• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Omar Khan is expected to be named Steelers' GM

FordFairLane

Reaction score
If I remember correctly he’s the reason behind the Fitzpatrick trade with Miami. A very unlike Steelers move. Perhaps he has a more aggressive approach but hasn’t been the guy running the show. I will give him a fair shake.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
16 candidates and they take the 21 year in-house guy. Okeydoke. Let's see.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'm happy for him. He definitely has been loyal and paid his dues. That said they better get someone who can judge football flesh. I've always believed Kahn understood the money side, but what has his involvement in talent decisions been.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm happy for him. He definitely has been loyal and paid his dues. That said they better get someone who can judge football flesh. I've always believed Kahn understood the money side, but what has his involvement in talent decisions been.
They didn't hire a top personnel guy to be assistant GM by mistake.

Wolf44

Reaction score
No scouting experience which was a requirement in the search. So we hire a mediocre numbers guy who always pushes the can down the road and he knows little to nothing about the actual player evaluation. Great. More of the same old from the stale Tomlin led Steelers.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Do the steelers get a compensation pick for hiring a minority GM? I think they do get something.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Do the steelers get a compensation pick for hiring a minority GM? I think they do get something.
No. The league changed the criteria for the compensation picks. In order to get a pick for hiring a minority GM, it has to be a candidate from another team.
Edit: That was the old rule anyway. The new rule is that the team that you hired the candidate from gets the compensation pick(s) and the hiring team receives nothing. The hiring team also receives nothing if the candidate is an internal hire.

Last edited:

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
No. The league changed the criteria for the compensation picks. In order to get a pick for hiring a minority GM, it has to be a candidate from another team.
Edit: That was the old rule anyway. The new rule is that the team that you hired the candidate from gets the compensation pick(s) and the hiring team receives nothing. The hiring team also receives nothing if the candidate is an internal hire.

so it's a bullshit policy. One would think if you were serious about helping minority coaches, you would reward teams that hire, then train up and promote from within. Instead they want to reward the splash hire. Typical.

BamaSteeler52

Reaction score
My take is if he comes in with his own fresh ideas and shows to be aggressive in acquiring talent great... If he is a Tomlin puppet that they won't let think on his own well just plain dumb.

BamaSteeler52

Reaction score
The whole reward system for hiring needs to go away...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not surprised but why pick the guy for GM who has no history of talent assessment. He is the salary cap guy. I guess it's good they appear to be hiring Weidl from Philadelphia as assistant GM. I sure hope he works out.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I like it. Unlike many here, I think the Steelers handling of the cap is brilliant. They hired a scouting guy as AGM. Id rather us not kneecap ourselves with un-malleable , bad contracts, and this assures that is going to continue. He is asset control. Since tge 70’s, The Steelers scouting has always been a strong point in the org. Its not like Colbert or Donahoe were singular scouts making their own evaluations unilaterally

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Seriously, is anyone here surprised at all ???

Promote from within and keep the same ideas floating.
I'm okay with this but it does appear that the Steelers have developed an aversion to hiring from outside.

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
No one can say ownership didn’t do their due diligence. Hell I thought I was going to get a call to come interview. Kahn is a solid hire and has come close multiple times to being the GM somewhere else. I’m always a promote from within if the culture is good kind of guy anyways so I think this was a great hire. The outside/unknown always seems better but rarely lives up to the expectation. He’s been in the organization for over 20 years and has worked directly with Colbert for all of those years. Then you bring in a guy like Weidl who’s a talent evaluator and I think it further adds to the building.

bkwheat28

Reaction score
Not surprised. Was surprised at how in depth they took the search. I’m gonna reserve judgment for a few years till we see how he handles things.