• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2021

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Im not much of a baseball fan. Id rather watch just about any other sport on tv. Going to a game is alright, but at this point you go to see the star players on the other teams. Without owners willing to spend some $$ this team will continue to stink. I wouldn't be surprised if the pirates get relocated.

str8liner

Reaction score
I know I rip on the Pirates a lot. My son and I used to make 2-3 trips a year to watch the Pirates at PNC Park. Neither of us care to go anymore. We want to see them win. For the money people spend on them, it’s not too much to ask. There is no effort to build a winner. Until the Pirates organization feels the pain of no revenue due to lack of interest, nothing is going to change.

Its just sad....I remember the pain of Sid Bream in the NLCS back in 92, And Jim Leyland crying because he knew it was over. Little did we know it was REALLY over. Like forever over. I just basically gave up even checking the score. Then we had to suffer through mediocrity for years till the McCutchen era was born. Then we got head faked into thinking they were actually going to try to win and be competitive. Would have rather skipped that part altogether because that just rubbed salt in old wounds....

Reactions: JMM

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Its just sad....I remember the pain of Sid Bream in the NLCS back in 92, And Jim Leyland crying because he knew it was over. Little did we know it was REALLY over. Like forever over. I just basically gave up even checking the score. Then we had to suffer through mediocrity for years till the McCutchen era was born. Then we got head faked into thinking they were actually going to try to win and be competitive. Would have rather skipped that part altogether because that just rubbed salt in old wounds....
Leyland definitely wore his emotions on his sleeve. He was one of my all time favorite managers/coaches in Pittsburgh sports since I have been following them.

PNC would be one hell of a venue to host a World Series. Hope it happens before it and Heinz starts to cave in and they have to build a multi-purpose stadium next door to Heinz where that 3 River Stadium place used to stand. ;)

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I looked up the Pirates' results/schedule on ESPN the other day, and there were tickets available for a regular season game against the Cubs at PNC park for $4.

Sounds about right.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
If you think the ridiculous play from a couple weeks ago was bad....I present

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
If you think the ridiculous play from a couple weeks ago was bad....I present

Yeah.

Touching first base might be the most fundamental thing in baseball.

I'll give Hayes a pass on it, though. He's going to be an amazing player.

It will be interesting to see if they can build a contending team around him for a few years like they did with Bonds and McCutchen.

As with Bonds and McCutchen, you know Hayes is going to be gone eventually.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Yeah.

Touching first base might be the most fundamental thing in baseball.

I'll give Hayes a pass on it, though. He's going to be an amazing player.

It will be interesting to see if they can build a contending team around him for a few years like they did with Bonds and McCutchen.

As with Bonds and McCutchen, you know Hayes is going to be gone eventually.
A good start will be taking Rocker in the draft. I'm not sold on Leiter...watched him give up another bomb Saturday against East Carolina even though they won. The Bucs will probably pass on both lol.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
A good start will be taking Rocker in the draft. I'm not sold on Leiter...watched him give up another bomb Saturday against East Carolina even though they won. The Bucs will probably pass on both lol.
The word is they're looking at position players.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't know if I've watched a Pirate game all year, but I am excited for the draft tonight. Bucs have the top pick who should be ready in about 3-4 years when the team could possibly be interesting again.

Buster

Reaction score
Not sure they got the best value. Then again, I don’t evaluate baseball talent for a living.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I mean the kid might be ok...but they could of traded that 1 overall and banked multiple picks and still got this kid late first early second!

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
He's kind of a high floor, low ceiling type.

There really was no clear number one prospect this year, which is just the Pirates luck.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Davis was in a group of 4-5 players in contention for the No. 1 pick so it isn't like they took someone who wasn't deserving. It felt from reading scouting reports one of the top HS SS prospects would've been a better investment and maybe more of a splash. As long as the Pirates got a very good player, I really don't care who they took.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
News Flash: The Pirates DID NOT draft a pitcher in the first round this year and instead took an every day player who can maybe hit balls over fences. Not your same old Buccos! (I still will never watch on TV or attend a game as long as the Nuttings own the team.)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I mean the kid might be ok...but they could of traded that 1 overall and banked multiple picks and still got this kid late first early second!
Incorrect. MLB does not allow teams to trade draft picks. Which is one of many things wrong with MLB.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Pirates draft was praised on ESPN, top 4 picks were in their top 50 players. If they can sign those 4, this might be a draft to remember.

swal75

Reaction score
Any and all. No trading draft picks.
It's literally the dumbest rule and it hurts small market teams a ton. Like ideally when you trade a Josh Bell or etc, you'd love to get back picks and prospects, but instead all you can do is take back prospects And there's also some rule where guys have to have been on the other team for a certain amount of time(like a year after the draft). I guess you can trade competitive balance picks, but those aren't very high picks(after first and 2nd rounds).

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Why is Frazier batting 9th in this AS game?? Wouldn't you want him leading off to set the table? You know, 115 hits, .330 ave. That guy?

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Pirates draft was praised on ESPN, top 4 picks were in their top 50 players. If they can sign those 4, this might be a draft to remember.
Unfortunately, 2 of the top 4 have committed to play college football at major D-1 schools, doubt either of them sign