• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Omar Khan is expected to be named Steelers' GM

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I think they just reversed roles. Colbert handled the scouting and player evaluations amongst other duties and maybe his relationship with Tomlin was a little too friendly. He was a paticipant in hiring MT and vested in his success. Don't know how much influence Tomlin had or has on draft weekend, maybe a bit much due to their relationship.

Kahn was in charge of the finance/cap, sure he pushes money due into the future in order to sign players who the organization deems important additions or to keep a guy on the roster. Who doesn't do that.

Now Kahn is in charge with the talent and performance evaluator Weidl the number two guy. Weidl has ties to the organization and area but not with Tomlin and some of the talent evaluators that have been around for years. In a way he has Kahn as a buffer and might just add a fresh perspective to the whole player evaluation and acquisition and make some changes where necessary.

Time will tell.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think they just reversed roles. Colbert handled the scouting and player evaluations amongst other duties and maybe his relationship with Tomlin was a little too friendly. He was a paticipant in hiring MT and vested in his success. Don't know how much influence Tomlin had or has on draft weekend, maybe a bit much due to their relationship.

Kahn was in charge of the finance/cap, sure he pushes money due into the future in order to sign players who the organization deems important additions or to keep a guy on the roster. Who doesn't do that.

Now Kahn is in charge with the talent and performance evaluator Weidl the number two guy. Weidl has ties to the organization and area but not with Tomlin and some of the talent evaluators that have been around for years. In a way he has Kahn as a buffer and might just add a fresh perspective to the whole player evaluation and acquisition and make some changes where necessary.

Time will tell.
Good points

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

Time will tell.
That part depends on how much say Tomlin had in the process. Seeing as how he participated in round 2 of the interviews, I'd guess it was substantial. Which would make either Kahn or Weidl (or both) a little beholden to Tomlin. Making him/them "his guy(s)".

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't care who you are. No way you should be involved in deciding who makes the decision if you keep your job. That is just stupid.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't care who you are. No way you should be involved in deciding who makes the decision if you keep your job. That is just stupid.
There's only one person in the Steelers organization who makes the decision whether Tomlin keeps his job or not. It's never been Colbert, and won't be Kahn. It's not how the Steelers handle that decision. If it was, Cowher would have been gone and Donahoe would have remained.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
No one can say ownership didn’t do their due diligence. Hell I thought I was going to get a call to come interview. Kahn is a solid hire and has come close multiple times to being the GM somewhere else. I’m always a promote from within if the culture is good kind of guy anyways so I think this was a great hire. The outside/unknown always seems better but rarely lives up to the expectation. He’s been in the organization for over 20 years and has worked directly with Colbert for all of those years. Then you bring in a guy like Weidl who’s a talent evaluator and I think it further adds to the building.
It simply was a dog and pony show. Nothing more ....nothing less.

Stewey

Reaction score
Congrats to Mr. Kahn!

Pretty cool, the GM of the Pittsburgh Steelers is named "Omar" 😎

And then we have a head coach that looks like an Omar.

omar-epps.webp

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
There's only one person in the Steelers organization who makes the decision whether Tomlin keeps his job or not. It's never been Colbert, and won't be Kahn. It's not how the Steelers handle that decision. If it was, Cowher would have been gone and Donahoe would have remained.
So Omar Kahn doesn't decide if Tomlin stays or goes. He doesn't decide who to draft or sign in FA. Hope he does the after hours cleanup. Cause if he doesn't WTF exactly does he do.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Why would Weidl take the assistant position? I wonder if there is some sort of understanding. Maybe they've already told Weidl he'll be next in line to take over for Khan. Maybe he's been told that he will completely run the scouting and Khan will just be a business manager.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

So Omar Kahn doesn't decide if Tomlin stays or goes. He doesn't decide who to draft or sign in FA. Hope he does the after hours cleanup. Cause if he doesn't WTF exactly does he do.
Now, if you reread what I posted, You'll see that I didn't mention anything about the draft or FA. What I did say was that Kahn doesn't decide if Tomlin stays or goes. And, no, he doesn't. That decision belongs to ARll. Just like the decision as to whether Cowher or Donahoe stayed belonged to his dad.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Now, if you reread what I posted, You'll see that I didn't mention anything about the draft or FA. What I did say was that Kahn doesn't decide if Tomlin stays or goes. And, no, he doesn't. That decision belongs to ARll. Just like the decision as to whether Cowher or Donahoe stayed belonged to his dad.
No I'm saying he won't decide who to draft and sign. So he has no say on the coaching end. He has at best limited say on the player end. What does he do?

