• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Our Free Agent Signings.....

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Mike Mitchell

LaGarrett Blount

Cam Thomas

Darrius Heyward-Bay

Arthur Moats

Brice McCain

Lance Moore

Re-Signed: Cody Wallace, Guy Whimper, Ike Taylor, Will Allen, and Greg Warren

Do they bring back: Ziggy Hood, James Harrison, Fernando Velasco, or Stephens-Howling

Discuss.....

NC STEEL

Reaction score
Ziggy signed in Jacksonville, Velasco, Howling need to prove there health. Harrison will be a post draft decision.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Ziggy Hood signed elsewhere. Harrison is likely done. Velasco may be rehabbing all year. I think they go young with the 3rd RB. In fact, I think we are done in free agency until we get closer to training camp, when some of the asking prices drop.

Silent

Reaction score
We don't know the extent of his injury, so Velasco will be harder to decide on, if we think he would only miss 4 games or less, i see us signing him again. Harrison - if we don't draft a OLB or ILB early, we may pay him to back up the OLB's.. And no to Stephens-Howling.

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
Add Keisel to the ..do they bring back list.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Kiesel, LSH, Harrison? There is a good chance all 3 are back right before camp- Unless we draft some depth at those positions... Which is exactly what their roles would be in the season going forward.

Velasco may not be able to play until midway next year! Especially an Achilles injury for a man that size.. So I have no idea what theyre going to do with him

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Kiesel & Harrison would be great "minimum $$$" back up material. They are two consomite pro players, who understand our system. Key thing though, is cost, vs the cap hit. Risk free 2yr deals.

Salute the nation

deljzc

Reaction score
Based on our depth, I would give Keisel more than vet minimum. I think he's a starter (over Cam Thomas).

You have to make the carrot for him worth another season of damage to his body. He's got money, family, security.

I think it's going to take a minimum $1.5 million and maybe $2 million to get Keisel to play this year and I'm fully on board paying him that much to keep starting at RDE.

Harrison's an interesting case. I think Vet minimum might be all he's looking at and no guarantees to even make the team. He can't play special teams but that's not that big a deal since Jarvis Jones should be (as long as two of the four OLB's are special teams eligible, should be okay). His ability to play both OLB spots in Lebeau's system is a big plus to me. I just don't think we lose much if Harrison is forced to play 2-3 games because of a hamstring or elbow or something like that to Worilds OR Jones.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If Howling is healthy, I see them signing him back. He was looking good last year before he got injured. Coming off the injury, he should be a cheap acquisition that can jump right back in.

freak

Reaction score
i still don't understand what they see on cam thomas

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought Keisel played well when healthy last season. Not sure why they've snubbed him so much since the season ended.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

on him some clothes probably some jewelry, a wallet with some credit cards....

probably a couple hun-ded and even possible a few Jimmies.

keslerclan

Reaction score
I think Diesel, Deebo and LSH will all be back...and none at league minimum. The only way it doesn't happen is IF we somehow end up with premier picks at their positions in the draft. I think the FO has already had discussions w their agents and is letting them opt for signing elsewhere in the case they can land a better deal.

I look at it this way. I understand the need to 'get younger' and get the youngsters some time on the field BUT does anyone really believe that our replacements at OLB and DE (at present) will have more production than Diesel or Harrison starting this year? Last year, neither Jones nor Worilds could come close to a sack or pressure on the right side. (i think they finished w 3 sacks between them). Deebo managed to double those numbers in his last 5 games while coming off numerous injuries. Deebo also rated very high as an ILB for Cinncy when he was on the field as a run stuffer. HE also is coming off basically a year long rehab and rest period for all those injuries suffered going against the LTs. HE is likely to be in better shape (healthwise) than he has been in years. He told Ike he was 'down to' a measly 650# squat in his off-season a few months ago. I would venture to guess that is about what Worilds and Jones could do...together. I'm NOT suggesting a starting role because you need to let the younger players earn the time they need to get better but in a rotational (demonstrative/rest giving) role, these guys will likely out-perform their younger counterparts, IMO. Sure would be NICE to have some REAL DEPTH at critical positions right?
Diesel is coming off another highly productive year where he (even at his advanced age) saw more playing time than his present replacement has in his CAREER! LSH, looked very good running behind a crap OL early last year and has the eyes and quickness to make our OL look better. He also could take some of the load given from Brown and Sanders ST play at returner IF we don't find a good one in the draft. You will notice the Vets agents have been 'quiet' considering they are paid to find jobs for their players. Maybe the Vets aren't in a hurry to be signed thusly guaranteeing they will have to participate prior to training camp? Who knows? What I feel is these players on the downside of their careers will still be more productive than the younger players trying to replace them, let alone THEIR back-ups. Ask yourself this...who would you rather have as a back-up to Cam Thomas, Diesel or ? How about as a back-up for Jones, Deebo or Carter? This does not even bring into question the 'work ethic' that the 'old vets' bring with them.

deljzc

Reaction score
12 months ago it was pretty obvious based on tape/practice/playing time that Heyward > Keisel > Hood > Woods

And everyone knows Woods was our first choice (and got more money) than Thomas. Thus Woods > Thomas.

