• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Penguins Offseason, free agency, moves around the league, all in one thread!

Spike

Reaction score
Pens FA's - who do we keep?

If MAF goes to LV, Pens have little pressure to move anyone. Over 18 million in Cap room! I keep Hornqvist this coming year

The good news the Pens are in a great position cap wise with Fleury gone We have a glut of forwards and 5 very good defenseman signed and and a starting goaltender who is young and cheap and won 2 Cups.

So much depth that Sprong might have to wait for an injury with the RW's Sheary, Kessel, Hornqvist, and Rust on that side now.

We might have to pay too much for Bonino and Daley to keep them. Re-signing Hainsey might be our cheapest move. Cullen and Kunitz are probably gone.

UFA's would LOVE to come to this team on a discount after the 2 Cups in a row so we might see bargains like Cullen gave us the past 2 years.

Can't find a team in a much better position than the Pens going into the offseason which is high praise for Rutherford.

Last edited:

Spike

Reaction score
Penguins’ Fleury may be Golden Knights-bound after waiving no-trade clause

8715227_web1_ap17163596998004.jpg

The Golden Knights may have found their starting goaltender after Marc-Andre Fleury informed the Pittsburgh Penguins he will waive the no-movement clause in his contract.
Fleury was first approached in February to waive the clause. His decision became official Monday, just hours before the NHL’s 2 p.m. deadline for players to declare whether to waive their no-trade or no-move clauses, according to multiple reports around the league confirmed by the Review-Journal.

Unless Pittsburgh trades him, he will be left unprotected in the June 21 expansion draft since the Penguins will protect Matt Murray as their goaltender. All 30 teams must leave at least one goalie unprotected.

But just because Fleury waived his no-move doesn’t necessarily mean he should be looking for a home in Summerlin. In addition to the possibility of the Penguins trading him before Saturday’s pre-expansion draft deadline (they would have to get a goalie in return to leave unprotected in the expansion draft), the Penguins could work a deal with the Knights not to select Fleury. He would also be eligible to be traded by the Golden Knights if they were to select him.

Fleury, 32, who helped Pittsburgh win its second consecutive Stanley Cup with strong play in the first two rounds of the playoffs, has three championship rings, all with the Penguins (2009, 2016, 2017).

He is a six-time NHL All-Star and in 13 NHL seasons has a career 2.58 goals-against average, a .912 save percentage and 44 shutouts. Fleury’s contract has two years remaining at $5.75 million per year.

One reason he could be chosen by the Golden Knights and remain with the expansion team is his presence and leadership.

While Fleury said yes to a no-move, veteran defenseman Keith Yandle decided to stay put in Florida.

The Miami Herald reported the Panthers did not pursue waiving the clause in Yandle’s contract to expose him to the Golden Knights. Yandle, 30, has six years left on his deal with the Panthers at $6.35 million a year.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...-knights-bound-after-waiving-no-trade-clause/

Spike

Reaction score
What if Fleury is traded before the expansion draft?

It’s possible that Marc-Andre Fleury getting picked in the expansion draft is already a done deal between GMs Jim Rutherford and George McPhee.

If that’s the case, what’s written below is moot. Fleury will be off to Vegas. From the Penguins’ perspective, that’ll be the end of it.

But let’s say Fleury is traded elsewhere. Because according to TSN’s Pierre LeBrun, that scenario remains an option, and a team like the Calgary Flames could be a good fit.

So if Fleury is traded before the expansion draft, what would the Penguins do about protecting their roster from the Golden Knights?

Let’s run it down…

Up front, Pittsburgh is obviously going to protect Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Phil Kessel.

A fourth forward, Bryan Rust, also seems likely to be protected.

(Conor Sheary and Jake Guentzel are exempt, so those two don’t need protection. Nick Bonino, Chris Kunitz, and Matt Cullen are pending UFAs that could re-sign, or not, after the expansion draft.)

As for the defensemen, three seem like sure bets: Kris Letang, Brian Dumoulin, and Justin Schultz.

It’s at this point that the Pens need to make the big decision. Do they protect seven forwards and three defensemen? Or, do they protect eight skaters, regardless of position?

If it’s the first option, they could also protect Patric Hornqvist, Carl Hagelin, and one other forward (maybe Oskar Sundqvist, or perhaps they could add one via trade). However, if they chose this route, then they’d have to expose a defenseman like Olli Maatta.

If it’s the second option, they’d be able to protect Maatta, but they’d have to expose Hagelin, Hornqvist and Sundqvist.

Your answer will probably depend on how you value Maatta. The 22-year-old certainly has his share of critics. He’s had trouble staying healthy. He’s not the quickest skater out there.

