• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Overrated/underrated you agree?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am asking, what about Teddy's style or game playing ability would cause you to compare him to Geno Smith?

just a gut feeling I get when watching the guy. He's slight (6'3", 196) while Smith is an inch shorter, but heavier.
Teddy played in a weak conference and had no real challenge. Thus, he didnt have to work on his game. As such, he will be tested and challenged every week, even more so on game day. I just don't think he's got the "it" factor for a first round QB. I doubt he'll be the kind of QB to carry a team (Manning, Brady, Ben, Brees, Rodgers).

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
just a gut feeling I get when watching the guy. He's slight (6'3", 196) while Smith is an inch shorter, but heavier.
Teddy played in a weak conference and had no real challenge. Thus, he didnt have to work on his game. As such, he will be tested and challenged every week, even more so on game day. I just don't think he's got the "it" factor for a first round QB. I doubt he'll be the kind of QB to carry a team (Manning, Brady, Ben, Brees, Rodgers).

Fair enough

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I saw Savage ranked 31st on CBS's big board. The guy probably has the best arm in the draft, but lacks mobility in the pocket and accuracy. Definitely coachable, but I'd take him in the fifth at the earliest.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't teach accuracy. Draft accurate QBs, receivers that can catch, RBs that run hard and hold on to the rock, LBs that strike hard, and DBs that can get TOs.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
I strongly disagree with Latimer, Moncrief @ Seferian-jenkin roby overrated, I do agree Matt hazel, Phillip Gaines,E.J Gaines@ Dontae Johnson as vastly underrated, these 4 are going to be major steals.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
When I saw Latimer on the list, I thought this guy does not know what the hell he is talking about. I read somewhere today where Latimer was compared to Keenan Allen. Everyone here knows how much I liked Keenan Allen, and I like Latimer too, but there are some significant differences between the two. Allen was a monster after the catch with the ball. He could see creases and get through them. He made guys miss. He ran through tackles. Latimer tries, but he is not in Allen's league in this area. Also, Allen was a very polished route runner and Latimer is still a work in progress. Where are they similar? Both are big, well built WRs. Both have good speed. Both have excellent hands and can make catches in traffic. So, could Latimer develop into a guy like Allen? Yeah, I see it. But, he is not there and not even close to being as ready as Allen was.

Latimer is 6025, 215 pounds. He ran a 4.39-4.44 forty at his pro day and is coming off an injury. He had a vertical jump of 39" and plays to that length/leaping ability. One of the things I like about him is he is physical. Good blocker and very good in the redzone because of the way he plays. You can swing a pass behind him and he will mess up the corner to spring the run. He will get into the endzone and use his body to wall off, then his hands come in and he makes the contested catch. I would have loved to see him run more interior routes and a wider variety, but he appears to have the athleticism to get out of his breaks. He beats the jam well enough. When he faced Dennard, he had several plays where he had him beaten. Indiana did not exactly have great QB play. So, I can see him easily as a late 1st rounder. In fact, he is said to be gaining steam with the Ravens and may be on their short list at #17.

I

Idioteque

Bridgewater is one of the few recent QBs I've seen enter the draft who understand what the pocket as, and what function it serves. That's huge. All of the arm, speed, or playbook knowledge you have means nothing if you don't know how to work the pocket. And Bridgewater can (at least, he did vs. his schedule). He shows an outstanding feel for what's around him, and he moves within the pocket. That is, he keeps his eyes downfield and keeps looking for targets while he's moving. He doesn't need to abandon his receivers to take off running. Almost all young QBs look downfield, run out of the pocket to avoid the rush, then, if there's time, look downfield again. Bridgewater does it all in one motion. This is just an invaluable trait for a QB to have, especially one who hasn't played yet. It's usually an instinct thing as opposed to something that can be learned on the fly, so on that front, he's miles ahead of the learning curve.

That said, his upside is not mind-boggling. He's small and his arm is iffy, and it's not like he's got memorable college performances to lean on. So, while I think he's as pro-ready as they come, he could also top out in the Jason Campbell class. He won't be a dumbass, throwing gobs of INTs. But he may not be the lead-your-team-all-the-way type. So I get why he'd fall in the draft.

I

Idioteque

Nix is underrated? OK.

Attaochu is garbage. I don't see a damn thing there.

ianv2012

Reaction score

Dude he's 6'3 214, that's called believing what your told, everyone talked about his slight frame and that he was under 200lbs then he shows up at the combine at 214 so that should have been dispelled long ago yet it's still brought up as a knock against him. As for him never having to work on his game, he's the only qb in the draft that knew his play book front and back and where all of his teammates were supposed to be on every play, including calling protection. I'd love to know how many college qbs know their entire offense to call the protection scheme, not to mention he called most of the plays himself being in command of a pro style offense. He really understands defensive concepts and coverages. He knows how to look off defenders, and goes through his progressions consistently. Every year we hear how these college qbs have to get used to playing under center in a pro style offense, read the defense, go through their progressions, and everything I described above. He does all of it, idc what anyone says pro day workout whatever, this guy has been my number 1 qb and nothing has changed that I'd take him without hesitation and could care less what the media said.

I

Idioteque

Dude he's 6'3 214, that's called believing what your told, everyone talked about his slight frame and that he was under 200lbs then he shows up at the combine at 214 so that should have been dispelled long ago yet it's still brought up as a knock against him.