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
No I'm saying he won't decide who to draft and sign. So he has no say on the coaching end. He has at best limited say on the player end. What does he do?
Same thing he always did. Manage/massage the cap.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Why would Weidl take the assistant position? I wonder if there is some sort of understanding. Maybe they've already told Weidl he'll be next in line to take over for Khan. Maybe he's been told that he will completely run the scouting and Khan will just be a business manager.
First and foremost
$$$$$$
Secondly
Organization
Thirdly
Work location

Reactions: MTC

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Same thing he always did. Manage/massage the cap.
Well some people would say he kicked a **** of a lot of money down the road. I'd definitely say that is an under representation of what GM should do. If that is the deal why not create a title and double his salary and keep him at what he was good at. Maybe Colbert didn't have final say on Tomlin's job but he was certainly in the Deuce's ear and knew on field football.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Well some people old say he kicked a **** of a lot of money down the road. I'd definitely say that is an under representation of what GM should do. If that is the deal why not create a title and double his salary and keep him at what he was good at. Maybe Colbert didn't have final say on Tomlin's job but he was certainly in the Deuce's ear and knew on field football.
****, I'm not saying it was a good hire. I think they gave him the GM title because he was going to walk if he didn't get it. Folks around the NFL seem to think he's a cap guru. So, they didn't want their long-time cap expert to walk. But, they needed someone with scouting/talent eval experience ..... hence, the hiring of Weidl as Asst. GM.
Hope it works out for the team.
As for the under representation of what a GM is supposed to do. If you look at it, they just flipped the positioning. In the past Kahn, the subordinate numbers guy, worked out the contract details. Colbert the GM handled the player acquisition. Now, the numbers guy is the GM and the talent eval/acquisition guy is the subordinate. It will be interesting to see how that works out. I hope it transitions smoothly and effectively. But, there's a part of me that says the talent guy should be in charge.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
That part depends on how much say Tomlin had in the process. Seeing as how he participated in round 2 of the interviews, I'd guess it was substantial. Which would make either Kahn or Weidl (or both) a little beholden to Tomlin. Making him/them "his guy(s)".
Yea, there might be some of that but both Kahn and Weidl have been in the business for a long time. If they don't know how to use their elbows by now it's on them. Weidle should be use to dealing with some big ego's in Philadelphia, the down side though of having some really big drafts is he won't be around long. Some team will give him the whole enchilada. But I'll take it if that's the case.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
****, I'm not saying it was a good hire. I think they gave him the GM title because he was going to walk if he didn't get it. Folks around the NFL seem to think he's a cap guru. So, they didn't want their long-time cap expert to walk. But, they needed someone with scouting/talent eval experience ..... hence, the hiring of Weidl as Asst. GM.
Hope it works out for the team.
As for the under representation of what a GM is supposed to do. If you look at it, they just flipped the positioning. In the past Kahn, the subordinate numbers guy, worked out the contract details. Colbert the GM handled the player acquisition. Now, the numbers guy is the GM and the talent eval/acquisition guy is the subordinate. It will be interesting to see how that works out. I hope it transitions smoothly and effectively. But, there's a part of me that says the talent guy should be in charge.
Agreed.

steelhurt

Reaction score
My thoughts are that Omar and Andy will work very close on player personnel decisions. Andy is highly respected player personnel man in the league and Omar as we know is the cap Wizard. Both will work extremely close but think the player decisions will be based heavily on Andy’s input.
As for Cool Shades, only Art II will terminate him not the other two and that simply ain’t happening anytime soon.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It was a promotion from his current position with the Eagles and I would assume more money.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
So the intro PC is 10am today; probably they will introduce Weidl and describe the roles clearly.

Congrats to Omar and his new team!

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I would have much rather seen them go outside the organization, given things have not been too great for the past several seasons, but Khan seems qualified.

The Steelers probably made this decision years ago.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with MR Kahn. Good for him and the best to him. How Mr. Rooney has lost site under Tomlin control becomes more of a thing each decision made by both Tomlin and Rooney. This team need some new blood we have tanked each of the last what five years for sure, our talent has not been the best and Steelers continue to keep the same eyes.