That being said, the Penguins just won the Stanley Cup with Maatta playing over 20 minutes per game, and he’s locked in for five more years at a cap hit just north of $4 million. In addition, Trevor Daley and Ron Hainsey are pending UFAS who aren’t getting any younger, and there aren’t many promising young d-men in the system.

Anyway, we’ll find out soon how it all shakes out. The Penguins have their parade tomorrow. The protected lists are expected to be released Sunday.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/06/13/what-if-fleury-is-traded-before-the-expansion-draft/

bmoritz

Reaction score
Protect Hornqvist, and let Maatta go. I'd really like to keep Bonino and Daley, and would prefer to keep Hainsey around as well.

Is Murray exempt?

Reactions: MTC

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I'd leave Sid unprotected. I'm tired of winning Stanley Cups. It's getting "ho hum" now.

On a serious note, I wouldn't worry about the older guys like Hainsey, Cullen, Kunitz and Daley. Doubt they will be picked up. They can't lose Sundqvist. He has a bright future here.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Protect Hornqvist, and let Maatta go. I'd really like to keep Bonino and Daley, and would prefer to keep Hainsey around as well.

Is Murray exempt?

They will cover Murray now that MAF waived his no trade cause. Very very classy on his part.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I can see this roster staying intact pretty much.

Aside from Cullen and Kunitz. I think the Pens will get 1: younger 2: faster 3: more skillfull with a change at those roster spots.
Cullen and Kunitz provided valuable veteran leadership though. Along with Cullen's knack for a short handed goal and impressive face offs. That will be missed.

Kunitz will be missed based on the physicality he brought. He had a great run as a Pen.
Bonino may garner some attention. I think he goes :(

And MAF, do not get me started. It's gonna suck seeing him gone. He was more than a goalie for the Pens. He was a charismatic locker room presence. The small things that championship teams do are what makes the Pens special. MAF was a huge part in those small details.

As for free agents?
Is Marchand available. I think I remember reading he wanted to play with Sid. If so, bring that cheap ******* a look. He can get under opponents skin. A good PP starter.

Other than that. I think GM Rutherford is doing a solid job

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought Marchand got a new deal. Not 100% sure, but I seem to remember reading that or hearing that somewhere.

Spike

Reaction score
If the Sharks are done with him, I'd go get Joe Thornton - if Cullen is done we need another center

FUTURE WITH SHARKS STILL UNCERTAIN FOR THORNTON, MARLEAU

The two veterans are still pending unrestricted free agents in the truest sense, and it’s no certainty that either will return to San Jose.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/future-sharks-still-uncertain-thornton-marleau

NHL’s top 17 UFAs of 2017

Joe Thornton

Slam-dunk Hall of Famer. One of the greatest passers to ever pick up a hockey stick.

Expect a short-term, bonus-laden deal with a full no-move clause at a reasonable rate, perhaps in the $4.5 million range. Another 50-point season and an incredible 43 assists (easily tops in this UFA class)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...p-radulov-hanzal-alzner-oshie-eaves-thornton/

Last edited:

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought Marchand got a new deal. Not 100% sure, but I seem to remember reading that or hearing that somewhere.

Yeah, he signed an 8 year $49 million deal last year.

Reactions: MTC

Spike

Reaction score
Here's your guide to the NHL’s Las Vegas expansion draft

Your handy guide to expansion chaos.

First of all, when is the expansion draft?

There's no formal draft event. There are just some important dates.

Monday, June 12: the last day for teams to ask players with no-movement clauses to waive them.

Friday, June 16: Players have until 5 p.m. to waive their expansion draft protections if they qualify. More on that in a bit.

By 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017, all 30 NHL franchises are required to submit their list of protected players. The entire league will be under a roster freeze. No trades. No waivers. No nothing.

Sunday, June 18: Expansion protected lists are sent out to every team, and the Golden Knights get to interview players they might want to select.

By 10 a.m. ET on June 21, the Golden Knights must submit the list of players it has selected.

On June 21, the NHL will announce those selections at the NHL Awards.

That seems quick.
Sure does.

How many players does Vegas have to pick?

The Golden Knights need to finish the draft with 30 players: 14 forwards, nine defensemen, and three goalies; one player from each franchise. At least 20 of them must be under contract for the 2017-18 season.

How can my favorite team protect players?

The big question. All 30 clubs can only protect nine players. NHL teams get two options for players they want to protect.

Seven forwards, three defensemen, and one goalie. This is referred to as the “7-3-1” strategy.

Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender.

OK, what about those fun rookies I like?

Good news! Any first- or second-year player will be exempt from the expansion draft and won't count toward the protection limits. That goes for any unsigned rookies too.

