscommunications. Plus, then you'd have to replace Minkah AND Edmunds. Btw, Steelers are sitting on tons of cap space next year; close to $46M. Plus the $10+M that Colbert has steadfastly refused to spend any of this year will roll over. They'll be able to pay Minkah and sign FA's to fill other holes.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
They did that last night. Resulted in the game winning TD among other miscommunications. Plus, then you'd have to replace Minkah AND Edmunds. Btw, Steelers are sitting on tons of cap space next year; close to $46M. Plus the $10+M that Colbert has steadfastly refused to spend any of this year will roll over. They'll be able to pay Minkah and sign FA's to fill other holes.
I know we will be able to afford Fitzpatrick. I am simply saying that for what Fitzpatrick will cost he isn't worth it.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
This is something to consider actually. Two All-Pro starters plus CB1 were out. Not to mention two starting DL (Alualu and Tuitt). Cam Heyward is balling on par with the best. He was triple teamed last night and still was making plays. However, without the starters, the revolving cast of backups do not do their primary job of playing their gaps. Buggs has played better, but his conditioning limits his play counts. Louder milk is showing great promise, but wasn’t activated (injury?). Obviously ILB splash plays is seriously lacking, Bush particularly. However he nor Shoebert has Tyson or Stephon taking up blockers to allow them to routinely make plays. Still, Bush could at least try to get off blocks. The water-cooler talk is purely speculative, but some opine Bush “mannerisms“ during play seems to show he still doesn’t have the confidence with the knee. Wormley is just a body, and Mondeaux hasn’t shown consistency and Davis can’t stay healthy. Maybe they need to bring his brother up, at least he has experience. Archibong, a new addition, did something in his few snaps. All in all, Heyward is doing everything on the line, and he isn’t getting help. Surely, there is a player on someone‘s practice squad that has merit for DL or OL help.

If Fitzpatrick was playing in that game, that last TD wouldn’t have happened. If he and Joe were playing the communication would have more conducive to minimizing those blown assignments.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
I do not feel Rogers or Wilson will be in Burgh. Thought maybe Mariota, Garropolo, or Tribisky? Now the more I read/hear at times; I would not mind seeing Carr. Not sure he is future in Vegas

FordFairLane

Reaction score
The off-season moves is determined by if Roethlisberger wants to come back. If he retires I really hope we don’t overpay for a QB only one year his junior. I’d rather spend some of that money on the offensive line maybe a couple of secondary starters and re-upping any young guys that are or about to become free agents.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
There's already threads like this..."coach".

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Ben comes back next year. He is playing well and he has the desire. I think getting a Harris and a muth makes it an easier decision for him

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Rodgers turns 38 Dec 2, I don't see him lasting much longer.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I remembered my answer for Bush and his 5th-year option. That must be made after a player's 3rd year and this is his 3rd year so the Steelers must make that call after this season. Bush flashed in his rookie year but tore his ACL last year. An ACL typically takes a year to fully heal. He is past that year now but also had groin and/or hammy issues earlier this year. What do you do? They invested a good bit of draft capital in him. Do you give him his 5th year and guarantee his pay or let him ride next year, see if he improves, and then hope to sign him or he leaves via FA for nothing in return? If you give him his 5th-year option, he is pretty much the starter for the next year and even his 5th year as he is being paid too much to sit him or sign anyone to replace him. It's a tough call but today, I'd have to not give him his 5th year. What I would do right now though is start Schobert and Spillane for at least a game. Bush will still get some snaps but see if that lights a fire in him. If not or if he just doesn't improve, then it makes that decision, albeit a tough one, a little easier to swallow knowing you did what you could.

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
Even if Watt, Minkah and Haden all come back this week there is no way they could make up for the potential loss of McCloud. I just hope we open the wallet for McCloud and Ebron so we can keep on rolling next year!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, we might not have to pay for Rogers. Next year is his opt out year in his contract. He can force them to release him, because Green bay gets the best money value in the cut, and Rogers gets to move on. This relationship has been severely strained over the last 2 years, and I don't think for a second that Rogers wants to return next year when he can opt out.

Russell Wilson also has an opt out year next year. If his injuries continue, Seattle will be looking to move on, and if the rumors from early this year are true, Wilson will definitely be looking to move on.

With this D, I take any one of these QBs as a FA option, not to trade for. I also fully believe that these teams will dump their QBs before FA if they are looking to move on.

I'm not usually for keeping signing vet QBs to keep a SB window open, but these 2 guys are special and make our team better. Then just draft linemen and D depth. We'll need an edge CB as well...

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, we might not have to pay for Rogers. Next year is his opt out year in his contract. He can force them to release him, because Green bay gets the best money value in the cut, and Rogers gets to move on. This relationship has been severely strained over the last 2 years, and I don't think for a second that Rogers wants to return next year when he can opt out.

Russell Wilson also has an opt out year next year. If his injuries continue, Seattle will be looking to move on, and if the rumors from early this year are true, Wilson will definitely be looking to move on.

With this D, I take any one of these QBs as a FA option, not to trade for. I also fully believe that these teams will dump their QBs before FA if they are looking to move on.

I'm not usually for keeping signing vet QBs to keep a SB window open, but these 2 guys are special and make our team better. Then just draft linemen and D depth. We'll need an edge CB as well...
And an ILB. Even if Buddy Johnson, who somehow can't get on the field with these ILBs, makes a big improvement, I'd like to see them draft an ILB to push Bush/for insurance in case Bush continues on his present trajectory. Plus, the other ILBs on this squad are really not good. Maybe Schobert would be better as wing man to a very good/excellent partner; but, he doesn't have that now.