• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2021

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I also read that Cherington personally met with White, so I think he probably feels good about him signing as well.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Frazier is a pretty good player. Not sure why you don't try to build around those kind of guys.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah.. they had Frazier, Reynolds, Newman and Hayes to build around. Brubaker and Kuhl and some other pitchers have potential. Nutting is a cheap bastid. Didn't the city pay for that stadium in turn they'd get a pro baseball team. The city should sue.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Their #1 prospect Gonzalez is a 2nd baseman. They also have Rojas who came up from AA and hit 3 HRS in bigs playing 2nd base. Pirates want a 2nd baseman that will be with Reynolds and Hayes in 2 to 3 years when they might contend.

They have signed their top 4 draft picks from the recent draft, so they seem to be headed in right direction. Could start 2022 with #1 farm system in all of baseball.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Their #1 prospect Gonzalez is a 2nd baseman. They also have Rojas who came up from AA and hit 3 HRS in bigs playing 2nd base. Pirates want a 2nd baseman that will be with Reynolds and Hayes in 2 to 3 years when they might contend.
What, in the Pirates illustrious recent history, leads you to believe they will contend in 2-3 years? They seem to be acquiring pieces, and I'd love to see them do it, but a couple of wild card appearances 5-6 years ago doesn't really inspire confidence when you consider it was the early 90's since they've been "contenders."

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
I think they will contend in 2-3 years because they are close to having the #1 farm system and their AA team and A+ team are rated to be among the most talented teams in all of the MILB.

Pirates are also signing Braylon Bishop their #14 pick who was rated in the top 100 draft prospects. They talked him out of his Arkansas scholarship that he accepted when he was 15.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
I think they will contend in 2-3 years because they are close to having the #1 farm system and their AA team and A+ team are rated to be among the most talented teams in all of the MILB.

Pirates are also signing Braylon Bishop their #14 pick who was rated in the top 100 draft prospects. They talked him out of his Arkansas scholarship that he accepted when he was 15.
I appreciate your outlook, and I hope you are right but I think the Pirates are essentially a farm club for other MLB teams. They are always selling off talent for that next run and are continually "just a few pieces away from a good run". Rinse, repeat. It's too bad..

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They should just join the International League....and be done with it...

probably boost their attendance actually....might have a winning team and something for the fans to hang their "pill-box" Bucco hat on..

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Henry Davis has gotten off to a great start in A ball.

It's an extremely small sample size, but it's a start.

Also, Nick Gonzalez has performed really well in his first full season.

Roansy Contreras, a pitcher they received in the Taillon trade, has been great in Altoona.

Oneil Cruz is really starting to develop as well. He could become a legit 40+ HR guy.

As we saw with Bell and Polanco and with the current struggles of Hayes and Keller, there are no guarantees with prospects, but developing them is really the only chance they have.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Polanco placed on outright waivers.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully they gave Polanco a one way bus ticket outta town and told him to never come back.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Hopefully they gave Polanco a one way bus ticket outta town and told him to never come back.
One of the biggest disappointments in recent Pirate memory.....and when you are talking about the Pirates....that's saying something. I'm sure he'll go somewhere else and hit 35 dingers next year. Then again, former Pirate pitchers tend to do great for other teams. Former Pirate hitters, not real impressive after they leave for the most part.

Buster

Reaction score
One of the biggest disappointments in recent Pirate memory.....and when you are talking about the Pirates....that's saying something. I'm sure he'll go somewhere else and hit 35 dingers next year. Then again, former Pirate pitchers tend to do great for other teams. Former Pirate hitters, not real impressive after they leave for the most part.
I know your comment is tongue in cheek, but I think you have to chalk this up to a bust here or elsewhere. Sorry to say that…seems like a good guy.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I know your comment is tongue in cheek, but I think you have to chalk this up to a bust here or elsewhere. Sorry to say that…seems like a good guy.
It was somewhat tongue in cheek, but Geritt Cole and Tyler Glasnow were pretty mediocre until they left. Overnight super stars.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Polanco showed flashes of being good until he hurt his shoulder in 2018, after that, nothing.

swal75

Reaction score
He's a disappointing development case for sure. Looked like the type of guy that would easily hit 30 homers a season and he was fairly efficient at stealing bases. But over time he just didn't develop. I'm sure our coaching approach didn't help at all. He's probably done for good, but there's a possibility he'll fully recover and something will click in his head. After all, he's only 29 years old still. But it's unlikely this will be another Bautista situation.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
He's a disappointing development case for sure. Looked like the type of guy that would easily hit 30 homers a season and he was fairly efficient at stealing bases. But over time he just didn't develop. I'm sure our coaching approach didn't help at all. He's probably done for good, but there's a possibility he'll fully recover and something will click in his head. After all, he's only 29 years old still. But it's unlikely this will be another Bautista situation.
He'll probably go to the AL, become a DH, and hit 30 homers next season.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
It was somewhat tongue in cheek, but Geritt Cole and Tyler Glasnow were pretty mediocre until they left. Overnight super stars.

Cole was one of the better pitchers in baseball with the Pirates. He won 19 games one year.

He just didn't completely realize his potential until he left.

Glasnow was terrible, but it was a weird situation in his last season with the Pirates where they refused to let him start, despite injuries and bad play from other pitchers, but kept him in the majors in the bullpen where they seldom used him.

It's almost like they made up their minds going into 2018 that they were going to trade him and did not want to risk an injury until they did. They only seemed to bring him out in lower pressure situations to show the arm off.

Who knows how he would have done if they had given him another chance at starting.

With that being said, he's had a hard time staying healthy with the Rays. He's maybe been the best pitcher in MLB when healthy, though.

Funny thing is that Glasnow might not end up being the best pitcher lost in the Archer trade. Shane Baz had become the Rays' top pitching prospect and is tearing up the minors.

That trade was just so bad.