• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Post Ben Mock - a different take

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In most mocks, I've taken Penning, tackle from N Iowa.

In this, I changed it up...

No trades

20. Malik Willis, QB, Liberty
52. Derion Kendrick, CB, Georgia
84. Jalen Wydermyer, TE, Texas A&M
129. Channing Tindall, LB, Georgia
175. Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA
187. Brian Robinson, RB, Alabama

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, not addressing the D-line or the O-line, our 2 biggest needs. Interesting.

Yeah, I share that concern. I wanted the Steelers to take a future QB in last year's draft, one very deep in QB talent. This year's QB pool is ****. I don't see a single guy that interests me long-term.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I would put focus on OL, and ILB. Fix the OL before you throw a rookie QB to the wolves. We have seen time and time again with the Browns what happens when you draft a QB and put them in a bad situation. The Steelers need to set their next QB up for success, not expect him to be able to salvage the offense.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting. I do think they may draft DL/OL in the first round. I just don’t see Tomlin drafting a rookie in the first round- heck, you’d never know anymore. I see Tomlin trading for a Veteran QB or signing a veteran to compete with Rudy and Haskins

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
like i said, this was a different take, as I've been taking an OT in other mocks.
i figure we could add a guy or two via FA - primarily at Center - Bozeman from Baltimore or Martin from Vegas? Move some guys around... Moore is our LT, whether we as fans embrace him or not. LeGlue has shown he can be the LG. Move Dot over to RG. So we'd need a RT, but have Haeg and Banner. If we had a decent OL coach, these guys might be serviceable.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
here's another post-Ben mock, but with a big ugly drafted in the first...
as for DL, consider that Heyward, Alualu, Tuitt are all under contract.

Your score is: 49124 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 30 (T.B.): Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa (A)
Round 2 Pick 20: Carson Strong, QB, Nevada (A)
Round 2 Pick 30 (T.B.): Tariq Castro-Fields, CB, Penn State (A)
Round 3 Pick 20: George Pickens, WR, Georgia (A+)
Round 3 Pick 30 (T.B.): Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): Henry To'o To'o, ILB/OLB, Alabama (A+)
Round 5 Pick 35 (COMP): Jaxson Kirkland, OT, Washington (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4: Nolan Smith, DE/OLB, Georgia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Sevyn Banks, CB, Ohio State (A+)

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just thinking of solidifying the DL and OL this year since it all starts there. Move forward with Rudolph, Haskins and another vet FA that can come in and compete with them. Look to fill whatever holes we can now. I doubt we finish above .500 with Rudolph. Look to get a QB in the next draft or even the one after. Both are said to be better than this draft for QB's but who knows. Build the team and then insert your franchise QB unless one luckily falls in your lap this year.

TheDudeAbides

Reformed Lurker
Reaction score
We have to get stronger up the middle and faster on the outside. We need big eaters who can move and a WR and a CB. I think we also need a RB who is a change of pace and can give Harris a breather. This is a tall order that we won't fix entirely through one draft.

I did this draft a few times; no matter how I did it the top guy in the first was Penning every time. We need that natural LT who can be an anchor for years while giving the flexibility of moving Moore or Chuks inside. No WR or QB in this one.

20. Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa
52. Phidarian Mathis, DL, Alabama
84. Chad Muma, ILB, Wyoming
129. James Empey, IOL, BYU
157. Tariq Castro-Fields, CB, Penn State
187. Pierre Strong, RB, South Dakota State

Pollardo40

Reaction score
here's another post-Ben mock, but with a big ugly drafted in the first...
as for DL, consider that Heyward, Alualu, Tuitt are all under contract.

That’s exactly what I think, but I seem to be in the minority. I don’t see a DL drafted high. Sure the group is aging, but do we really think the group won’t be back, or if it’s our biggest priority if they are back? Tuitt is an argument I’ve seen, but I think everyone is back.

Tuitt, AluAlu, Heyward, wormley, loudermilk are all back next year.
Do we really think any of them will be cut? Most are high on Adams and want him back. Where does he fit in?

That is my reasoning, that no DL will be drafted high. It just doesn’t fit in where the other needs really are after first glance..

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
1.20 - Kenyon Green, OL, Texas A&M
This seems to be the top available OL in every mock draft I've done for the Steelers. Has guard/tackle versatility. Great size and is said to move very well.

2.52 - Devonte Wyatt, IDL, Georgia
Massive lineman who can play multiple positions along the DL.

3.84 - Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson
There are some injury red flags, but I'm willing to take the risk. The Steelers need a big time playmaker at receiver and Ross has the upside as a future No. 1.

