• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

OL Roster Predictions

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I,’m looking at our roster and I think the initial Oline looks solid, but there isnt a lot of young backup talent pushing anyone.....

The question is how many do you keep, especially if they are middling talents?

We are loaded at other positions and frankly I don’t see the value in overstocking it with near scrubs, on the other hand, we aren’t exactly sure how things will play out so flexibility is key. Right now every single position has a dedicated backup that is not really transcendent. Cole looks to be the best Center, but Hass is clearly the most competent backup. Leglue is versatile, but he isn’t the level of Tackle that scott or Haeg are

At center Mason Cole will start. That is certain at this point barring an injury.

It seems logical that JD Hassenauer is retained as the backup. He is the better center than Green was last year and can play guard, that is 2 right there

At guard, you have Daniels for sure on one side. And the other is a battle between Dotson and Green. Both of them will certainly be on the 53. That is three Guards… Now the question mark is Leglue, who plays all the OL positions. Does he make it as a utility player over a better true tackle?

I’ve not seen or heard enough on Gillum or Owens to form an opinion other than they dont have a path forward

At OT, Moore seems to have turned a corner, but Chuks isn’t exactly impressing from what we have heard thus far. He is what he is, an average RT at best… It would be astounding if either weren’t starting day 1 though. Haeg is probably the top option at LT if Moore goes down and has the versatility to play everywhere but center… Scott is an underrated Tackle that most likely makes the squad.

Chaz green is a journeyman and barring a rash of injuries wont be here this year.

Tucker is a physical specimen but also a long term project, look for him to make the PS

Dixon Id have to see more from to get a good feel if he has a shot to make the PS

I think Ten guys are in the realistic running, I think maybe 9 make it, though that seems high for most years… I think they will try to get Leglue on the Practice squad and will Run with

C Cole – Hassenauer

G Daniels-Green-Dotson

OT Moore-Chuks-Scott- With Haeg as a Swing T/G

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. The OL still looks weak and has little depth.

Center
Cole is an upgrade at center, but so was Hassenauer last year and he isn't that good. The plus side is Cole's strength is suppose to be run blocking and it'll be difficult to be worse in pass protection than Green was last season.

Guard
Daniels should be a legitimate upgrade at right guard and a foundation piece to build an offensive line around if he lives up to his billing. It's exactly the type of player the Steelers need on their offensive line. Dotson and Green don't inspire much confidence, at least yet. Dotson regressed from his play as a rookie so you hope it clicks in year 3. Green can move, but is dominated by big, strong defensive linemen. He isn't going to all of a sudden avoid these types at guard.

Tackle
We'll see what Moore does in year two. He needs to be a lot better than he was as a rookie if he's the long-term starter at the position. In a way, he's the key to the success of the line as a whole. I think Cole stabilizes center enough and Daniels should be good at RG. If Moore can develop into an average LT this year, that's a be upgrade from what we had last year. Chuks is what he is an that isn't very good. However, if he's back to being the worst OL in the starting lineup, that should at least mean a line ranked in the 20-25 range as opposed to in the bottom five.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
For me RT is easily the weakest position on offense. As far as depth wise I think there is capable short term C and T fillers. My worst depth position on the O is at G. I am not convinced Green is a starter let alone good depth. I guess you could have a C fill in but when you do that that just reinforces my take on the position.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
For me RT is easily the weakest position on offense. As far as depth wise I think there is capable short term C and T fillers. My worst depth position on the O is at G. I am not convinced Green is a starter let alone good depth. I guess you could have a C fill in but when you do that that just reinforces my take on the position.
I have it on good authority that Trev Scott is better than people think, but yeah until i see that play out Tackle scares tge heck out of ne.

I actually think they will be fine through the middle, and moore looks like he turned a corner, but Chucks is meh and the depth is well its very journeyman…

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Why does Coach Tomlin value the OL so low ? Passing on know sureties such as Creed Humphreys (others as well) is mind boggling.

It starts in the trenches and our trench warfare isn't much to recon with and hasn't been for awhile. Until there is a commitment to
HIGH end drafts / FAs there will only be bottom tier OLs for us.

Salute the nation

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Why does Coach Tomlin value the OL so low ? Passing on know sureties such as Creed Humphreys (others as well) is mind boggling.

It starts in the trenches and our trench warfare isn't much to recon with and hasn't been for awhile. Until there is a commitment to

Salute the nation
In 16 years Tomlin has only drafted 4 players with his first or second round draft pick.

2010; Round 1: Pouncy
2011; Round 2: Gilbert
2012; Round 1: DeCastro
2012; Round 2: Adams

The Steelers haven't used a first or second round draft pick on an OL in TEN YEARS!

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In 16 years Tomlin has only drafted 4 players with his first or second round draft pick.

The Steelers haven't used a first or second round draft pick on an OL in TEN YEARS!

GREAT post and thanks for digging this information up.!

Salute the nation

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I predict pain for any QB behind an OL that has Scott playing at OT
Locks: Moore, Dot, Cole, Daniels, Chuks and Green (just because u know they won’t give up on him that quick) so that’s 6

Haeg, Hass and LeGlue would be my depth choices getting to 9 and I’d likely keep Chris Owens and the best other option that is a true tackle for PS.

and did I mention I would’ve cut the turnstile known as Trent Scott?
Dude is not an NFL caliber OT…which I believe is their intent to have him be a swing tackle/G
If he’s only a G maybe, but as a Tackle he scares the crap out of me.

