• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Penalty Analysis

ark steel

Reaction score
While the team has taken way to many penalties this year, something Cope said (I think it was Cope) wondering about the propensity of the officials in those games to throw flags, not just the players' propensity to commit the penalties. This seems to have some legitimacy.

Looking only at penalties accepted.

Cleveland 11 penalties 87 yards, Steelers 12 for 116
KC 12 penalties for 76 yards, Steelers 12 for 90
TB 9 penalties for 80 yards, Steelers 13 for 155
BLT 7 penalties for 50 yards, Steelers 5 for 40
ATL 7 penalties for 75 yards, Steelers 7 for 58.

the TB game seems to be the only one that doesn't have a close fit. For the first two games, we committed 24 penalties and the opponent 23. In our least penalized games, were also our opponent's least penalized games.

I had thought that the last two games might be a signal that the penalties were getting under control. However, with the flags flying similar against both teams in most games, I'm not so sure.

Except for their last games, Colts and Browns have very similar penalties to their opponents and even the last game isn't a lot different. Chargers have a pretty close fit. Except for their middle game, Saints have a close fit

ark steel

Reaction score
Bud has taken over as our lead penalty getter with 5. Tied at second with 4 are Villanueva, Watt and Burns.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well regardless good to see those penalties down. Hopefully this trend continues.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the "notorious slow start" of this team is behind us. I see as a team them getting better and better as I hope the coaching staff inproves as well. I just don't get why this trend has to be this way. Is everything fixed, hell no but the trend is in the right direction. This game will be a tell tale as to big picture for the team this year.

Salute the nation

ark steel

Reaction score
How many of those penalties were RTP? That skews the calculation.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

RTP shows as only 3

Offensive Holding, as many would suspect, is our team leader at 10 of those. We are tied for 23rd worst in the league for that.

Our next biggest is Unnecessary roughness at 7. Worst in the league. Only one player has committed two of these (Bostic). 2 happened in game 1, FOUR

ark steel

Reaction score
How many of those penalties were RTP? That skews the calculation.

We have a whopping 59 total penalties. 10 were declined.

I mentioned Offensive Holding as what I expect to see the most of.

RTP shows as only 3. 2 in game 3 and 1 in game 5.

Offensive Holding, as many would suspect, is our team leader at 10 of those. We are tied for 23rd worst in the league for that. I should add that I expect the next two most called penalties to be Defensive Holding and Defensive Pass Interference. Maybe False Start instead of one of the others.

Our next biggest is Unnecessary roughness at 7. Worst in the league. Only one player has committed two of these (Bostic). 2 happened in game 1, FOUR in game 3 and 1 in game 5.

We have 5 illegal block above the waist (FOUR in game 2)

we have 5 Defensive Offside and 5 defensive holding.

We are 3rd best in the league with only 3 False starts

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Anecdotal, but I feel like the Steelers have had some very untimely calls. The one TD drive last week was stopped twice if not for penalties. But all in all I blame the players. Some very poor discipline. The one on Bostic was beyond stupid. Like you just got a huge sack to put them in a bad way. God that was dumb. The Watt penalty on the other hand was just a plain bad call. But I see how the ref could make the mistake depending on his angle on the play.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the "notorious slow start" of this team is behind us. I see as a team them getting better and better as I hope the coaching staff inproves as well. I just don't get why this trend has to be this way. Is everything fixed, hell no but the trend is in the right direction. This game will be a tell tale as to big picture for the team this year.

Salute the nation

That's what I'm thinkin'. We **** the bed Sunday and the writing will be on the wall. The Bungles have our division in hand and we have to go get it back, in their stadium, in front of everybody or it will be a very long season to endure.

I don't think this is an important game, it's a make or break game.

What say JonBoy .....

th

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinkin'. We **** the bed Sunday and the writing will be on the wall. The Bungles have our division in hand and we have to go get it back, in their stadium, in front of everybody or it will be a very long season to endure.

I don't think this is an important game, it's a make or break game.

