• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2019

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
After all these injuries, 2.5 games out of first place at the break.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Thought starting pitching had to be stellar at beginning of the year to have a chance. Now hitting .271 as a team, 3rd best in all of baseball.
If rotation comes thru in second half, who knows where this team could end up.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Pirates were one game under .500 at the break and came out and got swept by the Cubs. They now sit 5.5 games out first place. Are we still considering them contenders or they go into the trade deadline as sellers? I'm not sure if they were true contenders in the first place.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
****.The.Bed.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Trade Cervelli and Polanco for some pitching .... a middle reliever .... maybe another Volquez or Happ ..... a journeyman that can give us some innings.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Expecting the Bucs to sell. Nightmare will go to the highest bidder. Season over.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
They will probably get hot again, get within a couple games then **** the bed again. Seems to be their pattern

Buster

Reaction score
Wore the 79 black on black throwbacks last night. Best of all the 79 combinations.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Puck the firates

Reactions: JMM

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Even when they sucked for years after the 92 playoff collapse, I continued to follow them but with each year of futility, the interest would wane a little more. When Cutch and crew helped make them competitive again, that brought back my enthusiasm for the team and I'd check the scores each day, watch them on TV when I could. However the last few years have shown the Cutch years of success were likely a mistake in their business plan so now I check to see how they are doing in the standings about once a month but that's about it. The only name I still know off the top of my head is Marte. Guessing Cervelli is still with the team but I don't know. :)

Last edited:

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
I've been following the Pirates all year. Love the team, hate the owner.

We've gone to a few games this year and honestly they can be fun to watch. Nice to see Reynolds fighting for the Batting title. The ship has passed again this year. I'm going to one more game. August 17th the Pirates play the Cubs and The Steelers play preseason game two. Might as well make a day of it.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
The usual story for the Pirates. Look like a credible threat in the division for a little over half the season them **** the bed for final 3 months finishing far back. It's getting very old. I think Huntington's days are numbered. His drafting the past several years has been very good. The problem is that he hasn't gone out and gotten quality depth on the roster. As soon as the injuries start coming, especially to the pitchers. they are screwed.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
After last night's loss, the Bucs are 4-20 since the all-star break. That is pathetic.

str8liner

Reaction score
After last night's loss, the Bucs are 4-20 since the all-star break. That is pathetic.

I won't follow them with any seriousness until they fire some people and get a new direction.

I do turn it on just to watch them choke away leads since they do that with amazing consistency nowadays. Pretty sad.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Wore the 79 black on black throwbacks last night. Best of all the 79 combinations.

Instead of throwback uniforms, maybe they should try throwing back to when the Pirates actually played winning baseball consistently.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know, but maybe the mayor of Pittsburgh, other elected officials, and fans should sign a petition and send it to the MLB commish asking for him to remove Nothing as the owner. The city is payin' for the stadium and Nothing, with the $ he saves, does nothing with it. Always missing a piece or 2 - won't spend $ for those pieces. 30 MLB teams and Nothing is the 17th richest (as of last year). He was then worth 1.1 Bil. The Dickerson trade should have been disallowed .. .300 hitter with a gold glove for PTBNL and a couple of bucks. WTH? As much as I despise Cuban, he would spend some coin on this team and get some players that are needed as well as a competent manager. Hurdle needs to go. His act has gotten waaaaay old.

I know this will never happen and nothing is going to change - just wishful thinking.

I have lived long enough to see the 11 year WS drought between 1960 and 1971, and the 8 years between 71 and 79. I have now witnessed the longest WS drought in Pirate history. 40 freakin' years and growing!! Don't think I'll ever see another Pirate world championship team. Just sad to see.

Last edited:

cloudtown/Steelers

Reaction score
Austin Meadows trade was a trade that benefited only TB. I can't get into the Pirates!!! Really gonna suck without Blass! The Mariners are playing 3 games at PNC. The whole series will draw less than 40k,

Sent from my SM-T113 using Steeler Nation mobile app

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Meadows up to 28 Hrs. Funny thing about the Pirates is that if you told me at the beginning of the year, they would have
2 rookies in the top ten in batting average and Bell would hit 40+ Hrs and have 120 + rbis, I would have guaranteed they
would have made the playoffs.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Pirates fired Clint Hurdle but are keeping Neal Huntington.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
True. But I still feel a little better knowing Clint is gone.

in all seriousness, does it really matter who manages this minor league team? They have no big names, payroll is a joke. Hurdle was not perfect, far from of it and probably needed to be relieved awhile ago, but this is a sacrificial lamb firing.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
True. But I still feel a little better knowing Clint is gone.

Kinda chickenshit to do it right before the last game but it's what you expect from this organization.