Last edited:

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score

And it shows
Munch was able to polish up mid range starters to solid players…we miss that and the pedigree of early round linemen

FordFairLane

Reaction score
We improved the interior with Daniels and Cole but failed to improve our tackle situation. I think a lot hinges on Moore taking a huge step forward. You can mask your RT issue with a TE or FB and having a QB with a more mobility than Roethlisberger had at the end. But it's hard to hide a LT issue as your QB will get happy feet and always be looking over his shoulder. Lets hope everyone stays healthy and improves during camp.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
In 2005 our Linemen were drafted as follows

Marvel Smith 2nd round
Alan Faneca 1st round
Jeff Hartings 1st round (detroit)
Kendall Simmons 1st round
Max Starks 3rd round

So, Cowher placed a pretty good emphasis on his Offensive Lineman in the draft.

In 2008:

Max Starks 3rd round
Chris Kemoeatu 6th round
Justin Hartwig 6th round
Darnell Stapleton UDA (Simmons was injured for the SB)
Willie Colon 4th round

So, MT doesn't value OL as much as Cowher did...but he won a Superbowl none the less.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
C - Cole, Hassenauer
OG - Dotson, Daniels, Green, Leglue
OT - Moore, Chuks, Dixon, Haeg

I see it as Green, as small as he is, will be the 3rd Center, but the backup at either Guard position. Ugh. Hope neither Dot nor Daniels gets dinged.
Dixon is showing fire and gumption ... which we've not had on the OL in awhile. Maybe a project, but is at least as equal (or better) than the other guys he's in a roster competition with. Hassenauer, Green, Leglue and Haeg give us flexibility in that they can play multiple positions. I'd even guess that Dixon could handle himself at G.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Salute the nation
Didn't Tomlin say earlier in his career you can also improve an offensive line by drafting better weapons? I may have that wrong but the team acts that way with the roster moves.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't Tomlin say earlier in his career you can also improve an offensive line by drafting better weapons? I may have that wrong but the team acts that way with the roster moves.

I think I remember that as well but when he said that he had much better OL than he does now. For the life of me it doesn't make sense but then a lot of his Tomlinisms are crap to begin with anyways.

I agree if you have a quality OL and get better weapons then the line will look to it betterment but when you have guys such as last year, better weapons don't seem to help because (not beating a dead horse) but Creed would look pretty appealing about now and last year too !!!!

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
C - Cole, Hassenauer
OG - Dotson, Daniels, Green, Leglue
OT - Moore, Chuks, Dixon, Haeg

I see it as Green, as small as he is, will be the 3rd Center, but the backup at either Guard position. Ugh. Hope neither Dot nor Daniels gets dinged.
Dixon is showing fire and gumption ... which we've not had on the OL in awhile. Maybe a project, but is at least as equal (or better) than the other guys he's in a roster competition with. Hassenauer, Green, Leglue and Haeg give us flexibility in that they can play multiple positions. I'd even guess that Dixon could handle himself at G.

We need some fire, anykind of fire as this group is to polite.

Chris Keamoeto took some of the dumbest personal foul penalties at times but at least he had some fire under his ***.

GREEN was supose to be this BIG nasty OL but he hasn't shown much at all. Maybe a pushing match (one push) but nothing after that.

We need an identity and ****-ing nastiness / don't mess with us would be a welcome change up instead of here I am ,....... push me around layed back.

Salute the nation

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
We need some fire, anykind of fire as this group is to polite.

Chris Keamoeto took some of the dumbest personal foul penalties at times but at least he had some fire under his ***.

GREEN was supose to be this BIG nasty OL but he hasn't shown much at all. Maybe a pushing match (one push) but nothing after that.

We need an identity and ****-ing nastiness / don't mess with us would be a welcome change up instead of here I am ,....... push me around layed back.

Salute the nation
Green big? He is a marshmallow

BamaSteeler52

Reaction score
Green is the biggest OL that can play center, the only thing Cole has is height... I'm not going to bash a rookie that should have never been playing in the first place, add to that he was not into the position and you have what you got... But this "he is small" BS is laughable. He needs to get better but that is a given for everyone on the OL. I just hope Cole, the so called good OC that no one wanted can get the job done.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Green is the biggest OL that can play center, the only thing Cole has is height... I'm not going to bash a rookie that should have never been playing in the first place, add to that he was not into the position and you have what you got... But this "he is small" BS is laughable. He needs to get better but that is a given for everyone on the OL. I just hope Cole, the so called good OC that no one wanted can get the job done.
"So called good"? I haven't heard a single person call Matt Canada good.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Last time I checked, Eric Fisher was still a free agent. Is there a reason why? And if not, why isn’t he here to push our two below the line guys…

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Numbers don't add up if they keep 10 olineman. Looks like 3 qbs, 6 receivers, 4 running backs and TJ's brother, and 3 TEs. That's 27. I think it will be 9 oline. 4 tackles 5 interior with position flexibility for injury. Then a stash on the PS squad for emergency. Might even go as low as 8 but that's low. May have to drop it to 3 rbs. Or 5 receivers.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Last year, on offense, they kept:
3 qbs
4 rbs
1 fb
5 wrs
3 tes
8 olinemen
Thats 24. Id expect them to carry 6 wrs this year… so either they have 2 qbs or only carry 3 regular rbs… I doubt they add extra olinemen.. honestly are there 9 worth keeping?