What say JonBoy .....

th

MEon hasn't been noisy so that's one less distraction but that FRACKING WR who tosses furniture like a TD spike, has made a little noise. I hope that distraction doesn't affect the team as a whole and they can get down on the focus part. AB is a monster attention ***** weather on or off the field of play and hopefully the team has grown thicker skin towards it.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I think the refs (and players) are still adapting to the new rules and erring on the side of caution. Way too many flags but in every game I've seen it's been pretty even-handed on both teams.
When Ben gets roughing calls you know they're being awful damn picky about it.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
They need a division win and really can't afford to fall another game back. With Cleveland showing a pulse, there are no guaranteed W's anymore.

Speaking of penalties, how do they rank as far as 12 on defense? Seems like it's happened at least. 2 or 3 times so far.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Actually they need two out of three division wins at minimum and considering the shaky state of their kicking game they will need to be near flawless and a little lucky.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Anecdotal, but I feel like the Steelers have had some very untimely calls. The one TD drive last week was stopped twice if not for penalties. But all in all I blame the players. Some very poor discipline. The one on Bostic was beyond stupid. Like you just got a huge sack to put them in a bad way. God that was dumb. The Watt penalty on the other hand was just a plain bad call. But I see how the ref could make the mistake depending on his angle on the play.

Hey Sask, Lolley at DK sports commented that the UR penalty on Bostic was from he and Tuitt having equipment locked together. That’s what caused the second push after the sack. Apparently this and TJ’s phantom RTP call is what ticked off Tomlin.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Giants looked well coached last night

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the refs (and players) are still adapting to the new rules and erring on the side of caution. Way too many flags but in every game I've seen it's been pretty even-handed on both teams.
When Ben gets roughing calls you know they're being awful damn picky about it.

The new rules suck. They need to understand these are grown men throwing their bodies at each other. Violent collisions are going to occur. Tweaking the rule to understand that and accept that not every time a QB gets touched is a penalty would be a good thing

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Hey Sask, Lolley at DK sports commented that the UR penalty on Bostic was from he and Tuitt having equipment locked together. That’s what caused the second push after the sack. Apparently this and TJ’s phantom RTP call is what ticked off Tomlin.

Not saying it wasn't didn't look good on the original replay. I could see why the flag was thrown.

ark steel

Reaction score

Equipment locked together?

ark steel

Reaction score
Speaking of penalties, how do they rank as far as 12 on defense? Seems like it's happened at least. 2 or 3 times so far.

Three of those. Worst by 1. SEA, OAK and DEN all have 2. BLT has 1. Couple other teams had 1, I think.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
bud has to get the face masking tacking under control

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
MEon hasn't been noisy so that's one less distraction but that FRACKING WR who tosses furniture like a TD spike, has made a little noise. I hope that distraction doesn't affect the team as a whole and they can get down on the focus part. AB is a monster attention ***** weather on or off the field of play and hopefully the team has grown thicker skin towards it.

Salute the nation

This game is the second game in a row that's on regular TV here in the woods of N. Fla. That means I do not have to play nice in the family room with USTV and can go to my shop where there are no rules for smoking, spilled drinks or off color language.

I get the Stillers game first then the local team (Jagoffs) at 4. Usually that means I can't forget to Divo both games or I won't remember wtf happened on either one...LOL

th

th

This is what I'll be screamin' fo.....

th

ark steel

Reaction score
Update to add the ATL game and CIN game.

Steelers 7 penalties, ATL 7.
Steelers 9, CIN 6

A couple games in the middle where penalties seem to be under control (5 and 7 each game)

ATL game follows the hypothesis, CIN does not.

These are total penalties, regardless of declined or not.

Artie Burns has taken over as the penalty leader with 6. Followed by Watt and Dupree with 5.

We are no longer the team with the most penalties (either flags thrown or penalties accepted)! the other teams that are close, or tied all have one more game than us, though.... Looking at all fo the teams with 6 games, we still have a pretty good lead...

We have given up 19 first downs by penalties and gained 16 first downs by our opponents penalties. Overall 14 ore penalties than our opponents for a whopping 130 freakin yards!

This site shows us with just over 5 penalties per 100 plays! That seems to be accepted penalties. Another column shows almost 6 flags per 100 plays. That is less than one difference from 3 other teams.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/index.php?year=2018&view=play

our opponents have just over 4.5 penalties per 100 plays.