• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Penguins 22-23

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't been watching them yet...
But obviously following along...

This seems to be a constant occurrences with this organization not just this year but previous ones also..

When are we allowed to question leadership in the room?..
And I'm not talking the Head Coach..
That's a valid question. Sid plays a very technical game, and is very good at it. But, the culture of the team seems to be to play with no emotion. I just don't like it. I get that he is that way, but the whole team? Bad juju.

I predict that we see a huge shake up before too long. This team is built to be a play off team that can't go far in the play offs.

str8liner

Reaction score
Haven't been watching them yet...
But obviously following along...

This seems to be a constant occurrences with this organization not just this year but previous ones also..

When are we allowed to question leadership in the room?..
And I'm not talking the Head Coach..
I been questioning it for years.....There is something off when they go on these losing streaks and I don't think anything Sullivan says or does seems to make a difference.

They aren't firing him , bringing someone else to kick the team in the *** and winning a cup this time around I am afraid. The talent that was on that 16 team was way better than they have now.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The talent that was on that 16 team was way better than they have now.
In fairness, a lot of those players were young and on entry level contracts. Now, most of them are gone and the team is saddled with a number of bad contracts paid to players way past their prime that leaves them with little room to make any moves.

Carter, Dumo, Letang, Malkin and Rust all need to be moved. It was monumentally stupid to bring back Letang and Malkin on six year deals. Rust has done **** since he signed his new deal. Dumo is a decent 7th dman at this point in his career but not at that number. Carter is just really old and generally unproductive.

Then there is goaltending. DeSmith isn’t NHL caliber. Jarry is pretty good, but they put too much on him and he isn’t Brodeur. They should have addressed it two years ago, but let it fester like they are sometimes wont to do.

Team is a mess. Old, slow, undisciplined and lacking any fire. Sullivan is the right coach, I think, but not with the roster constructed the way it is.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
IDK Sarge. Dumo seems alright to me.

I couldn't agree more on the goalie thing. They really screwed the pooch there. Malkin should have been gone last year. I'm still on the Letang bandwagon. Look how we sucked worse without him. Sid still has it, just to a lesser degree. He is a mere mortal now. Jake has not been himself this year. Carter is well done.

Don't be surprised if thus team looks like the AZ Coyotes for a few years. We have some debt to pay.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
In fairness, a lot of those players were young and on entry level contracts. Now, most of them are gone and the team is saddled with a number of bad contracts paid to players way past their prime that leaves them with little room to make any moves.

Carter, Dumo, Letang, Malkin and Rust all need to be moved. It was monumentally stupid to bring back Letang and Malkin on six year deals. Rust has done **** since he signed his new deal. Dumo is a decent 7th dman at this point in his career but not at that number. Carter is just really old and generally unproductive.

Then there is goaltending. DeSmith isn’t NHL caliber. Jarry is pretty good, but they put too much on him and he isn’t Brodeur. They should have addressed it two years ago, but let it fester like they are sometimes wont to do.

Team is a mess. Old, slow, undisciplined and lacking any fire. Sullivan is the right coach, I think, but not with the roster constructed the way it is.
Exactly. Rutherford left this team in a bind.

This isn’t on Sullivan at all. The guy is working with what he has. It’ll be a tough stretch for awhile. But I credit the guy for producing runs with a slow roster.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
IDK Sarge. Dumo seems alright to me.

I couldn't agree more on the goalie thing. They really screwed the pooch there. Malkin should have been gone last year. I'm still on the Letang bandwagon. Look how we sucked worse without him. Sid still has it, just to a lesser degree. He is a mere mortal now. Jake has not been himself this year. Carter is well done.

Don't be surprised if thus team looks like the AZ Coyotes for a few years. We have some debt to pay.
Rutherford went all in to win back in 2015. The contracts he threw out at the time was a win now. The Pens got back to back cups to show for it. 2018 was mishandled big time going for Brassard. A lot more monetary. If the team rode the win wave they caught back in that season when Sheahan, Reaves and Oleksiak were seemingly gelling with the team on cheap contracts. They would’ve been fine.

Sullivan has been left with very little since. You’re asking a lot out of a coach when the team keeps signing guys like Boyle or Carter who by nhl years are ancient. I don’t think the Pens will go the AZ bottom feeder route. They need to get out of the Carter contract or limit his minutes at least. Crosby, Malkin and Letang are not going anywhere. Throw them under the bus all you want, but getting frustrated over them is not going to change their contracts.

I do think they have one more cup run in them. Sullivan so badly wants to return to his speed game, but he can’t with this roster. Much like 2019. This team has no real identity. They’re not speed, they’re not tough nor powerful. The Pens have always been a good board control team since Crosby. That’s about all they have going for them

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
@Djfan I meant you in a general term btw. Not a you “you” :cool::ninja:
Nothing but love and respect for you, Sir (except for that strange living in ghettoville thing). I never assume a guy like you means anything but the best.

You're a good guy, for a cityboy.

Reactions: MTC

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
DeSmith let's in a backdoor goal yet again

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
DeSmith let's in a backdoor goal yet again
In fairness, Hayton was completely unchallenged at the back door. It’s like the Pens didn’t know he was on the ice.

Steelersreign

Contributor
Reaction score
And just like that Crosbys redirection goal makes it 3-2.
We got a game

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
We really should win this one

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
What a game. I haven't cheered this much for a game in a while.

Kudos to Kotarski

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Getting spanked by the jets 4-1 in the 3rd 7 min left. Win a few lose a few is on repeat.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
This is not good. They are just not a good team. Something needs to happen.