FordFairLane

Reaction score

No trades

I hope beyond hope we don’t go QB round one. If we trade out of the first I could live with a QB that dropped in the second. Especially if we can get a 2022 2nd, 3rd, and get a 5th back. Maybe try to get a day two 2023 as well.

I think CB is a way bigger need than people realize. Haden slowed up and I couldn’t bring back for more than 3 or so million. Witherspoon was a good fine and should be a priority but he didn’t do it an entire season. Sutton is smart but doesn’t have the athleticism. So getting a true #1 CB is a big need.

I’m not sure we take a TE at all. Freiermuth and Gentry look like a decent combo and Rader looked good in preseason. Maybe a late pick if we get very good value.

Tindall would be an interesting pick. I’d be ok with more pressure on Bush as he has been mediocre at best this year.

Woolen is an intriguing player. Not sure we go two CB’s before one linemen.

I like Robinson but would feel bad he’d sit behind Harris again. And again we need OL bad.

Here’s my post #7 mock.

Trade #20 to Cincinnati for #25, #57, & #153.
Trade #25 to Green Bay for #32, #96, & #160.
Trade #32 to NYJ for #38 & #102.
(I know that’s a lot of trading but according to the trade chart value was there)

RD2(38)- Kenny Pickett QB Pitt
If we trade and get a ton of picks then get a QB like Pickett in round two I’ll be fine with going QB. Gets us opportunities to draft players around whoever is our QB. Also, doesn’t mean we have to start any of them because of draft or contract or whatever. QB competition and best man wins. Pickett is a one year wonder but he really blew up this year. He’s prettt

RD2(52)- Phidarian Mathis DL Alabama
Our run defense was down right awful. Tuitt and Alualu might not be back and Heyward isn’t getting any younger. Mathis really came on in the pass rush department this year but he’s always been a solid stack and shed run defender.

RD2(57)- Kyler Gordon CB Washington
Gordon might be the most physically talented player in the draft. Projected to run 4.3, with 40+ inch vert and you can see it on film. That said he’s no slouch with his football IQ. He knows his assignment and rarely gets beat.

RD3(84)- Arnold Ebiketie Edge Penn State
Quick twitch athlete that fires off the LOS. Usually wins with speed but also has long arms which allows him to use power as well. Probably could use a few counter moves but he should compliment TJ and Highsmith well.

RD3(96)- Rasheed Walker LT Penn State
Wait pretty long to go OL but I feel we won’t just give up on Moore, Green and Dotson. Walker imo should easily beat Moore out at LT but I also feel Moore might be better suited for guard or RT. Walker has A+ athleticism and can mirror the best pass rushers. He’s more positional at run blocking but can take care of his assignment.

RD4(102)- Tre Turner WR Virginia Tech
I don’t know if Washington or JuJu come back so WR will be a need. Turner has great hands and adjustments to poorly thrown balls. Rarely getting hit in stride you constantly see Turner snatching over or under thrown balls out of the air. 6’ but plays like he’s 6-7 with his catch radius. Not the fastest but fast enough and needs a more developed route tree.

RD5(153)- Dohnovan West OC Arizona State
JC actually played surprisingly well. I think giving him competition is a good thing so getting a physically gifted center like this should hell steel sharpen steel. West moves well and can pull if needed.

RD5(160)- Tyler Vrabel OL Boston College
I feel he’d make an awesome RT with his fiery attitude and brute strength. He though can also kick inside to guard if needed. He has obvious NFL bloodlines and is a true student of the game.

RD6(172)- Micah McFadden ILB Indiana
More of a blitzing or run stuffing ILB but has shown ability to drop in zone and take away throwing lanes. His money will be made getting after the QB though.

RD(196)- Daniel Bellinger TE San Diego St
Regularly regarded as the best blocking TE in college Bellinger is no slouch receiving. He is a lot like Gentry in that sense where his bread and butter is going to be blocking but when they do send him on a route he will use his size to get position and move the chains.

RD(212)- Isaiah Pola-Moa S USC
I think having Troy’s nephew as a Steeler is only fitting. Bigger than TP but not as fast. Same violent hitter though.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

No trades

BIG change up as I don't see any OL. Front office best be heavy in FA OL and i' talking top tier on one for sure.

Thanks Supe

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I would put focus on OL, and ILB. Fix the OL before you throw a rookie QB to the wolves. We have seen time and time again with the Browns what happens when you draft a QB and put them in a bad situation. The Steelers need to set their next QB up for success, not expect him to be able to salvage the offense.

