• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2019

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
It looks like they're really gearing up to contend this upcoming season by essentially salary dumping Ivan Nova.

Seriously, why even bother trading for Archer when you're going to follow it up with **** like this?

Buster

Reaction score
At his age and salary, I can’t really blame them. Hope they put the $ to good use, but we will see.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Nova was 9-9 last year with an ERA north of 4. They spent a lot of money for that kind of mediocrity. They can be mediocre for less.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Nova sucks.

Pirates close to signing Jordan Lyles from MIL. Also talk is they're gonna go after Troy Tulowitzki

Tulowitzki is owed $38 million over the final two years of his six-year, $118-million contract. However, the Blue Jays would be responsible for paying all but the minimum salary of $555,000 if he signed with another team.

Buster

Reaction score
I like Cervelli, but at his age, if we can get a decent return, deal him.

Buster

Reaction score
Tull is a huge health risk, but if you are right regarding his price tag, take a shot.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Nova is a dependable starter when healthy. If the Pirates are aiming to contend in 2019, as they claimed when they traded for Archer, they'll need as much starting pitching as possible.

I suppose if they use the savings toward adding a bat, it could be a good move, but does anyone really trust the Pirates to do that?

Tulowitzki would be a high priced boom/bust risk, which is exactly why the Pirates will not do it. It's not in Bob Nutting's DNA to risk a lot of dead money, even if it is for just one year.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Did you see the article in the PG about the Pirates open the the idea of using the "opener" as Tampa Bay tried? Interesting concept if you have the right personnel and I think it's a potentially good way for a team spending less money to compete with a team stacked with starters like the Astros. Of course, you need to bring in the right pieces.

I'm not particularly encouraged with the Nova trade because, although expensive, he is a guy who can secure a bottom of the rotation spot. I'm also not confident the Pirates are going to reallocate that money elsewhere to provide an actual upgrade.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Did you see the article in the PG about the Pirates open the the idea of using the "opener" as Tampa Bay tried? Interesting concept if you have the right personnel and I think it's a potentially good way for a team spending less money to compete with a team stacked with starters like the Astros. Of course, you need to bring in the right pieces.

I'm not particularly encouraged with the Nova trade because, although expensive, he is a guy who can secure a bottom of the rotation spot. I'm also not confident the Pirates are going to reallocate that money elsewhere to provide an actual upgrade.

I think the opener concept can be the way to go in a given season if the structure of a pitching staff dictates it, with a bullpen being much deeper and better than a rotation, but I'm not sure how viable it is as long term strategy.

To me, consistently having someone who can go 5+ innings into a game provides more stability over the long run, as those type guys tend be more consistent performers over periods of time, as opposed to the 1-2 inning guys whose performance can vary greatly from year to year.

It's also worth pointing out that the Rays went out and signed Charlie Morton, so they might not be as sold on the opener idea long term themselves.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Nova was wildly mediocre. No issue with dealing him at all. As was said, I wouldn't have a problem with them dealing Cervelli too if someone offered a good package. He has been pretty injury prone since he's been here and has a recurring concussion problem.

Tommy8Maddox

Reaction score
Word on the street was Pirates were looking at Troy Tulowitzki?

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Trading mediocre would be fine, if Pirates had better than mediocre waiting in the wings. Having less than mediocre as replacement isn't a positive.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Trading mediocre would be fine, if Pirates had better than mediocre waiting in the wings. Having less than mediocre as replacement isn't a positive.

Their pitching staff will be better this year. With Archer being here a full season and with the addition of Mitch Keller at some point in the season, they will be stronger than last year top to bottom.

Buster

Reaction score
I’m excited to see what this season brings. On paper, there is not a lot more than in the past 2 years, but if the young rotation is solid, there is hope. Melky and Chisenhall are not guys who make you a contender, but you need guys like that on a team of young guys. Keys for me...can Kang get back to the bat from a few years ago? If so, I would give him a shot to be the everyday SS. Can Bell take that next step to anchor the lineup? Is Frazier and every day guy?
Starting to get the itch. Opening day is not far away.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
There are some scenarios where they can be a 90+ win team, but pretty much everything will have to go right.

Basically everyone in the division tried to get better while the Pirates subtracted payroll.

They'll most likely finish fourth or last, though I would love to be surprise.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
They are basically banking on Williams being as good as last year and Taillon, Archer and Musgrove improving. They could go the starter opener route, if
nobody locks down the 5th starter role. Liriano is someone that is very good the first time thru the order.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
They are basically banking on Williams being as good as last year and Taillon, Archer and Musgrove improving. They could go the starter opener route, if
nobody locks down the 5th starter role. Liriano is someone that is very good the first time thru the order.

It's not like they could have used the depth Nova provided or anything.

At least they've put those savings from trading him to good use.

I wonder in which stock Nutting invested it.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Agreed that a tough division doesn’t make things any easier.

It's a brutal division, with three teams expected to contend for the World Series. Even the Reds have made aggressive moves to improve themselves

The Pirates try to compete in the most passive aggressive way imaginable.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Their 5th starter is looking like a problem in spring training so far. Looks like nobody wants the job.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Their 5th starter is looking like a problem in spring training so far. Looks like nobody wants the job.

At least they put that money from the Nova trade to good use.

Also, Cole Tucker should be the opening day shortstop, but we will probably not see him until summer 2020.

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
In other big MLB news, Mike Trout signed a 12 year $430 million dollar contract with the CA Angels.
Does Me'Veon and A Brown know about this?