• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens Hockey 2021?

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Wow, really nice game. I have zero things to ***** about. Really smart patient play,no dumb stuff. Just a great 5-1 win. More of this!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Would love to have you there. Every game. I'll be a bit late to Tuesday's game.
I’ll give it a look tonight. I’ll try to stop in when I can. I’ve been spotty here on SN. Been busy at work of late so I’ve been tired

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Things didn't look too good to start the game but the Pens really turned it around. Geno was playing like he is capable of. Great to see him working hard and chipping in on D, great passes and a fantastic goal.
I only have one complaint about him of late - he turns it over a lot, can't seem to pass to our sticks. Still, he's doing well and I love having him on the team

Reactions: MTC

str8liner

Reaction score
At first I thought this was another back to back stinker like we seen the other day but it was nice to see them get it going. They had so many chances it could have been even more of a blowout than it was. Kapanen is really starting to make an impact now and him and Geno seem to click. Sully better not touch that line. And Geno seems to have turned it up a notch since they left the fans come back too I noticed.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
McCann be evaluated for upper body in injury. I DO NOT want to move ZAR back up, that 3rd line is humming. Might see Rodriguez on 2nd line and someone else filling in on 4th? Then again, could see Rust drop down (rolls eyes at Sully) and Rod goes back with Sid and Jake like beginning of season.

On defense, Pettersson needs to be the healthy scratch. Dumo made Turnover Tanger look better immediately! Like Marino and Math on 2nd and Cici has been a pleasant surprise. Any reason why PO was sent back down? Guessing Ruuhwedle/Riikola are getting closer or we are just stuck with Petterson (too many penalties and not moving his feet)

Goal Tending. Has not been great but it has been better and PK and PP have improved. Too much talent not too score more on PP and they need a 2nd pair behind Tavev and Blue, they have been stellar.

Vader

Reaction score
On the PP they need to dump the puck more often. They get caught up high trying to carry the puck across the blue line. NY made a huge mistake last night trying to run with the pens. Especially with Kapanen on the ice. I know the pens aren't as fast as they use to be but they still have enough to fly around. NY should have played a more defensive game after they got the lead. But they didn't. Once the Pens scored you could tell NY was going to try to get up and down the ice. Huge mistake.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
On the PP they need to dump the puck more often. They get caught up high trying to carry the puck across the blue line. NY made a huge mistake last night trying to run with the pens. Especially with Kapanen on the ice. I know the pens aren't as fast as they use to be but they still have enough to fly around. NY should have played a more defensive game after they got the lead. But they didn't. Once the Pens scored you could tell NY was going to try to get up and down the ice. Huge mistake

My biggest worry is the schedule coming up. Lots of games against the Devils and Sabres. They way both of those teams are playing, the Pens should own them. That said, the Pens have had trouble with both of those teams in the last year or two. If they can clean up against those two teams, they should be well within the top 4. The Pens are the only team in the Division that haven't played the Devils or Sabres, so excluding the Rangers, the Pens have been playing playoff teams the whole way. Also on the plus side, the Pens have gone 7-3 in their last 10. Those last 10 have been Washington (3, 1-2), NYI (3, 3-0), Philly (3, 2-1) and NYR (1, 1-0). That's encouraging, to say the least. Another thing, if the Pens could have gotten a couple of those losses to OT, those are extra points. As of right now, they only have one OT loss, so even not losing in OT kinda has hurt to this point.

They are getting better, but they still lack consistency. Too many mistakes defensively, and the PP is still kind of a mess. If they can get the PP straight and get a consistent effort top to bottom, I think they can really make a run at the division. And that's what makes it crazy. Inconsistent has hell and still 7-3 in their last 10.

