• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Penn State site's Evaluation of Freiermuth

nitwit248

Reaction score
Freiermuth Scouting Report Video

Interesting and quick watch. Not as homer-y as I was expecting from a Penn State site. The host was really thorough and fair. He's definitely not Gesicki but he's not a blocking sled, either.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think he basically just said he is a good all-around TE and that's what we have been looking for. I disagree with him that he's not a starter. Pat absolutely will be our starter when Ebron is gone. There was only one stud receiving TE and he went in the top 10. Pat was the next guy. He can run routes, he has great hands. he's a big target, he has good speed (not elite speed) and he can block (he can improve here but is good to start). I'm glad that got him as we needed a TE to play alongside Ebron and to take over for Ebron when he is gone after this year. I can see Pat catching about 15-20 balls this year, assuming they use him to run routes and not just sit there and block like they ended up doing to MacDonald.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steelers left some pretty good Tackles on the board for this pick.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers left some pretty good Tackles on the board for this pick.
Just bashing pick after pick huh? Why don't you wait and see how they shake out first twatwaffle.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
This is probably going to be the best pick for us in the long run.... or if the center or tackle pan out they might have more value.... but regardless we were really shallow here and he is a Steelers te type for certain

steelhurt

Reaction score
How can you not be excited about this pick. He’s a solid, well rounded TE. He’s got the size, adequate speed, athletic, good hands, gets open, runs good routes, and runs people over. And did I mention Pat can ******* BLOCK. I love this pick! He’s got Steelers written all over him.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I like what the team has done this draft. I still can’t believe we got Najee. We got two pretty good OL who bring attitude and with coaching will be fine.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
This is my favorite pick of the draft, and the only player I had rated above any C or OT in round 2

steelreeling

Reaction score
So THIS is awwwwwwkward.

Um, HELLO Mr. Najee Harris! now park your *** on the bench like all season long while McFarland and Ballage display some killer long speed in our absolutely brand-spanking NEW outside zone running game in Pittsburgh. What... in the... ****?

Schizophrenia can be debilitating.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
When the pick was made, I was kinda shocked we didnt go C or LT. but man this guy makes sense for us. I am excited to see what type of player he becomes. alot of people are comparing him to Gronk. I would be happy with a Heath type guy

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Jalen Mayfield and Brady Christensen. That's it.

I’d rather have Freiermuth and Dan Moore than one of those guys. Mayfield lasted pretty long because he may have to play G. Steelers needed a LT specifically. Moore is a better prospect for that than either of them.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Freiermuth Scouting Report Video

Interesting and quick watch. Not as homer-y as I was expecting from a Penn State site. The host was really thorough and fair. He's definitely not Gesicki but he's not a blocking sled, either.

I have watched some videos from them before but the other guy is a coach (probably high school) who does more film breakdowns than general commentary like this video. They have lots of vids breaking down the scheme and various players.

They have a great video showing how last year’s defense may have been better than people thought because it was communication issues that led to many big plays. Particularly against Maryland where they gave up long TDs twice on the same damn play. He showed how PSU did adjust and defend those plays properly later.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think he basically just said he is a good all-around TE and that's what we have been looking for. I disagree with him that he's not a starter. Pat absolutely will be our starter when Ebron is gone. There was only one stud receiving TE and he went in the top 10. Pat was the next guy. He can run routes, he has great hands. he's a big target, he has good speed (not elite speed) and he can block (he can improve here but is good to start). I'm glad that got him as we needed a TE to play alongside Ebron and to take over for Ebron when he is gone after this year. I can see Pat catching about 15-20 balls this year, assuming they use him to run routes and not just sit there and block like they ended up doing to MacDonald.
I agree when Macdonald went in it felt like they were tipping run.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Only two. Um, okay. I do like Moore.

LT or C was the pick for round 2.
I was surprised myself, but neither player was a better prospect than Freiermuth. I wanted Humphrey in the second, but understand why they waited for Green.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Just bashing pick after pick huh? Why don't you wait and see how they shake out first twatwaffle.
I won't bash coach for that comment. It's a true statement. With our current usage of TE, and with attempts being split with ebron,. I would have taken the tackle. That said, I'll be pulling for him to be all that he is promised to be

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I won't bash coach for that comment. It's a true statement. With our current usage of TE, and with attempts being split with ebron,. I would have taken the tackle. That said, I'll be pulling for him to be all that he is promised to be
It wasn't a statement based on one comment. It was based off his usual thread to thread dissing. No problem criticizing here and there but that twatwaffle makes a living off it.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
New OC, new offensive line coach ... Can anyone on this board say they know for certain what our "current" usage of TEs is? If so, can you get me season tickets for this year? :cool:
Seriously, none of us knows what Canada has planned for the TE position. We can speculate based on his past stints as an OC at the college level. And, I guess that would be preferable to blindly assuming that he's going to continue the same offensive scheme that got Fichtner fired. But, truth is, we don't know.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
New OC, new offensive line coach ... Can anyone on this board say they know for certain what our "current" usage of TEs is? If so, can you get me season tickets for this year? :cool:
Seriously, none of us knows what Canada has planned for the TE position. We can speculate based on his past stints as an OC at the college level. And, I guess that would be preferable to blindly assuming that he's going to continue the same offensive scheme that got Fichtner fired. But, truth is, we don't know.
I took it as the guy bases his schemes on what talent his has. So as long as Ebron doesn't revert back to a shitload of dropsees, I would think we would see a decent amount of two TE sets. How they are deployed could be a numerous amount of ways. With Harris being pass catch capable this offense has no shortage of pass catching playmakers.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm ok with a new direction, so long long as 3rd and 1 no longer = 5 wide.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm ok with a new direction, so long long as 3rd and 1 no longer = 5 wide.
good thing now is that from a 22 formation you can go to 5 catching targets inmediately, Being a 22 the opposing D can't go with a nickel or dime formation or will be run over