• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

OK...this is weird. K-DOT has (apparently) pissed off the coaches.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I find this both hard-to-believe and hugely upsetting.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Training camp is a few short weeks away. I hope this kid turns it around and shows what he can do like he did last season. Maybe next off season , he’ll use his time properly

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Remember when the Steelers invited free-agent guard Trai Turner to the South Side late last week, and it'd been universally assumed it had something to do with succeeding David DeCastro?

Well, it did have to do with a guard, but it didn't have to do with DeCastro.

Better sit down for this one, kids.

I'm told, by an impeccable source, that the initial motivation for summoning Turner was a general dissatisfaction among the coaching staff with the offseason regimen of young Kevin Dotson and that, as a result, there was a very real worry that he'd be a viable candidate to start at left guard.

Uh-huh, really.

No, I didn't see that coming, either. I loved Dotson's rookie performance in 2020 -- all that aggression, all that brute strength -- to the extent I was deeply disappointed when Matt Feiler returned from injury for the playoffs and immediately was handed his job back. I wanted to see more of Dotson then, and I couldn't wait to see more in 2021.

But Dotson, apparently, could -- and did -- wait to take his offseason seriously, in the eyes of management. I wasn't told any specifics, other than that it had to do with conditioning. And that management, with all the other uncertainty on the offensive line, was in no mood to wait for Dotson to get set straight.

Now, of course, there's also this little DeCastro development as of Thursday afternoon.

Oh, and Turner being signed to a one-year contract about an hour later.

I'll get to those in a bit, but I've first got this to say: These youngsters had better get it together in a raging hurry. All of them.

Obviously, that begins with Dotson. Whatever got into him since January needs exorcised at a Casey Hampton-like pace before training camp. Because he can't be optional. He just can't. What he flashed last season was too promising to ignore in this context.

But it goes for all the rest, too.

Zach Banner needs to show the surgically repaired knee's ready to go and, believe it or not, even if he's got all of one NFL start to his credit, he just might be forced to lead this group. As he illustrated even as a non-participant in OTAs and minicamp, he's not shy about speaking his mind. Like, at all.

Chuks Okorafor needs to make a seamless transition from right tackle to left and, though he's the near-silent, serious sort, he'll have to break that shell as needed. He'll take the field as a fourth-year NFL guy with more experience than most.

B.J. Finney needs to press Dotson harder than anyone else. Meaning through his camp performance. And from the sound of everything above, he now might do so as the favorite to start at left guard. I'd be OK with that. This is a solid football player, and he's as gritty as it gets on the O-line.

Kendrick Green ... man, is it even fair to ask a third-round pick to start at center? Because if it isn't, then it'll be Finney, and that could create more problems than it solves.

Then there's right guard.

Look, it's now moot to debate whether or not DeCastro could've been his best self. Or even an asset in this setting, where his experience would've towered above everyone else's. He's about to undergo surgery on his right ankle, per agent Drew Rosenhaus, and it's the same ankle that'd been giving him trouble -- along with a chest injury -- all through the 2020 season. He might not get healthy enough. He might not want to keep playing even if he does, as I'd been reporting for months now, and as he confirmed Thursday to Joe Starkey of 93.7 The Fan, saying, “Gotta see how the surgery goes. But I’d have no problem calling it a day and moving on with my life.”

I can't say if Turner's the answer in his stead. He's got five Pro Bowls on the back of his card, but also a bunch of missed GPs. The guy's missed 16 games over the past four seasons, the equivalent of a full season until itself. That's a worry unto itself, and it's why the Chargers made him a cap casualty and he had to accept a one-year term from the Steelers.

But I do know this: Neither DeCastro's absence, nor Turner's arrival -- nor, for that matter, almost anything related to this offense -- will matter much without Dotson, Banner, Okorafor and Green exceeding expectations. And immensely so.

• Make no mistake: There's zero acrimony in any of this DeCastro scenario, and not just because of the sweet tweet above.

It couldn't be clearer now that DeCastro came to the Heinz Field minicamp a week ago to have a conversation with the Steelers about his immediate future, including his ankle, and that all concerned then took a few days to determine the next course. DeCastro wasn't about to retire and forfeit his full pay of $14,297,500. So he instead communicated his plan to the Steelers, and they responded with a release that he had to be expecting, since it'd save the team $8.75 million in his base salary and cap hit.

Feels like courtesy was extended on either end of the equation.

• My own immense respect for DeCastro, as a player and as a professional off the field, could be collected in a list of all his individual accolades, or I could just share this magnificent moment from five years ago in Cincinnati:

That's quintessential Dave right there. He hated Vontaze Burfict and had told me so countless times. In that setting, with neither of them remotely engaged with whatever Le'Veon Bell was doing with the ball, both went at each other on a sequence that no one who witnessed it -- and heard it -- will ever forget.

One of the great guards of his generation. A worthy successor to Alan Faneca in every way. He'll be missed.

• The pain these guys endure ... this will be DeCastro's third surgery on the same ankle. Maurkice Pouncey retired in large part because he'd had five surgeries on the same ankle. Eventually, the mind wins out over the body.