Vader

Reaction score
I'm not sure they've fixed anything. They are sloppy at times and turn the puck over way too much. I'm also not sold on the goaltending. That was a good game last night but I'm not sure Desmith or Jarry are good enough to win a cup. I'm glad they are playing better but there is a ton of work to do.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure they've fixed anything. They are sloppy at times and turn the puck over way too much. I'm also not sold on the goaltending. That was a good game last night but I'm not sure Desmith or Jarry are good enough to win a cup. I'm glad they are playing better but there is a ton of work to do.
The goaltending is frightening. Some of the **** these cats are getting away with is mind boggling. Better to be lucky than good at times, I guess.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
The biggest problem I have with the goal tending is that we've the crease undefended A LOT. Give a goalie a break.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
I have to agree, too often goalies are hung out to dry with crease presence and screens. Our D is not physical enough to move them out. On the one goal (I forget which game) Letang left his man at the crease to defend and Cici was slow to get over and never touched the screener and Jarry never saw the shot. Don't see a lot of forwards accept for Tavev, Blue or Sid helping out the D either.

The Pens have 16 games of 32 left vs Buffalo and Devils with some still vs Rangers (4 or 5?) and 6 vs Boston. Have to win the games you are expected to win. Still think you are going to see a top 9 forward player traded for, maybe 2 (McCann hurt again and Zucker long term) and a veteran goalie...just my opinion.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't remember the last time the Pens had a DMan or anyone that actually cleared the net. Maybe the 90's cup teams? Jack Johnson kinda sorta did once in a while. Point is, it's not a new problem. If the goalies are bring left hung out to dry, then why did we run Murray out of town? He was a victim of the same bullshit.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't remember the last time the Pens had a DMan or anyone that actually cleared the net. Maybe the 90's cup teams? Jack Johnson kinda sorta did once in a while. Point is, it's not a new problem. If the goalies are bring left hung out to dry, then why did we run Murray out of town? He was a victim of the same bullshit.

Murray was not as resiliant in the net as Jarry under equally crappy terms. It was just that simple. He isn't putting up numbers in Ottawa either, really.

Say what you want to about Jack Johnson, but he always used his body against forechecks. We need more of that. The rumors I hear about the new GM is that he likes a more physical game than we have now. I hope this helps us, and I agree with him.

Vader

Reaction score
Murray was done. Not sure if it was the death of his father or what it was but something changed in him. I knew the year after the 2nd cup win that he was way off. He looked shell shocked. He let in way too many easy goals and almost seem like he was somewhere else mentally. I really liked him personally but something was wrong somewhere in his game.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The rumors I hear about the new GM is that he likes a more physical game than we have now.
Well, then he is going to have to fire Mike Sullivan because Sully likes little shrimps that have no physicality whatsoever.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, then he is going to have to fire Mike Sullivan because Sully likes little shrimps that have no physicality whatsoever.

I have wondered how long Sully will last. the "pass until it's stolen" forecheck strategy we have, and the "don't use the body on the backcheck" one, is coaching after more than two games of it. Hockey hires and fires coaches as fast as coach posts deep football insights. If I am Mario, Sully is on thin ice. He gets a bit of a pass this season because of the short schedule making every game urgent. But, he is not making me say "he makes the best of his talent" every game.

Vader

Reaction score
Looking pretty good against the Rangers... Kap with a goal right before the 2nd intermission. 3-1 Pens!

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking pretty good against the Rangers... Kap with a goal right before the 2nd intermission. 3-1 Pens!

We are really turning into a very, very good team. The defense is back and real. The PK is pretty good. I really have high hopes for this team this year.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
We are really turning into a very, very good team. The defense is back and real. The PK is pretty good. I really have high hopes for this team this year.
As soon as I start thinking they are contenders they get lazy. Hopefully the new management will cure that trend. They do seem to be playing with a lot more grit and focus recently. Let's go Pens!

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Geno leads the team in points in the last 11 games. Glad to see he is waking up.

Vader

Reaction score
They have 0 shots on goal in the 3rd. Sid with a bad penalty and that allowed them 4 seconds of a PP to score. This team can play so well at times and then they just stop.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
They have 0 shots on goal in the 3rd. Sid with a bad penalty and that allowed them 4 seconds of a PP to score. This team can play so well at times and then they just stop.
Yeah. This third period is garbage. Sully needs to knock some heads

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow. What a game. Crosby steps up to seal the deal.

Rusty is under a curse.

Jarry parade is when?????