That was his weight at the combine. At his Pro Day a few weeks later, he was 208. Sources have claimed he played as low as 188 in college. I am also not a fan of just buying whatever crap gets spewed by the media, and I like Bridgewater a lot, but his frame is a legit question mark.

Vader

Reaction score
Dude he's 6'3 214, that's called believing what your told, everyone talked about his slight frame and that he was under 200lbs then he shows up at the combine at 214 so that should have been dispelled long ago yet it's still brought up as a knock against him. As for him never having to work on his game, he's the only qb in the draft that knew his play book front and back and where all of his teammates were supposed to be on every play, including calling protection. I'd love to know how many college qbs know their entire offense to call the protection scheme, not to mention he called most of the plays himself being in command of a pro style offense. He really understands defensive concepts and coverages. He knows how to look off defenders, and goes through his progressions consistently. Every year we hear how these college qbs have to get used to playing under center in a pro style offense, read the defense, go through their progressions, and everything I described above. He does all of it, idc what anyone says pro day workout whatever, this guy has been my number 1 qb and nothing has changed that I'd take him without hesitation and could care less what the media said.

Just curious about who told you he was the only one who knew his playbook.

ianv2012

Reaction score
That was his weight at the combine. At his Pro Day a few weeks later, he was 208. Sources have claimed he played as low as 188 in college. I am also not a fan of just buying whatever crap gets spewed by the media, and I like Bridgewater a lot, but his frame is a legit question mark.

What bothers me most about what the media pushes and spews is that none have a problem with manziel at just about 200, I think he'll be fine he's showed toughness throughout his years of playing I'd still take him

ianv2012

Reaction score
Just curious about who told you he was the only one who knew his playbook.

Your right I obviously shouldn't have said he's the only one but it's rare of qbs coming out of college

Vader

Reaction score
What bothers me most about what the media pushes and spews is that none have a problem with manziel at just about 200, I think he'll be fine he's showed toughness throughout his years of playing I'd still take him

Not sure what you are watching but some in the media have said they wouldn't take Manziel in the first part of the draft. Many people have a problem with his size. Here is one article about it:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...4-nfl-draft-scouting-report-texas-am-size-arm

Here is Manziel talking about what NFL people are worried about with him:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...eful-to-russell-wilson-for-killing-size-bias/

Go listen to Merril Hoge on him:

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Not sure what you are watching but some in the media have said they wouldn't take Manziel in the first part of the draft. Many people have a problem with his size. Here is one article about it:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...4-nfl-draft-scouting-report-texas-am-size-arm

Here is Manziel talking about what NFL people are worried about with him:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...eful-to-russell-wilson-for-killing-size-bias/

Go listen to Merril Hoge on him:

0 to 1 in those categories? I do not like Manziel that much, but I cannot even remotely agree with Hodge in most of his assessment on the player.

He talks about Manziel like he's Tim Tebow. Anyone who's even remotely familiar with the respective players' games coming out of college knows that's ludicrous.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
Johnny Football will be broken very soon.

Vader

Reaction score
0 to 1 in those categories? I do not like Manziel that much, but I cannot even remotely agree with Hodge in most of his assessment on the player.

He talks about Manziel like he's Tim Tebow. Anyone who's even remotely familiar with the respective players' games coming out of college knows that's ludicrous.

Didn't say I agreed with him. I was just showing that other QBs have been blasted by the media not just poor Teddy. I personally don't like this QB class all that much. I like Mettenberger mostly because he can be had later in the draft where there is some value.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Didn't say I agreed with him. I was just showing that other QBs have been blasted by the media not just poor Teddy. I personally don't like this QB class all that much. I like Mettenberger mostly because he can be had later in the draft where there is some value.

Last year they pumped up the QB class so much that Nassib was going to be a first-round pick. Draft guys always overrate the QBs. This year's class is better, but I'm not sold on any true franchise quarterbacks in 2014.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I never cared for Bridgewater. Like I said earlier, many NFL FO people have said all along that he wasn't a top 10 pick. It's the non-NFL people that talked him up to start with. There isn't much I like about the guy. He played for a program that had a horrible schedule. They played nobody at all. Then he doesn't have elite size, arm strength or speed. He maybe "pro-ready" but that's the type of talk that was around when Gino Torretta came out.
Article on Bridgewater in my latest ESPN Magazine. ****, his arms aren't any bigger than mine.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Article on Bridgewater in my latest ESPN Magazine. ****, his arms aren't any bigger than mine.

Not for nothing-

Teddy is actually a bigger QB than Tom Brady was at his combine- for what its worth

:cool:

Also, his size isn't that huge of an issue because he doesn't play like a mad man like Manziel.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
To me, Bortles is the most overrated of them all.

I hear about this 'ideal' size, and this big bodied athletic QB similar to a young Ben Roethliseberger. But then he comes and runs a slower 40 time than ~300lb Aaron Donald? lol

With Johnny, you know what you have- he is boom or bust all the way.
Teddy? He seems most pro ready and has the highest floor. Maybe not as high a ceiling.
Bortles? c'mon man. It reminds me of the hype that Blaine Gabbert received before the draft

Vader

Reaction score

Some how the calls on here to trade Ben and draft Bridgewater have fallen off. There were some on here that wanted to trade Ben to move up and get him. Now I guess they don't need to trade Ben and they can draft him at 15.