• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Overrated/underrated you agree?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
To me, Bortles is the most overrated of them all.

I hear about this 'ideal' size, and this big bodied athletic QB similar to a young Ben Roethliseberger. But then he comes and runs a slower 40 time than ~300lb Aaron Donald? lol

With Johnny, you know what you have- he is boom or bust all the way.
Teddy? He seems most pro ready and has the highest floor. Maybe not as high a ceiling.
Bortles? c'mon man. It reminds me of the hype that Blaine Gabbert received before the draft

How "fast" do you think Ben is? I didn't see Manning or Brady blazing up the 40 times either.

In case your too lazy to look, Ben 4.75, Manning 4.8, Brady 5.28, and Rodgers 4.71. The 40 time is the PERFECT thing to evaluate QB's...

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
How "fast" do you think Ben is? I didn't see Manning or Brady blazing up the 40 times either.

In case your too lazy to look, Ben 4.75, Manning 4.8, Brady 5.28, and Rodgers 4.71. The 40 time is the PERFECT thing to evaluate QB's...

Bortles has been praised for both his stature and athletic ability. And then you show me that he runs nearly 0.15 seconds slower than a 'statue' (also known as Peyton)?

Not saying to evaluate him on simply his speed alone- but when you're getting credit for being a big and athletic QB (Young Big Ben), but you run close to a 5 on the forty, I would be skeptical.

Silent

Reaction score
Being athletic doesn't mean you can only run in a straight line for 40 yards. He moves in the pocket, able to throw on the run - that's also athletic ability.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Bortles has been praised for both his stature and athletic ability. And then you show me that he runs nearly 0.15 seconds slower than a 'statue' (also known as Peyton)?

Not saying to evaluate him on simply his speed alone- but when you're getting credit for being a big and athletic guy, but you run close to a 5 on the forty, I would be concerned.

I've got to agree with insanity...I really couldn't care at all about a QB's 40 time if he's a pocket passer like Bortles...

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
I've got to agree with insanity...I really couldn't care at all about a QB's 40 time if he's a pocket passer like Bortles...

But that's what I am saying-

He is not a scrambler like Johnny, where 40 and vert's are very important.

But he also is not a traditional boring pocket passer like Teddy.

He is a little of both but not great at either. But he appears to be garnering acclaim over both QB's.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
But that's what I am saying-

He is not a scrambler like Johnny, where 40 and vert's are very important.

But he also is not a traditional boring pocket passer like Teddy.

He is a little of both but not great at either. But he appears to be garnering acclaim over both QB's.

He's a big dude who is not going to outrun anyone in the NFL. He projects as a pure pocket passer whether he liked to scramble in college or not. What you want to see is how he moves within the pocket.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
He's a big dude who is not going to outrun anyone in the NFL. He projects as a pure pocket passer whether he liked to scramble in college or not. What you want to see is how he moves within the pocket.

which is pretty well given his size, thus the "big athletic QB" tag.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Some how the calls on here to trade Ben and draft Bridgewater have fallen off. There were some on here that wanted to trade Ben to move up and get him. Now I guess they don't need to trade Ben and they can draft him at 15.

You're going to get nothing but crickets to this one my friend, but well said.

Joe

Vader

Reaction score
You're going to get nothing but crickets to this one my friend, but well said.

Joe

Yup, all those guys that wanted Ben gone won't stand up now. Hell you probably won't even have to trade Ben to get Bridgewater now.