• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens hockey 21-22

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score

Not sure if true. But if so, I wouldn’t be surprised if the team went through the motions during the series
If they were going to do that, why not try to move them at the deadline and get something for them? I don't think the Pens should over pay either one of them just for the nostalgia, because all it does is hamstring your effort to improve in other areas.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
If they were going to do that, why not try to move them at the deadline and get something for them? I don't think the Pens should over pay either one of them just for the nostalgia, because all it does is hamstring your effort to improve in other areas.
I think this just shows the new ownership is not afraid to make moves this offseason.

Fans attached to nostalgia will be disappointed. Fans ready to embrace the rebuild, hop aboard. I think this is it and for the better foreseeable future

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I think this just shows the new ownership is not afraid to make moves this offseason.

Fans attached to nostalgia will be disappointed. Fans ready to embrace the rebuild, hop aboard. I think this is it and for the better foreseeable future
the Pens have needs and problems and there are many. Maybe that's why Moorehouse stepped down, he knows the hard decisions and rebuild are coming and the new ownership group will keep the Big 3 on their terms.

Reactions: MTC

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
I'm ready to move on from the old guard. It might mean struggling for a couple years but it seems as if they're in a rut of being just good enough to make the playoffs but not advancing past that. Their roster is evidently not built for what's necessary to win in the playoffs. Too small, too slow, and too old isn't cutting it.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
If they were going to do that, why not try to move them at the deadline and get something for them?
Pretty sure that they have no trade contracts.

This rebuild will shake apples out of the fan base tree. Bring it on. I'm ready to move onto the next batch of winners.

Last edited:

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Got to rebuild. From what I read it was like a 3 year 15 million dollar contracts to Geno&Letang.

All great things come to an end sooner or later in sports. They need to build the next great thing.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
$5 million a season for three years doesn't sound like a "low-ball" offer for Letang or Malkin. Sounds reasonable to me. Both of them are 35 and well on the downslope of their careers. Hockey players aren't as good in their middle to late thirties as they used to be...why pay them like they used to be paid? These guys are both coming off of 8-year contracts where they were making $9.5 and $7.25 mill per year respectively in their primes. What are they realistically worth now at their advanced age? Less. Much less.

Maybe somebody will overpay, but I'm glad that it won't be the Penguins. They'd be better off re-signing Rust at a similar rate if they can.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
$5 million a season for three years doesn't sound like a "low-ball" offer for Letang or Malkin. Sounds reasonable to me. Both of them are 35 and well on the downslope of their careers. Hockey players aren't as good in their middle to late thirties as they used to be...why pay them like they used to be paid? These guys are both coming off of 8-year contracts where they were making $9.5 and $7.25 mill per year respectively in their primes. What are they realistically worth now at their advanced age? Less. Much less.

Maybe somebody will overpay, but I'm glad that it won't be the Penguins. They'd be better off re-signing Rust at a similar rate if they can.
Agreed. I'd prefer they invest in strengthening their D. Might help with losing leads...

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Pens re-sign Bryan Rust. 6 years, AAV $5.125 million.

str8liner

Reaction score

No way is Geno going to get what he was making but I bet someone throws some serious money at Letang.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
No way is Geno going to get what he was making but I bet someone throws some serious money at Letang.
It will be interesting to see what happens if Geno goes to another team and is The Guy. He might be able to get back to being Geno Machino when no longer playing second fiddle. Then again he could continue to show brief flashes of his former self while making boneheaded plays the rest of the time.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
The Habs don't have much cap room, so maybe Letang takes the money and runs somewhere else.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens if Geno goes to another team and is The Guy. He might be able to get back to being Geno Machino when no longer playing second fiddle. Then again he could continue to show brief flashes of his former self while making boneheaded plays the rest of the time.
I almost hope that Malkin gets the chance to be The Guy on another team. I always thought that he was undervalued and overlooked as Sid's 1b. He's always stepped up and played really good hockey on both sides of the puck when Crosby's been out -- you see a lot less of Geno's boneheaded side when he is the top line center. I don't know if he just feels lazy sometimes as the #2, or what.

