• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens Hockey 2021?

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Veteran goalie is a must. These two won’t ever be able to steal a game. Gotta score 4 to win with current net minders! Rinne? Don’t think MAF could be had at this point. He is playing well

Hoping to see 58 and 71 moved soon. Really really hoping. If it had to be only 1? See ya turnover tanger; I would deal with the Lazy Russian, can still score when he feels like playing

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

There is an article on Triblive that the Pens have tried twice (unsuccessfully) to re-acquire Flower. I wonder if the assets they wanted in return have anything to do with Rutherford’s resignation. Maybe they wanted Letang or Malkin, JR agreed and management said “heck no.” Who knows? Supposedly Allvin tried to get Flower after JR resigned, so it’s hard to say. Flower is off to a great start and Lehner is struggling a bit so I don’t blame Vegas. Assuming any of the article is true.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Good amount of time in the offensive zone and fast skates sounds encouraging

I felt encouraged. Our younger guys, and many of our second tier guys show a lot of promise. Excited about what this team can be. Defense is still sketchy ( injuryville), and our special teams are garbage. Fix those and we are a force. Don't know if we can get that done in a shortened year.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I felt encouraged. Our younger guys, and many of our second tier guys show a lot of promise. Excited about what this team can be. Defense is still sketchy ( injuryville), and our special teams are garbage. Fix those and we are a force. Don't know if we can get that done in a shortened year.

The few games I got to watch with
Tanev, Jankowski, PO Joseph looking promising.

I’d like to see Poulin make the jump up soon.
Guentzel new A or C in the future.

Maybe a complete rebuild isn’t necessary. Just need some complimentary defense to bring out an aggressive forecheck.

The Pens do show flashes of speed, but try to play a puck possession game.
I think if they do a lot more dumps and chase they’d be a better team

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd trade Geno after that last bullshit play that gave the craps their 3rd goal..******* pissed me off. lazy and careless

Trade him or sit his *** down.
This team is showing flashes of speed and grit.
There are still Letang and Malkin wrenches in our machine. These guys need to seriously contemplate what they want in their career.

Sid is on it today.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Trade him or sit his *** down.
This team is showing flashes of speed and grit.
There are still Letang and Malkin wrenches in our machine. These guys need to seriously contemplate what they want in their career.

Sid is on it today.

Right in front of your own net dicking around. Oh that has to have the folks upstairs hot. If you don't want to be around, say so. **** they pay you a **** ton of money. Play like you're a professional. That really pissed me off watching that.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
And man I wish all of our games ended like that...haha. 6-3 with 2 empty net goals. Only Sid can get highlight empty net goals.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The few games I got to watch with
Tanev, Jankowski, PO Joseph looking promising.

I’d like to see Poulin make the jump up soon.
Guentzel new A or C in the future.

Maybe a complete rebuild isn’t necessary. Just need some complimentary defense to bring out an aggressive forecheck.

The Pens do show flashes of speed, but try to play a puck possession game.
I think if they do a lot more dumps and chase they’d be a better team

Just like I said. Dump & chase.
Simple game.

They did that for the most part and looked good

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Typical Malkin lazy play to give the Craps momentum. Seems like the team is good for one delay of game penalty per game. Letang had time and room and roofed into the seats. Those things will drive a HC, GM and FO up a wall. I know it does me.
Solid win! Ovechkin is not the same player he was a year or two ago. He looks slow and still a one-tricky pony that he sits at the point waiting for his shot.

Rust was a force today. All four lines had a good game overall. Jarry made some good saves. The first goal was not his fault. Weird bounce.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Way to go Pens! Wonder what would have happened if Rusty got a HT. Would hats have dropped from the scoreboard?

**** Covid, let the fans back in.

It has to be the strangest thing ever for professional sports teams to play in front of nobody in the stands. They're all watching on TV. They can't stick those needles in arms fast enough. Hell whenever all of the seniors down here are taken care of,I'll get in line.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Well this game isn't looking too hot. Jarry is making some great saves ,but the caps are just getting too many good shots and they're keeping the pressure on.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Well this game isn't looking too hot. Jarry is making some great saves ,but the caps are just getting too many good shots and they're keeping the pressure on.

I really like both DeSmith and Jarry, but neither one is a number one netminder. We need to get one and fast.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I really like both DeSmith and Jarry, but neither one is a number one netminder. We need to get one and fast.

I agree. Too bad they couldn't have snagged Fleury back. They obviously made a mistake letting him go. Who knew Murray would go in the tank. He was awesome for 2 years, so I guess that's all we needed.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. Too bad they couldn't have snagged Fleury back. They obviously made a mistake letting him go. Who knew Murray would go in the tank. He was awesome for 2 years, so I guess that's all we needed.

Yeah. You win some you lose some. It was the right call at the time.

Vader

Reaction score
The pens as currently constituted aren't going far. All their games look the same. They get down early and then try to fight back. Their PP and PK are not good enough. Goal tending and defense are just horrible at times. Jarry is not a #1 goalie.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Jarry got peppered with 42 shot this evening. Yeah I don't think this team is going very far. I don't even see them making the playoffs this year.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Jarry got peppered with 42 shot this evening. Yeah I don't think this team is going very far. I don't even see them making the playoffs this year.

Remember, we have a gaggle of defensemen on the injured list. Not sure they are the amazing guys we want them to be, but they are our number ones. Our PP and PK has looked better the last two games, and that is against the number one PP team. There is reason to be optimistic.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Remember, we have a gaggle of defensemen on the injured list. Not sure they are the amazing guys we want them to be, but they are our number ones. Our PP and PK has looked better the last two games, and that is against the number one PP team. There is reason to be optimistic.

It always works out better for me being pessimistic. It's my own reverse sports psychology. It worked for our back to back cup wins.

It doesn't do **** for the Steelers. They're stuck in the movie "Groundhog Day"

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
It always works out better for me being pessimistic. It's my own reverse sports psychology. It worked for our back to back cup wins.

It doesn't do **** for the Steelers. They're stuck in the movie "Groundhog Day"

Yep...That's my outlook most of the time anyways. Win some lose most.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The pens as currently constituted aren't going far. All their games look the same. They get down early and then try to fight back. Their PP and PK are not good enough. Goal tending and defense are just horrible at times. Jarry is not a #1 goalie.

Hextall has his work cut out.
I don’t expect drastic changes this season, this roster is under a microscope

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
The Pens had some chances, hit the post a couple times, but the Craps were not losing last night. They were relentless. Too many damn penalties given to the #1 PP in the NHL. Can't do that! Jarry kept them in it for the most part. He faced 42 shots or something like that. The Pens need to become more discipline. They can't afford the sloppy and lazy play.

Vader

Reaction score
The Pens need to become more discipline. They can't afford the sloppy and lazy play.

Same story the past few years. This team has no identity. They will dump and chase at times but they also turn the puck over at inopportune times. They are still looking for the perfect pass for an open net goal. Just shoot the puck, get rebounds, and get someone in front of the net.

I think they are stuck in the middle. They are too talented to lose a lot but not talented enough to win a cup. Malkin and Sid are getting older but still very good players that you can win with if you have the right supporting cast. They are in no-mans land.