• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Photos of Najee Harris and Dan Moore arriving in Pittsburgh

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Bringing some power football back to the Burgh!

I heard back in the day long ago not many liked playing the Steelers. I think it was something about getting black &blue and beat up.

Just rumors I think. They may have some film of some of those teams and players in a vault someplace.

Someone should ask Troy Polamalu and Donnie Shell about those teams, if they existed.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
I heard back in the day long ago not many liked playing the Steelers. I think it was something about getting black &blue and beat up.

Just rumors I think. They may have some film of some of those teams and players in a vault someplace.

Someone should ask Troy Polamalu and Donnie Shell about those teams, if they existed.
Oh they existed.... watch some film of great defensive teams.... like the Steelers and 85 Bears .... guys put their hearts into it and gang tackled..... I am not for **** after the whistle but I can't stand when I see guys let up on a play because they think someone else has position to make the tackle, then they are trailing the play and if required to assist they are tackling from behind and helping forward progress of the runner when they bring them down. Lambert and Mike Singletary were on a mission each down.
Great players are always around the ball carrier. On the Offensive side I like to see good passing plays but I love to see a team that can run over the other team in the 4th quarter and demoralize the opponent. Nothing makes me happier than seeing an opponent bent over gasping to catch their breath.

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

OH it's true allright................. example of the 50s

I'm an HVAC & Plumbing contractor, around 1997 I did a house for Robert Long. He played on the 50s Detroit lions championship teams. Him and I visited often and yes about football. He told me that as a Rookie his team dreaded playing the Pittsburgh Steelers and he wondered why as they weren't that good of team. His team mates said you'll see. He said he came out of that game beat to **** and black and blue all over. He also said that happened everytime they played the PITTSBURGH STEELERS, they were the most physical team in the league.

This wasn't just in the 50s it was pretty much always and all years, including the 70s as many here well know.

With this coaching staff we have currently we have "LOST" that physicality and I hardly expect to see it return within the next 3 years

Salute the nation

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
With this coaching staff we have currently we have "LOST" that physicality and I hardly expect to see it return within the next 3 years

Uhm, don't agree with this at all. The lack of toughness has come from two things. I think our D is still as tough as any in the league, the rule changes, personal fouls, roughing flags, the fines et al has tempered players' will to knock the snot out of people. On offense, that lack of toughness gradually came over the past few seasons as the O-line got long in the tooth and the we turned into a finesse, pass pro offense under Fichtner, with Ben throwing 40-50 times a game. Pouncey, Villeneuva, Feiler even DeCastro seemed to play softer, lighter on their feet. That series last season where we couldn't punch it in from the goal line will haunt me forever.

None of that has to do with coaching, or the front office. I think with this latest reincarnation of the O-line and the addition of Najee Harris, we'll be seeing the tide turn again. And I think our D will remain as tough as any, moving forward.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
If Goodell could have gotten away with it he would have implemented the gender reassignment surgery rule starting with James Harrison and Hines Ward. He targeted the Steelers as an example of how not to play the game.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
OH it's true allright................. example of the 50s

I'm an HVAC & Plumbing contractor, around 1997 I did a house for Robert Long. He played on the 50s Detroit lions championship teams. Him and I visited often and yes about football. He told me that as a Rookie his team dreaded playing the Pittsburgh Steelers and he wondered why as they weren't that good of team. His team mates said you'll see. He said he came out of that game beat to **** and black and blue all over. He also said that happened everytime they played the PITTSBURGH STEELERS, they were the most physical team in the league.

This wasn't just in the 50s it was pretty much always and all years, including the 70s as many here well know.

Salute the nation

I said all of that in jest of course. It was a worry of mine some years back when we moved away from that staple of Pittsburgh Steeler Football. It turned into a bunch of arm tackling shoulder hip bumps and finesse on offense.

You have to bring the wood all the time every time. I don't even want to hear about the rules. Guys like Jack Lambert tackled with perfect form, and wasn't head hunting like it eventually turned into during the 90's.

Swarming gang tackles hitting as hard as you can with extreme violence inside of the rules. It can be done still today.

I love seeing other teams tap out late in the game. You're essentially pounding them on both sides of the ball into submission.

That brand of football is a winner and I enjoy it regardless if they win or lose.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
That brand of football is a winner and I enjoy it regardless if they win or lose.

Great post, agree 100%.

The great thing about tough, hard-nosed football, is that it's contagious. One big hit, one thunderous gang tackle, one pancake block, one rag-doll sack and it fires the whole team up. Following which, players tend to mirror that toughness in all three phases.

Great to see the Steelers bringing in a bunch of rookies who seem to cherish this approach, on both sides of the ball.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I said all of that in jest of course. It was a worry of mine some years back when we moved away from that staple of Pittsburgh Steeler Football. It turned into a bunch of arm tackling shoulder hip bumps and finesse on offense.

You have to bring the wood all the time every time. I don't even want to hear about the rules. Guys like Jack Lambert tackled with perfect form, and wasn't head hunting like it eventually turned into during the 90's.

Swarming gang tackles hitting as hard as you can with extreme violence inside of the rules. It can be done still today.

I love seeing other teams tap out late in the game. You're essentially pounding them on both sides of the ball into submission.

That is exactly what I am referring to, PITTSBURGH played an uncanny hardness. Always have and within the rules. Harrison was made an example of more so due to the STEELERS voting unanimously against the commissioner as opposed to his play. I bring in the current coaching staff because this is when the arm tackling / high lite reel started to matter most. OUR team isn't nearly a s physical as it could be due to technique in tackling / coverage / etc and coaching has that responsibility as well as the players.

Your text book tackling is the prime example of our coaching lacking in that respect. RULES changes are the same for everyone but we are considered a soft team until we prove otherwise.

As Tibs points out our change in direction of offensive stratagy will definately help in our "strong arm toughness" and I can't wait to see both players and coaching elevate to that degree.

Salute the nation

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Guys .........thanks for all the great point of views..... I think we all cherrish the memory of plays like Bettis running over Brian Urlacher or Troy P. jumping over the top of the Line with reckless abandon, sacrificing his body or the McDonald stiff arm ..... Agree with Tibs that hardnosed plays are infectious ...... Steelr4evr ... brand of winning football is accepted win or lose .....agree as long as you lay it on the line for 60 minutes we can live with the result ......... Drink .... agree we don't carry that same reputation we once had but it starts somewhere with the right guys and I am hoping this draft class brings that umphhhhhhh back with it..

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Guys .........thanks for all the great point of views..... I think we all cherrish the memory of plays like Bettis running over Brian Urlacher or Troy P. jumping over the top of the Line with reckless abandon, sacrificing his body or the McDonald stiff arm ..... Agree with Tibs that hardnosed plays are infectious ...... Steelr4evr ... brand of winning football is accepted win or lose .....agree as long as you lay it on the line for 60 minutes we can live with the result ......... Drink .... agree we don't carry that same reputation we once had but it starts somewhere with the right guys and I am hoping this draft class brings that umphhhhhhh back with it..

Our long-ship makes it so we can stretch across borders to be on the same boat....... !!!!

Salute the nation