If he does go, I'll be watching and rooting for his new team as a fan. As long as they're not in the Penguins' division, of course.

Reactions: JMM

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
Il
I almost hope that Malkin gets the chance to be The Guy on another team. I always thought that he was undervalued and overlooked as Sid's 1b. He's always stepped up and played really good hockey on both sides of the puck when Crosby's been out -- you see a lot less of Geno's boneheaded side when he is the top line center. I don't know if he just feels lazy sometimes as the #2, or what.

If he does go, I'll be watching and rooting for his new team as a fan. As long as they're not in the Penguins' division, of course.
I'll be rooting for him so long as he doesn't sign with the Caps. Malkin and Ovie would be too much to stomach.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
He doesn't have a choice. The minute he quits, that team is gonna fold. He gave an interview not long ago, and he seemed almost sad, and basically said that when he retires, the sponsors will all pull out and that is basically it, so that's why he keeps playing. I think he even admitted he was basically embarrassing himself just to keep the team afloat.

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Letang is a Pen for six more years!

Penguins Agree to Terms with Kris Letang on a Six-Year Contract Extension​

by Pittsburgh Penguins @penguins / Media Release
12:32 PM
  • Facebook Share
  • Twitter Share
  • Link Share
  • Email Share
cut.png

The Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms with defenseman Kris Letang on a six-year, $36.6 million contract extension, it was announced today by general manager Ron Hextall.
The contract begins in the 2022-23 season and runs through the 2027-28 campaign and carries an average annual value of $6.1 million.
"Kris epitomizes what it means to be a Pittsburgh Penguin," said Hextall. "The role he plays on our team is irreplaceable, he is a leader in our locker room, and has made countless contributions to the organization over the last 15-plus years, which includes three Stanley Cup Championships. We are thrilled to make him a Penguin for life."
Letang, a three-time Stanley Cup Champion in 2009, '16 and '17, is the most accomplished defenseman in Penguins history, as he owns every single significant team record for a blueliner. Letang tops team annals among defensemen in games played (941), goals (144), assists (506) and points (650), as well as playoff games played (149), playoff goals (23), playoff assists (67) and playoff points (90).
The six-time NHL All Star ranks in the top-10 in Penguins history in games played (3rd), assists (5th), points (5th), power-play points (247, T-5th), overtime goals (8, 5th) and game-winning goals (29, 6th). Only teammates Sidney Crosby (1,108) and Evgeni Malkin (981) have played more games in a Penguins jersey than Letang.
The 6-foot, 201-pound defenseman has been a clutch playoff performer for the Penguins, as he scored the Stanley Cup-clinching goal in Game 6 of the 2016 Stanley Cup Final in San Jose. Only Crosby (180) and Malkin (177) have played more postseason games with Pittsburgh than Letang's 149, while his 23 playoff goals (T-8th), 67 playoff assists (6th) and 90 playoff points (7th) all rank in the top-10 in franchise history. Among all active defensemen, Letang ranks first in career playoff goals (23), third in playoff points (90) and playoff assists (67).
Since entering the league in 2006-07, the 35-year old's 650 points are the third-most among all defensemen. The 2013 Norris Trophy Finalist has hit the 50-point plateau six times in his career, the most among active defensemen (tied), as well as all blueliners in Penguins history.
The Montreal, QC native was drafted by the Penguins in the third round (62nd overall) of the 2005 NHL Draft. His 650 points are the most by any player chosen in the third round or later in his draft class.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like it is going to be Sid, Jake, Rust, Letang, Geno (maybe) and a bunch of aged under achieving nobodies again. That formula has worked well the last several years.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Those 3 Stanley Cups obviously have gone a long way. I wouldn't be shocked if they resigned Geno as well.