• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Opportunity Missed?

xjx

Reaction score
He played well for us last year. I really hope Pouncey works out, but I'm afraid his thuggish behaviour will have him in trouble sooner rather than later. This team doesn't need that kind of distraction.
I think Velasco was a better option than Wallace. I hope Wallace can prove me wrong.

jdell

Reaction score
No worries. The FO went with Wallace for the C/G back up spot who is currently healthy,

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Velasco was a good stop gap but he's not that athletic and the steelers want to run the zone which needs athletic linemen.

Vader

Reaction score
Velasco was a good stop gap but he's not that athletic and the steelers want to run the zone which needs athletic linemen.

Not sure I agree. Velasco ran the ZBS very well in TN for several years. He was even trying to teach it to the other guys during practice. Here is what one report said about it:

Velasco played for the Titans for five years and was the centerpiece of the scheme with running back Chris Johnson before coming to the Steelers.

Velasco was coaching the offensive line about the scheme during part of Wednesday's practice.

“It is just about getting reps,” Velasco said. “I think the guys are getting more comfortable with it. It is just about getting more reps on the board.”

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, its called "playing football", tends to make people prone to various injuries

nooneuno

Forefather
Reaction score
Munchak coached Velasco if he felt he offered more than what we have I'm sure he would of pushed to sign him, he obviously didn't.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Munchak coached Velasco if he felt he offered more than what we have I'm sure he would of pushed to sign him, he obviously didn't.

you may be right.. Just makes me wonder if the money makes a bigger difference...? Not sure.. velasco must be healthy though...

I liked his play.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Munchak released him prior to 2013 so obviously he wasn't very Hugh on him.

Lloyds legend

Contributor
Reaction score
Velasco was an excellent pick up when Pouncey was injured.

I liked the way he played, and I'm fairly sure the reason he wasn't resigned was based on him coming off injury and the money he would have commanded.

Not to mention the money they already have invested in the position.

Panthers got a good player.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, Coach Munch would have kept him, if the merit was there. I do think when Velasco came off the couch and started in less than a week, was our best lineman. Whats that tell you of the rest of the talent of that time. I feel we are way better today, than we were then.

Salute the nation

SteelerAl

Reaction score
The Steelers liked what Wallace provided when forced into action last season but the big issue with Velasco was that he suffered his injury on Thanksgiving night and Achilles injuries can take more than 12 months for a full recovery...they went with the healthy option instead of the unhealthy/uncertain one.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I wish the guy all the best, he came in here and did a hell of a job as far as I'm concerned. That being said, when Wallace took over, he looked pretty solid too, so that's a nice problem to have.

Joe

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure I agree. Velasco ran the ZBS very well in TN for several years. He was even trying to teach it to the other guys during practice. Here is what one report said about it:

He knows how to do it, he's just not that good at getting to the second level. They must think Cody Wallace and Wesley Johnson have more upside and position flexibility.

Wingman

Reaction score
Velasco was a cap casualty, simple as that.

I think this may have more going for it than we know. Couple this with his recent injury and recovery and they may have a cheaper back up in Fister.

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score
Velasco was a cap casualty, simple as that.

This. Plus anyone coming off a torn achilles is a risk. Particularly a 300 pound man.

I like Velasco as he really helped us and was obviously a real pro. It would have been interesting to see what happened if he hadn't got injured.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Many believe that Torn Achilles are much more difficult to come back from than an ACL injury. It basically takes away your explosiveness- it has ended many NFL and NBA players careers...

Cody was cheaper and healthy- not a hard decision

Vader

Reaction score
He knows how to do it, he's just not that good at getting to the second level. They must think Cody Wallace and Wesley Johnson have more upside and position flexibility.

He did it in TN for several years. He was very good at it. My guess is that they are less concerned with the ZBS and more concerned about his injury and cap hit. You think Wallace is more athletic than Velasco? But he is the main backup.