• Turner had his own pain to endure in 2020, missing seven of the Chargers' first eight games with a nagging groin injury. He told SiriusXM NFL Network this past Saturday, “I’m back at 100 percent. Last year was a rough season for me, with injuries and just overall COVID. But hey, you know, you go through things and situations arise, but you work it and you get through it. So I’m feeling good. I’m just ready to come back and have a phenomenal season.”

He's capable. Five Pro Bowls don't come by accident.

Here's the full conversation:

Free Agent Guard @Trai_Turner told us this week what he is looking for in his next team and how he has approached free agency...

"I'll make a splash sooner than later."

⬇️AUDIO⬇️ | #NFLFreeAgency pic.twitter.com/DOPDVGTXyC
— SiriusXM NFL Radio (@SiriusXMNFL) June 19, 2021
• Deep dive on Turner right here by our Chris Carter.

• More is needed. And I don't just mean the O-line, though another veteran starter would be plenty welcome. There's also a hard need for a third edge rusher, a third safety and, depending on whether one believes in James Pierre, another outside corner. But those first three for sure.

The $8.75 million in cap hit savings from DeCastro's cut -- minus whatever amount Turner's getting, pending that becoming known -- will help on all fronts, but don't think too big. In other words, if one signing is Justin Houston, don't expect Malik Hooker, too. Kevin Colbert's total cap room is probably in the range of $12 million, he's got another $2 million that goes to the practice squad, and he insists on entering every season with at least $5 million in flexibility.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
On work computer and having an issue with bluetooth/sound ATM, can you give quick synopsis?

Edit: derp, will just read post above.

mdk2

Reaction score
I'm not buying it. Even if he wasn't in shape, he can get there by the time the season begins.

I fully expect Dotson to be the starter. No question.

This seems like more of a DK attention grabber to get listeners in the offseason.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I've never understood anyone getting out of shape in the off-season or not using it to get bigger, faster,stronger,more agile,more powerful, better hand eye coordination.

It's your job and it can pay off in millions of dollars for you. I don't get anyone half assing it when it comes to being a professional ATHLETE and conditioning.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Basically, DK has it from an "impeccable" source that Dotson has put in no work in the off-season and reported to OTAs and mini-camp completely out of shape. Turner was originally brought in to replace him instead of DDC...and then DDC said I gotta get surgery again so they signed TT.

I hope this is bullshit.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If he's in bad shape now, he won't be in the shape he needs to be for camp, the preseason or to start the season. If this is true, he won't be starting and I would let him start until absolutely necessary, if at all. This is his ******* job now. Act like it. Exercise, train, and eat right year-round. Period.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Couldn't listen to more than 3 minutes of this. Was anything said other than pure speculation?

Yeah I'd really like to see/hear more about this before getting too excited. I remember seeing him in OTA photos and he looked in fine shape. I remember him in interviews with the media and looking/talking stone-faced serious and ready to take the next step. Going to wait on this one.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Even if he is totally out of shape he has over 2 full months to get into shape. I think he CAN do it, just a matter of wanting to.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Even if he is totally out of shape he has over 2 full months to get into shape. I think he CAN do it, just a matter of wanting to.
Just tape DK's bullshit story on his locker, he will be in top shape in no time.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
This was all could find of Dotson at minicamp ATM (I know there were some small clips of him in action but can't find them), but:

wyai2n2zsuvi5oxxiq18.jpg

vs. Trai Turner last season

kcyw3uhi9lzlzabjkzug.jpg

I'm going to let my eyes be my judge at this point.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
On work computer and having an issue with bluetooth/sound ATM, can you give quick synopsis?

Edit: derp, will just read post above.
Even in training camp you take a report with a grain of salt. How many tearing it up reports turn into the same player cut? This one comes pretty early like it has been said plenty of time between now and the start of the season to cement his start.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I find this both hard-to-believe

I'm finding it more this at this point. Look at dude's calves and arms in post #14, he's pretty cut. You aren't going to have lower legs like that (especially) if you're dogging it.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I'd really like to see/hear more about this before getting too excited. I remember seeing him in OTA photos and he looked in fine shape. I remember him in interviews with the media and looking/talking stone-faced serious and ready to take the next step. Going to wait on this one.
I think the point DK was getting across was KDOT‘s attitude. He was possibly coming across as the LG position is his and he just needs to show up. Coaching staff and his source (most likely Ramon F) feels he needs to prepare to win a job, not expect it handed to him. A fair point I may add. 2nd year player with a handful of starts shouldn’t expect anything. You have to show you want to get better and want it. Coaching 101 IMO.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Wait and see and DK sports is JUST speculating. I "hope" is used to many times by DK to be factual.

Salute the nation

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
For what it's worth others are disputing this.

Can't remember when it happens ATM, but if he fails the conditioning test, that's when we'll know there's actually a problem.

Reactions: wig

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe the Steeler coaches and FO were smart enough to understand both the DeCastro situation and the need for some motivational pointers for Big Dot.

Little risk bringing Turner in for a look, good reward for signing him when DeCastro' injury required more surgery.

Lets all hope the effort and attitude we saw last year from Big Dot were just the beginnings of his future great performance as a Steeler.

Nobody wins or loses anything in June, although I do recall a former troll/poster, after a Steeler/Rat softball game suggest : "my team looks better than your team in shorts, in June". Lol. What a gem....

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score