Phew. So which players are teams required to expose to the draft?

Here's what the NHL says:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/6/...e-rules-protection-lists-vegas-2017-explainer

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
If the Sharks are done with him, I'd go get Joe Thornton - if Cullen is done we need another center

FUTURE WITH SHARKS STILL UNCERTAIN FOR THORNTON, MARLEAU

The two veterans are still pending unrestricted free agents in the truest sense, and it’s no certainty that either will return to San Jose.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/future-sharks-still-uncertain-thornton-marleau

NHL’s top 17 UFAs of 2017

Joe Thornton

Slam-dunk Hall of Famer. One of the greatest passers to ever pick up a hockey stick.

Expect a short-term, bonus-laden deal with a full no-move clause at a reasonable rate, perhaps in the $4.5 million range. Another 50-point season and an incredible 43 assists (easily tops in this UFA class)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...p-radulov-hanzal-alzner-oshie-eaves-thornton/

I'd welcome Jumbo Joe is a jiffy.

He is a big bodied guy. Definitely a grinder. At his age though. The Pens are not afraid to make a big signing if needed

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I don't know how true or credible it is, but Mark Madden stated the Pens are really interested in TJ Oshie. All I can say to that is, get 'er done, Jimmy! He was a pain in the *** in the playoffs, but he brought it every game. If they can pull some moves off like that, I'd be very optimistic for the 2017-18 season. I am excited already and look forward to how the roster shakes up.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
When it was reported Fleury waived his clause, they said he only waived it for Vegas. What happened with that? Did he waive it altogether or just for Vegas?

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I think he waived it for the expansion draft, was reported, he wants to go to Vegas. He should be the first player taken, from what I've heard.

Spike

Reaction score
We only give up 1 player, so if they take Fleury, we move on with an extra $5.75M in our pockets

Seems as close to done deal as you can get

Véronique Larosee, Marc-André Fleury's wife, went to Las Vegas recently (without her husband) to shop homes and schools. This is not a rumor, it is a fact.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
add Cullen and Kunitz contract savings(if they do retire) and they have some cap to work with. Those are three valuable locker room and experience guys they will be losing. Bittersweet.

Spike

Reaction score
I think they should maybe talk to Cullen and squeeze one more year out of him for $1M

meanwhile, just ordered my BacktoBack t-shirt and Championship hat - I'm set for the year

bmoritz

Reaction score
Agreed Spike, Cullen was their best faceoff guy throughout the playoffs.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Looking briefly at the UFA list, I hope the Pens kick the tires on Sam Gagner for a 3rd line center and Michael Del Zotto for defense depth. The Flyers want to go younger on D, and if the Pens will lose Hainsey, MDZ eats up minutes and can move the puck. Gagner made peanuts in Columbus($650K), so if the Pens double his salary to play for the 2xChamps, could be enticing to replace Bonino.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know how true or credible it is, but Mark Madden stated the Pens are really interested in TJ Oshie. All I can say to that is, get 'er done, Jimmy! He was a pain in the *** in the playoffs, but he brought it every game. If they can pull some moves off like that, I'd be very optimistic for the 2017-18 season. I am excited already and look forward to how the roster shakes up.

I'd very much like this signing too. I think he would pair great with Malkin tbh. Malkin is a guy who tries to do too much. Any over correction by Geno and Oshie would more than make up for it. Dream scenario. Are the caps looking to re-negotiate with him though?

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I'd very much like this signing too. I think he would pair great with Malkin tbh. Malkin is a guy who tries to do too much. Any over correction by Geno and Oshie would more than make up for it. Dream scenario. Are the caps looking to re-negotiate with him though?

When he was cleaning out his locker, he said he felt at home in WASH, but there's also reports that his agent or he put it out there the Pens were interested, but is the other way around. We'll see how it unfolds, but he is expected to get a hefty contract wherever he lands.

Spike

Reaction score
The next Murray in the pipeline!

Pens Sign Goalie Filip Gustavsson to a Three-Year Entry-Level Contract

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed prospect goaltender Filip Gustavsson to a three-year, entry-level contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156156621653765&id=13732078764

The Penguins drafted the 19-year-old in the second round (55th overall) in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.

“He has tremendous rebound control and tremendous poise and mental toughness,” Penguins director of amateur scouting Randy Sexton said after last June’s draft, per the Pittsburgh Tribune. “He’s not as tall as Matt (Murray), but they move in a very similar fashion.”

The deal comes with a cap hit of just over $775,000 if he’s in the NHL. He’ll earn $90,000 if he’s sent to the minors.

543015754-e1497620406452.jpg

Last edited: