• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2019

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Apparently they asked him if he wanted to coach the game and announce it later. Clint did seem to be part of the problem, he does make odd in-game moves.
I think the right person will get improvement from this group of players. My vote would go to Jay Bell as the replacement. I liked the way he played the game and
I think he would bring that attitude as manager. Still will need to spend some money on some arms.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Will need a closer for sure. FV is goin' away for a loooong time.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Word on sports radio is that Jeff Bannister is the leading candidate. Heard today that former Pirates John Wehner and Jason Kendall have asked to be considered although neither has managerial experience. Speaking of, I'm thinking of sending Huntington and Coonelly my resume. My cover letter will say that your team is going to suck no matter who runs it and I will do it for the bargain price of only $1 million a year.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Kendall was a hell of a player in his day. Wish he was around about 10 years earlier or 10 years later.

Wehner was Bill Cowher's clone. Seemed to always get a clutch hit or make a great play when the game was on the line. I'd take either of them. Couldn't be any worse than Lloyd McClendon. I don't think he had any managerial experience.

steelermania

Reaction score
Kendall was a hell of a player in his day. Wish he was around about 10 years earlier or 10 years later.

Wehner was Bill Cowher's clone. Seemed to always get a clutch hit or make a great play when the game was on the line. I'd take either of them. Couldn't be any worse than Lloyd McClendon. I don't think he had any managerial experience.

I'm not going to bash Lloyd. Danny Murtaugh couldn't have won with the slop he had to work with. You might remember that Yankee fans groaned when the team hired Joe Torre. "Horrible hire" they said. What a bum! Amazing how much better Joe became when he had material to work with. Go hire the best guy you can get. Looking for a local guy, or one with ties to the Pirates is dumb. Watching Tampa Bay, I'm reminded of all the folks who always want the Bucs to trade their prospects at the trade deadline. You better get it right. Horrible trade, and at a horrible time. If you make a trade like this in 2015, and it blows up in your face, I can live with it. You had a team capable of winning it all, and you took a shot. You don't make this trade trying to finish above .500 like in 2018. That team was never going to bring home the bacon. Teams like the Pirates are going to live and die with what they bring up from the farm. You have to be very careful to get great value if you trade any of these guys away. Dumb trade!

Good luck to Clint Hurdle going forward. He didn't get it done in the postseason, but at least we became relevant for a while under his leadership. I'd compare Clint to Marvin Lewis. Lewis gets bashed here, but burdened by the worst owner in sports (even worse than Nutting), he produced winning teams in a place where all had failed since Paul Brown died. Bengal fans are going to look back on the Lewis era with fondness when the 4-12 seasons become the norm again. Hope that doesn't happen with the Bucs.

Last edited:

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Final nail in Pirate season, Glasnow faces Cole tomorrow night in ALCS semi. At least we once had 3 of the best starters in this years American League playoffs.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
New President with a new GM and manager on the way? The entire organization needs restructured from top to bottom. I don't think this is going to change what Nutting invests into the team, but I do hope the new front office can recognize they need to do things more like the Rays than what they've been doing. Embrace short windows with very good talent before trading them and starting over.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the new GM? I don't follow this aspect of baseball closely enough, but hopefully he knows how to work with the financial and ownership limitations of the Pirates.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
in so many words Nutting said, "he wished they had more money to spend" fielding a better team. Same story, same farm team in a MLB park. Will not spend to be competitive, so they want to use Money Ball to shine a piece of **** into a diamond. Good luck! Fans are being duped. . . AGAIN!

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the new GM? I don't follow this aspect of baseball closely enough, but hopefully he knows how to work with the financial and ownership limitations of the Pirates.

Beyond being a high-level executive with a World Series-winning team, I really do not know much about him, though his resume seems legit.

I'm not sure if he can do better given the infamous penny-pinching of Bob Nutting, but Huntington definitely had to go. The Archer trade was a complete disaster, and it may get worse, as Shane Baz is looking like a potential Ace in the Rays' system.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I still can't get over it. The Rays flat out robbed the Pirates. Glasnow, Meadows and Baz for Archer. That may very well go down as the most lopsided trade in major American sports history.