• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

PFF Mock Draft: Steelers Trade to #9

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With time still winding in the 2021 NFL Super Bowl the idea of Mock Drafts were turning in many writers minds. Who is their team going to draft, what need will they fill, and how will they do it? The Pittsburgh Steelers have several holes, and several different ways to go about filling them. One of those ways will be the 2022 NFL Draft where they currently have the 20th overall selection in the first round.

Now one way to address their hole at quarterback is to draft one. And in the latest PFF mock draft they have the Steelers trading up to the 9th overall pick to draft Liberty’s Malik Willis. Willis is believed to be the Steelers top choice on their draft boards, and PFF believes they’ll need to go up 11 spots to get him.

HERES WHAT THEY SAID

9. PITTSBURGH STEELERS (VIA DEN): QB MALIK WILLIS, LIBERTY

The big move of the draft.

The Steelers made their interest in Willis no secret at the Senior Bowl. He is immediately a Tier 1 rushing threat at quarterback and has all the tools needed to develop at the position. The Liberty signal-caller racked up an insane 11.0% big-time throw rate this past season.

Now PFF didn’t specify on what exactly the Steelers would have to give up to move up 11 spots, but we can look back at the 2019 NFL Draft when the Steelers moved up to pick 10 to select Devin Bush. To move up ten sports the Steelers had to give Denver their 2019 first and second round picks, and their 2020 third round pick. The Broncos would slide back to pick 20 and select tight end Noah Fant.

You can see their full mock draft here.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Dang, Trade draft capital and yet get not so good QB. Are the ravens that much in coach tomlin's head ???

Salute the nation

bkwheat28

Reaction score
Say it with me: NO QBs IN THIS YEARS DRAFT WORTH IT WITH HOLES WE NEED TO FILL!!!!!!! Damn it man! Fix the lines and worry about QB later. A qb is a sexy pick and a ploy to make excuses for next few years to us fans. So with that being said, expect it!

steelhurt

Reaction score
No no no no no no no no hell no hell no hell no.
This would be a horrible move to give up premium picks when we need them badly to fill holes to draft this guy. He’s a major project and we don’t exactly have a great reputation for developing young players. I would never trust Tomlin to develop Willis. This guy is extremely raw and may never be anything more than a guy who runs first. I saw that in the senior bowl. Got panicky, and started taking off. Guy can’t read the defense and see the field, can he learn? Who knows. I don’t want Kordell II.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
:frusty:

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
It’s just talking head draft hyping of QBs, there will be tons of clickbait and ridiculous mocks

Don’t see us moving up to 9…they would have to crush free agency in a weak free agent market to turn around and trade draft capital to move up in a weak QB class…and we have a dude with really cool shades calling the strategy as the other guy is one foot out the door. What could go wrong?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
You think that one is bad, check out this one on nfl.com.

Willis and Pickett gone, we trade UP to get...wait for it, HOWELL 😂😂😂

I think I'd prob just give up on the season right then and there if this were to happen.

JP1977

Reaction score
This team personifies stupid anymore under Tomlin.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Good grief if they moved up that far I'd take the best OL /DL guy available. My dream pick is Davis. Build the damn lines. Stop half assing it. C,OT,NT. Any of those will do fine. Think of it as a 2 season project. Maybe more.

I've pretty much given up any thought of a qb in this draft. While no qb is a sure thing in any draft, this year has no real high probability % pick of being that potential superstar franchise guy needed. Certainly nothing you would give up anything for.

Being just a hair better than .500 every year and then getting curb stomped in a long string of playoff games isn't much fun.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
You think that one is bad, check out this one on nfl.com.

Willis and Pickett gone, we trade UP to get...wait for it, HOWELL 😂😂😂

I think I'd prob just give up on the season right then and there if this were to happen.
You might want to give up the season if the dynamic duo on the roster is the only options. One might think of that as insanity.

In the rumor circles it links Willis and Howell to the Steelers. If they were enamoured I could see a move like that that would make me and many cringe. We know they have a history of falling in love with certain players predraft. Knowing QBs run early would it be a shock if they reached? I hope not, many hope not. I just don't know what approach this team will take. On a year so clouded with mystery it won't surprise me to see the mocks overall mock glaring at the unknown. Free agency will probably give us a more accurate take on what is approaching come the draft. Cross your fingers, toes, legs, arms, eyes... yeah.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
You might want to give up the season if the dynamic duo on the roster is the only options. One might think of that as insanity.

In the rumor circles it links Willis and Howell to the Steelers. If they were enamoured I could see a move like that that would make me and many cringe. We know they have a history of falling in love with certain players predraft. Knowing QBs run early would it be a shock if they reached? I hope not, many hope not. I just don't know what approach this team will take. On a year so clouded with mystery it won't surprise me to see the mocks overall mock glaring at the unknown. Free agency will probably give us a more accurate take on what is approaching come the draft. Cross your fingers, toes, legs, arms, eyes... yeah.
I have yet to see a mock or any type of ranking, that has Howell going in the first round. I see more upside in Mason and Haskins than Willis and Howell. Mason and Haskins at least have NFL experience and know our offense.

And a huge trade up this year, is only going to help whoever we trade with. Because of we start any of the QB's in this draft, we'll be drafting pretty high next year...well the other team with our pick will

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
And yet it’s really not all that hard to see it happening. Personally, I would be more surprised if the Steelers didn’t do something that stupid.
I'm with you Sarge. At this point I see the Steeler's ineptitude as entertainment. If they trade up and draft a backup QB at 9 I'm going to laugh so damn hard I'll puke my beer out of both nostrils.

Steelers1356

Reaction score
If they don't trade their pick for a veteran QB, Denver's using their # 9 pick to draft a QB. Which means we won't be getting the pick, assuming the Steelers even have any interest in it. Poor analysis here by PFF for not realizing Denver itself also needs a QB.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
If they don't trade their pick for a veteran QB, Denver's using their # 9 pick to draft a QB. Which means we won't be getting the pick, assuming the Steelers even have any interest in it. Poor analysis here by PFF for not realizing Denver itself also needs a QB.
Broncos needed a QB last year too. They passed on Fields in favor of Surtain.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Den gonna trade for Rodgers is the rumor I keep hearing

And the Steelers trading up in desperate attempt for a questionable QB

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
If he had those stats against NCAA Division 3 teams imagine what he could do against NFL defenses???? I wanna puke. Taking Willis will make the Troy Edwards selection look great.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
And their next pick earlier than the third round would be in 2024…

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score

tenor.gif
tumblr_lpf2yqtp8n1qbzzkv.gif