What The ****,......... Franchise QBs are a dime a dozen....................... The mentality of the FO & HC just baffles me at times, it's like they set BEN up to fail.

Salute the nation

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score

No trades

Looks like a MTC draft

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
If we get a true high level C in FA he could anchor the line, cut your loses with Green who obviously klemm vetted for and go with leglue,
And Dotson a G, Moore as T and draft a top T in the draft to complete the line.

Then you have JCH as backup C, Green as backup C/G and Banner as backup T. Let chuks walk if he doesn't stay for backup money

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steelers can do much better than Leglue.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, here me out on this draft. Yes, I get it, I dealt a ton of later 2022 picks for high-end 2023 picks while still adding talent at needed positions:

28. Trevor Penning OT Northern Iowa
47. Chad Muma ILB Wyoming
52. Kyler Gordon CB Washington
145. Jarrett Patterson C Notre Dame

A true LT, an upgrade to ILB'er, a very good CB prospect and a guy who can actually play C and is big enough to hold his ground rather than be shoved backwards.

"What about all the later picks?"

I dealt the #20 for the #26 and then the #26 for the #28. Also gave up the Steelers 4th rounder in 2023, but in return I get ...

Detroit's 2023 2nd round
NYJets 2023 3rd round
Atlanta's 2023 3rd round

The team gets four starting candidates instead of more Buddy Johnson and Pressley Harvin. It also has massive draft capital for 2023 that it can use to move up and get the QB the team needs.

In the interim and for the short term, I remain on the Trubisky bandwagon. He is mobile, good passer, strong arm, used to playing in nasty weather.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, here me out on this draft. Yes, I get it, I dealt a ton of later 2022 picks for high-end 2023 picks while still adding talent at needed positions:

A true LT, an upgrade to ILB'er, a very good CB prospect and a guy who can actually play C and is big enough to hold his ground rather than be shoved backwards.

I dealt the #20 for the #26 and then the #26 for the #28. Also gave up the Steelers 4th rounder in 2023, but in return I get ...

Detroit's 2023 2nd round
NYJets 2023 3rd round
Atlanta's 2023 3rd round

The team gets four starting candidates instead of more Buddy Johnson and Pressley Harvin. It also has massive draft capital for 2023 that it can use to move up and get the QB the team needs.

In the interim and for the short term, I remain on the Trubisky bandwagon. He is mobile, good passer, strong arm, used to playing in nasty weather.

ya know...i don't hate this mock. i rather like it, in fact. particularly when you factor in trubisky, who i'd much rather have as a bridge to the next franchise qb over ****** *** mason.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Detroit's 2023 2nd round
NYJets 2023 3rd round
Atlanta's 2023 3rd round

I like your PRO-action for 2023 instead of our FO / HC waiting till 2023 RE-action.

Never seems to amaze me as to how much of a surprise some of these decisions these coaches wait to make.

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
this is more rational ...

Your score is: 50171 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 20: DeMarvin Leal, DT, Texas A&M (B+)
Round 2 Pick 24 (ARI): Darian Kinnard, OG/OT, Kentucky (A+)
Round 3 Pick 20: Marcus Jones, CB, Houston (A+)
Round 3 Pick 24 (ARI): Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): Darrian Beavers, ILB/OLB, Cincinnati (A+)
Round 5 Pick 35 (COMP): Jaxson Kirkland, OT, Washington (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4: Mekhi Garner, CB, Louisiana (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Lucas Krull, TE, Pittsburgh (A+)

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I used first-pick.com.

Made an early trade:

Your score is: 49134 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 23 (L.V.): Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia (A-)
Round 2 Pick 20: Christian Harris, ILB/OLB, Alabama (A-)
Round 3 Pick 20: Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 23 (L.V.): Luke Goedeke, OG, Central Michigan (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): Henry To'o To'o, ILB/OLB, Alabama (A+)
Round 5 Pick 35 (COMP): Brenton Cox, DE/OLB, Florida (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4: Danny Gray, WR, SMU (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Damarion Williams, CB, Houston (A+)

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
No trades...

Your score is: 48133 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 20: Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan (B+)
Round 2 Pick 20: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty (A+)
Round 3 Pick 20: Sean Rhyan, OG/OT, UCLA (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): James Cook, RB, Georgia (A+)
Round 5 Pick 35 (COMP): Brenton Cox, DE/OLB, Florida (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4: D.J. Dale, DT, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Quay Walker, ILB/OLB, Georgia (A+)