• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens Hockey 2021?

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Reported today that Rutherford had a deal in place for a trade a year or so ago. Agreed by all parties awaiting owner approval, nope Vegas owner nixed it, said I am not trading the face of my franchise and especially not back to where he started in Pittsburgh . Then the ******* releases the guy without a phone call? Also heard Pens in talks for MAF. He had trade approval clause and could have retired. Many think was his easiest way back to Burgh
I think he retires

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
He doesn't want to play in CHI because he doesn't want to uproot his family again. He said it's nothing against the city or franchise.

On a side note, damn the Flyers are making moves. Will they workout? Don't know, but they are adding a lot of pieces on their back end.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Pens signed Brock McGinn and Dominic Simon. Lol.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
They also resigned Evan Rodriques. This team is going to hang onto Malkin and Letang to their own detriment. They are basically going with the same team minus Tanev and McCann, adding McGinn and Simon. Another season of regular season excellence and post season mediocrity.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
They also resigned Evan Rodriques. This team is going to hang onto Malkin and Letang to their own detriment. They are basically going with the same team minus Tanev and McCann, adding McGinn and Simon. Another season of regular season excellence and post season mediocrity.
Maybe they'll add playoff grit at the free agent deadline, if they are in the running.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Fleury isn't coming back. Not to a coach that didn't believe in him and a franchise that didn't want him. He's a nice guy, but I doubt he would want to come back.

As far as trading at the deadline, I don't see it. This team needs draft picks, they aren't parting with Letang or Geno, and they aren't going to part with anyone else that could bring any kind of help. Only way I see it is they are so far out of the running they can't get back in it, and even then it's a huge maybe.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Brought back simon
Resigned rodrigo

I’m throwing in the towel. I see no improvement

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
They are making moves. I like that goalie. Let's see what he does in the pros.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
They are making moves. I like that goalie. Let's see what he does in the pros.
Hextall is definitely making moves for the future. With the core aging, I guess I can see why the Pens were in a win now mentality. What we’re seeing is the window closing for them, but a new window opening for the future. I think we’ll be a bunch of no namers turning some heads in a few years.

Poulin, Broz. Hextall did make the flyers competitive after 2017. He did so by rebuilding quietly

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Do you not see restructured contracts like in other sports? I am sure Turnover Tanger and Lazy Russian could take less to get a player as they are not fulfilling their contracts. But, honestly, restructure a few into bonus or upfront monies? Guess that does not happen.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Reaves to the rags. Gonna be fun when the caps and rags play. Especially after the whole end of the season debacle.

I like the Pens being under the radar this season. No expectations, no pressure. As long as 87 can work some puck magic, I like our chances.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Reaves to the rags. Gonna be fun when the caps and rags play. Especially after the whole end of the season debacle.

I like the Pens being under the radar this season. No expectations, no pressure. As long as 87 can work some puck magic, I like our chances.
Chances at what though? A playoff berth or a cup run? I'm not sure they have either in them at this point. Teams in our division have made moves to improve, especially Philly, and the Pens mostly stood pat. You could say they went backwards.. The "big three" have sure come up small the last three playoff years, and they are only getting older. It sucks to say, because they have given so many high quality season to the Pens and fans, but every year you hold on to them, the return diminishes in trade value and on the ice. The book is out. Beat on the Pens and your chances increase greatly. The Pens simply don't have the horses to fight fire with fire to overcome it. There is still time to make moves and fix that, but I'm not sure they'll do much.

Vader

Reaction score
The Pens don't have the goaltending to compete for a cup. When they won their last cup Murray was on top of his game. They shut out Nashville in Nashville in the 6th game. If you don't have a guy between the pipes you aren't going anywhere regardless of who's in front of him. IMHO Jarry is not the answer.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Chances at what though? A playoff berth or a cup run? I'm not sure they have either in them at this point. Teams in our division have made moves to improve, especially Philly, and the Pens mostly stood pat. You could say they went backwards.. The "big three" have sure come up small the last three playoff years, and they are only getting older. It sucks to say, because they have given so many high quality season to the Pens and fans, but every year you hold on to them, the return diminishes in trade value and on the ice. The book is out. Beat on the Pens and your chances increase greatly. The Pens simply don't have the horses to fight fire with fire to overcome it. There is still time to make moves and fix that, but I'm not sure they'll do much.
Eh. I’m not raising expectations high this season. Just gonna enjoy hockey and coming on here chatting with you guys.

I’m excited for the future of the team. Maybe the Pens surprise us. I’ll admit however. Philly made some moves.