So I too would be very confused they don't resign an obvious upgrade to Thomas in Keisel if he's available (and at more money). I really hope this front office doesn't try to sell me that Thomas is better than Keisel now and Thomas deserves a ton of playing time. He's a nice rotational guy. He's nice to have as a backup "in case".

Trying to sell me he's a starter? No.

keslerclan

Reaction score
The Cam Thomas signing baffled me Del. Surely I would like to see what Arnfelt has on the field BUT what if it's not 'starter quality' stuff? Has the 360#+ Cam Thomas shown better stuff on tape? Not in my opinion. In fact, I see a guy who had a tremendous 'up-side' coming out of the draft look like he stopped trying to get better. He is much heavier and squishier than he was at 330#. His lack of playing time and offers from even his own team shows how little they valued him. There was a small 'run' on big guys as the FA season opened and we panicked IMO. Maybe the contract's 1 million SB is really 'just in case' money to the FO. All I know is, 1 million guaranteed PLUS another million to play this year seems like a lot to me when you can get a dedicated, productive vet like Diesel for the same money.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
harrison 1 year vet min
Kesiel 1 year 1.5 mill

STEELERS R GR8

Reaction score
I would like to see keisel back for sure and maybe draft a young guy for him to teach . The question I have is are they moving McClendon to end like I keep readin or not? If they do then should they draft a young guy, de wjll be a little crowded with heyward, McClendon, keisel, armfelt and a draft guy right? I think other then him we wait and see how our draft falls and who gets released.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
12 months ago it was pretty obvious based on tape/practice/playing time that Heyward > Keisel > Hood > Woods

And everyone knows Woods was our first choice (and got more money) than Thomas. Thus Woods > Thomas.

So I too would be very confused they don't resign an obvious upgrade to Thomas in Keisel if he's available (and at more money). I really hope this front office doesn't try to sell me that Thomas is better than Keisel now and Thomas deserves a ton of playing time. He's a nice rotational guy. He's nice to have as a backup "in case".

Trying to sell me he's a starter? No.

Im not disagreeing with your general theme

But after this year, I am not sure if it was necessarily Keisel>Woods. Keisel is old and his production value noticeably tapered- While Woods is a question mark, but young and potential upside

Not saying that Cam Thomas is a stud- but we have to admit that the Beard has lost a step and would serve as a backup (hopefully)

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Hope Velasco heals up and they sign him ... thought he played real well before his injury ... was quite a pleasant surprise. Seemed like he wanted to prove somethin' once the stillers gave him a shot.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

I think he was the only "young" Dlineman left in free agency with starting experience that could be signed to a cheap contract

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I'm curious as to what "VET" minimum is? I know the meaning, but not sure of Dollar designation, per years of service. Is there a chart showing minimum salary vs years of service in the league?
I like Keisel and what he brings, when healthy. Just don't want to mortgage future, for a non future player.

Salute the nation

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Mike Mitchell

LaGarrett Blount

Cam Thomas

Darrius Heyward-Bay

Arthur Moats

Brice McCain

Lance Moore

Discuss.....

If someone would of said that the Steeler would sign this many free agents, with several potential starters in the bunch, 3 months ago, I would of not belived it.

Very unusual, but very productive off-season, for the Steeler organization.

deljzc

Reaction score
I guess I'm curious as to what "VET" minimum is? I know the meaning, but not sure of Dollar designation, per years of service. Is there a chart showing minimum salary vs years of service in the league?
I like Keisel and what he brings, when healthy. Just don't want to mortgage future, for a non future player.

Salute the nation

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2011/07/2011-2014-nfl-minimum-base-salaries/

I think you can still include a nominal signing bonus ($65,000 or something) and still have the player count as a "minimum contract" player.

When you sign a veteran to a minimum contract, he does NOT count full amount against the salary cap (it's the only case where the dollars spent don't equal dollars on the salary cap). I think he counts like a 1st year player of something ($495,000) plus the signing bonus (if you did it or not).

I could be off in the 10's of thousands but it's not that big of deal in the scheme of things. When you sign a 10-year veteran to a 1-year, minimum contract ($955,000.00) with a $65,000 signing bonus he only will count like $550k or $560k against he salary cap, thus replacing one of the many low salary players making up spots #45 to #51 on our salary cap list (by dollars).