• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens hockey 21-22

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't see bringing Geno back unless he takes the same kind of deal and even then, I can see them signing and trading him. The team is trying to ride those three too long. You hate to see anyone go but Sid stays no matter what. The others - aren't a given. If they can sign and trade Geno for some good players or picks at this point in his career, you have to seriously think about it. Keeping the old guys at high salaries and it will be tough to win as we have seen the last few years. We need a top-tier goal tender and D.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't see bringing Geno back unless he takes the same kind of deal and even then, I can see them signing and trading him. The team is trying to ride those three too long. You hate to see anyone go but Sid stays no matter what. The others - aren't a given. If they can sign and trade Geno for some good players or picks at this point in his career, you have to seriously think about it. Keeping the old guys at high salaries and it will be tough to win as we have seen the last few years. We need a top-tier goal tender and D.
I have wondered if he would only take a no-trade deal again.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
At this moment, the NHL has passed the Penguins by. They have an aging, way less productive core that they can't seem to let go of, no proven playoff goaltending to speak of and they just re-signed half of it, and nothing really in the pipeline in WBS. The one or two NHL worthy prospects they do have in WBS can't seem to make the roster because guys like Chad Ruhweidel are taking a regular shift. The Penguins are apparently hanging on to this idea that Crosby, Malkin (maybe) and Letang can bring one more championship. They can't. Not by themselves. The supporting cast is old and/or weak. I think the Pens will be competitive this year, 4th or maybe 5th in the division and a quick playoff exit if they even make it. They have to change in order to compete for championships, and they seemingly refuse to do that. They need to get younger, faster, more skilled and grittier to be competitive in today's NHL. It is going to take some time. No sense clinging to nostalgia for nostalgia's sake.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It's the equivalent of Ben Roethlisberger at the end of his career. Do you keep the guys who got you there beyond their best playing days at salaries that are too high for what they'll be in a year or two or do you go with the business decision and get rid of them a year too early but free up space and try to rebuild for the future?

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I believe we will see Geno is a Craps jersey this season. It makes sense that he plays with Ovie and they will overpay him to go there. Backstrom probably won't be back so need a bump in their O. Thanks Geno. You did great here. Good luck wherever you go.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Re-signing Rackell pretty much sealed his fate. I mean, I guess they COULD bring him back at a reduced rate if he's willing. But I read they offered him 4 years at $24 million, $6 million AAV. I think it is reasonable. He wants more. All I can do is wish him luck.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I saw that deal and they were said to have also offered $21 million over 3 years, which was more than fair. Pretty clear he just wanted to go to free agency. I just have a feeling they'll be overpaying for a less talented No. 2 center in terms of both cash and years.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw that deal and they were said to have also offered $21 million over 3 years, which was more than fair. Pretty clear he just wanted to go to free agency. I just have a feeling they'll be overpaying for a less talented No. 2 center in terms of both cash and years.
Well, I just wonder if his agent hasn't poisoned the well for him. He said he wants to stay in Pittsburgh, he's "already a rich guy." His actions and words do not match. Makes you wonder.

As for who is available, Trocheck looks to be the leader in the #2 center department, but he is not nor will he ever be Malkin. This past season, he had 51 points in 81 games for Carolina. His best season was 75 points in 2017-2018. Would hate to over pay for that. That said, Carolina is trying to re-sign him, so he may not even be an option. I think after Trocheck, the decline in the remaining free agents is precipitous. I guess we will see.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Well, I just wonder if his agent hasn't poisoned the well for him. He said he wants to stay in Pittsburgh, he's "already a rich guy." His actions and words do not match. Makes you wonder.

As for who is available, Trocheck looks to be the leader in the #2 center department, but he is not nor will he ever be Malkin. This past season, he had 51 points in 81 games for Carolina. His best season was 75 points in 2017-2018. Would hate to over pay for that. That said, Carolina is trying to re-sign him, so he may not even be an option. I think after Trocheck, the decline in the remaining free agents is precipitous. I guess we will see.
I agree, it doesn't match up. I think being in Sid's shadow all of this time has him wanting to test FA. It shouldn't be about the money, for him, at this point. He has a few years left. He can still win here, but if he really wants a Cup, then he should look to LA or FL(who are interested). It's not about his brothers or money so it's OK to say it.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure about hockey salaries but I think $6 million per is probably reasonable for Geno at the end of his career. They can still sign other players with how they kept Geno and Letang. Still not sure why they signed Letang for 6 years though. I think they very well could still end up trading Geno or Letang now that they are locked up on reasonable deals.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw something about Geno having a "no move" clause throughout his deal. I am guessing that means the Pens can't trade him. They are going to ride and/or die with Sid, Geno, and Letang.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Just saw something about Geno having a "no move" clause throughout his deal. I am guessing that means the Pens can't trade him. They are going to ride and/or die with Sid, Geno, and Letang.
If this is your core...you better be signing speed and some damn physical guys. If I'm Ron, Geno's contract is focused on incentives to keep him from sleeping through games.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I thought Geno was going to try out free agency. I don't blame him for staying. Three cups an entire career with one team and fans who know his contributions to the team. Going to another team would be like starting over .

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think this signing helps the Pens really, but I understand why they did it. Kind of expected it, even when it looked like there was no chance it would happen. The Pens have a couple holes to fill, so we will see if they are able to improve the team at all. Not sure what is out there.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Sounds like Sid got both sides to talking last night to get it done. The Power of Sid! I was trying to prepare myself seeing Geno in a different uniform next season, but am glad it worked out. He needs to retire a Penguin. Will they win another Cup? Probably not, but like Ben, you have to ride out the Big 3 to the end and enjoy the ride.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
If this is your core...you better be signing speed and some damn physical guys.
Couldn't agree more. They need to reload in the 3rd and 4th lines, and some physical defense.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
I don't think this signing helps the Pens really, but I understand why they did it. Kind of expected it, even when it looked like there was no chance it would happen. The Pens have a couple holes to fill, so we will see if they are able to improve the team at all. Not sure what is out there.
I'd like to see them bring in David Perron and Josh Mason. Mason will give them a physical presence and Perron is an absolute sniper

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They got Geno and Letang and Rust cheap enough that they should be able to bring in some solid additions. They need D and a goalie that can take over games. I'm not sure they have a G in the organization that can do that and be reliable the majority of the time.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Signing Rutta means they gotta move a defenseman or two. They currently have 9 signed to one-way contracts. Looking for Marino, Petterson or maybe even Dumo to get moved. Hopefully whoever they move returns a speedy, gritty forward with decent hands.