• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Plan to improve draft picks for teams that hire minority candidates

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Here is a Goodell useless nod to affirmative action. I am against affirmative action and it would really suck if the NFL started that crap, so I am relieved that at least this plan shouldn't affect anything.

Under the proposal, which is aimed at fixing diversity issues across the league, a team could upgrade its third-round draft selection by up to 16 picks if a minority candidate is hired. The draft pick could go up 10 spots for hiring a minority general manager or an equivalent-level position and six spots for hiring a minority candidate as head coach.

And..

If the plan is approved, teams also could move up five spots in the fourth round should a minority general manager or head coach enter the third year on the job. If a minority quarterbacks coach is retained after one season, the club would receive a fourth-round compensatory pick.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL...vizing-minority-coach-GM-hires/4051589594189/

I don't think a team would make those decisions based on moving up a few slots in the third or fourth round. I'm sure those decisions will be made on merit just like always. The only thing this would accomplish is give some people a false reason to hate a minority selection, and taint the qualifications of the minority hire.

Good job Goodell. If it passes, this weak gesture won't accomplish anything but piss off all involved and it won't change anything.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like it, the opportunities are there for any qualified individual. No need to race agenda it along. It should be who is driven to succeed not what color you are.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

xjx

Reaction score
Most player rosters are >80% black. Let's give preferential draft treatment to teams that have more white players. Extra picks for teams that have pakistani players. Extra first round picks for teams with Asian players.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
something like this was probably needed back in the 50s and 60s but would never have been considered. it is only considered when not needed.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I would hope this will get voted down by 90% but owners might be scared to vote it down because they'll be labeled the R word. Idiotic idea and quite frankly it's very demeaning to minorities.

xjx

Reaction score
Guaranteed first pick of the first round of every draft for the team that hires a female Chinese head coach !

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just like the tuna commercial........"SORRY Charlie",..... Or Um should I say Rog..........

Color of skin should never be an answer to anything but the action of the hiree is everything.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
When I first saw this proposal I thought it was from a parody twitter account or a website like The Onion.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
If anything it may HINDER an assistant obtaining a shot at a Coord job. You think Belichick or Jerry for that matter would grab an assistant off another team, a division rival, and give them an extra 3rd or 4th? Nope.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure who wrote the rule suggestion, but it has ZERO chance of passing. To enact draft benefits is a slippery slope, especially when NE names 2 minority assistant head coaches next season...

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
so will someone hire marvin lewis as a DC or GM asa DC he would be good he doesnt have enough verbal control to be a HC

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
It will be interesting to observe the sports media reaction to this proposal. It should be questioned is Roger subliminally or blatantly admitting that there are some owners that still need a subtle arm twist to hire an otherwise qualified candidate who is a person of color.
I'm also guessing that some individuals who meet the criteria of this proposal could be wondering if they were actually hired because of their qualifications or something else.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Well it should be retroactive. We could get an extra 3 third round picks next draft for Tomlin’s 10 year tenure.

I can’t believe no one on here has said.....oh great another reason not to fire Mike!

And to think,someone actually gets paid to think up this bullshit.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
wow .............

yeah lets come up with a scale to rate minorities value while they are at it ..,,,,,,,,, who wants to be a token minority...... any person of substance would appreciate an opportunity.....but one would hope that they would want to obtain a hiring based on merit and qualifications related to actual football content

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
So if a team had a minority coach, who sometimes seems a bit retarded, does that team always get the number 1pick?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So if a team had a minority coach, who sometimes seems a bit retarded, does that team always get the number 1pick?

I could see "certain" teams hiring JUST for the benefit of the draft pick movement, then firing and wash / rinse / repeat..........

Salute the nation

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure who wrote the rule suggestion, but it has ZERO chance of passing. To enact draft benefits is a slippery slope, especially when NE names 2 minority assistant head coaches next season...

So basically this is being done as a feel good moment, (look we are doing something), all the while knowing it won't pass, but covering their *** in the process.

And here I thought politics only existed in Washington.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
wow .............

yeah lets come up with a scale to rate minorities value while they are at it ..,,,,,,,,, who wants to be a token minority...... any person of substance would appreciate an opportunity.....but one would hope that they would want to obtain a hiring based on merit and qualifications related to actual football content

that's what I would think if I'm a minority HC hire. Was I hired for the token pick and extra spots in the draft or was I the best candidate? This seems to be partly due Eric Bieniemy getting looked over. His time will come and he has to be on the short list of hot candidates for 2021. I don't think there should be an incentive for a hire. Seems cheap and insulting.