• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Post Ben Mock - a different take

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No trades...

Your score is: 48133 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 20: Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan (B+)
Round 2 Pick 20: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty (A+)
Round 3 Pick 20: Sean Rhyan, OG/OT, UCLA (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): James Cook, RB, Georgia (A+)
Round 5 Pick 35 (COMP): Brenton Cox, DE/OLB, Florida (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4: D.J. Dale, DT, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Quay Walker, ILB/OLB, Georgia (A+)

Don't know anything about Quay Walker, any chance he sticks the 53 ? PS ?

Salute the nation

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Got a little crazy here:

Your score is: 50733 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:

Round 2 Pick 1 (JAX): Malik Willis, QB, Liberty (A-)
Round 2 Pick 23 (L.V.): Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (A+)
Round 3 Pick 1 (JAX): Max Mitchell, OT, Louisiana (A)
Round 3 Pick 6 (JAX): Jordan Battle, FS/SS, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 20: Tyler Davis, DT, Clemson (A)
Round 3 Pick 23 (L.V.): Henry To'o To'o, ILB/OLB, Alabama (A)
Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): Alec Lindstrom, C/OG, Boston College (A+)
Round 6 Pick 1 (JAX): Quay Walker, ILB/OLB, Georgia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 1 (JAX): Sevyn Banks, CB, Ohio State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4: Cameron Latu, TE, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Kennedy Brooks, RB, Oklahoma (A+)

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't know anything about Quay Walker, any chance he sticks the 53 ? PS ?

Salute the nation
That's MTC's fella - I'll defer to him but he seems the same size as TJ when he came out. I'd move him to OLB (still have nightmares about the last OLB we drafted from Georgia)...

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I just don't want any QB this year. I would rather roll with Rudolph this year then roll tide with Young next year with a fixed Oline

You and I both brother and we need our draft capital, especialy the early rounds.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That's MTC's fella - I'll defer to him but he seems the same size as TJ when he came out. I'd move him to OLB (still have nightmares about the last OLB we drafted from Georgia)...

Thanks berm

Yoiiikkkeeesss !!! But I hear what you are saying.

I' a little different and think Rudolf, if healthy will take us to 5-8 wins and one tie.

Salute the nation

ianv2012

Reaction score
Been a long time since I've posted, but I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in

Your score is: 52641 (GRADE: A+)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 20: Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State (A+)

Didn't need to move down or do anything other than the normal Tomlin sprinting to the podium, one of the top OTs dropped right into my lap, yes please

Round 2 Pick 26 (BUF): Jalyn Armour-Davis, CB, Alabama (A+)

Was hoping for a talented ILB or DT to be here, but they'd been taken, and the others I like can wait. So I decided to trade back six spots and get an extra pick with several options on the table. I take a very talented CB who I'm surprised to see at this pick still even after I traded back, but I'm happy as this should help to strengthen that secondary that has struggled and now losing Haden (who doesn't have it anymore)

Still no ILB or DL I'm interested in taking at the value, so I continue to bulk up the Offensive trenches. I love this pick as this guy is an OT (could be a swing T) or most likely can be a starting G, either way I'm excited about the future of my OLine group

Round 4 Pick 26 (BUF): Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson (A+)

At some point in the draft we will draft a WR, even in seasons when it didn't look like we needed one, we'd take one. This season we will need to add some receiving threats, whether it's a route runner to take some pressure off Johnson, or a deep threat to open up Claypool. Ross is a very talented WR who will come in and compete immediately, and in the 4th Rd I believe I found unbelievable value with his skill set.

Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): Darrian Beavers, ILB/OLB, Cincinnati (A+)

Finally found the value at ILB with who was available, almost took Beavers with the first 4th rounder, but he's still here at our comp pick which is awesome. Darrian isn't going to wow in anyone one area, he's a very good and smart player who has played well in all areas of the ILB position.

Round 5 Pick 37 (IND): Brenton Cox, DE/OLB, Florida (A+)

Need pass rushing depth, and this guy has alot to like, most likely won't even get to the 5th round, but I felt he was the BPA at a position that desperately needs more depth

Round 6 Pick 36 (IND): PJ Mustipher, DT, Penn State (A+)

Loves the addition of Adams, and I feel he can be the starting NT, but it's possible we'll still need depth on the DL. Depends on Tuitt and Alualu, but the run D suffered tremendously from lack of depth in the defensive trenches.

Round 7 Pick 4: Quay Walker, ILB/OLB, Georgia (A+)

Can't have enough competition at this position, most sports writers are completely overlooking this position as a NEED. This is an ILB that group that was entirely underwhelming, and downright costing at times, give me as much competition as possible.

I'm not sure I'm fully invested in Snell and McFarland as guys who can take load off Najee, so I add a guy at the end of the draft that I really like, some injury concerns, but at this point in the draft I love the value and I don't want to risk trying to sign him undrafted

Feel free to give your opinions, and lmk where I got it all wrong and I'm an idiot 🤣

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Been a long time since I've posted, but I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in

Your score is: 52641 (GRADE: A+)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 20: Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State (A+)

Didn't need to move down or do anything other than the normal Tomlin sprinting to the podium, one of the top OTs dropped right into my lap, yes please

Round 2 Pick 26 (BUF): Jalyn Armour-Davis, CB, Alabama (A+)

Was hoping for a talented ILB or DT to be here, but they'd been taken, and the others I like can wait. So I decided to trade back six spots and get an extra pick with several options on the table. I take a very talented CB who I'm surprised to see at this pick still even after I traded back, but I'm happy as this should help to strengthen that secondary that has struggled and now losing Haden (who doesn't have it anymore)

Still no ILB or DL I'm interested in taking at the value, so I continue to bulk up the Offensive trenches. I love this pick as this guy is an OT (could be a swing T) or most likely can be a starting G, either way I'm excited about the future of my OLine group

Round 4 Pick 26 (BUF): Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson (A+)

At some point in the draft we will draft a WR, even in seasons when it didn't look like we needed one, we'd take one. This season we will need to add some receiving threats, whether it's a route runner to take some pressure off Johnson, or a deep threat to open up Claypool. Ross is a very talented WR who will come in and compete immediately, and in the 4th Rd I believe I found unbelievable value with his skill set.

Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): Darrian Beavers, ILB/OLB, Cincinnati (A+)

Finally found the value at ILB with who was available, almost took Beavers with the first 4th rounder, but he's still here at our comp pick which is awesome. Darrian isn't going to wow in anyone one area, he's a very good and smart player who has played well in all areas of the ILB position.

Round 5 Pick 37 (IND): Brenton Cox, DE/OLB, Florida (A+)

Need pass rushing depth, and this guy has alot to like, most likely won't even get to the 5th round, but I felt he was the BPA at a position that desperately needs more depth

Round 6 Pick 36 (IND): PJ Mustipher, DT, Penn State (A+)

Loves the addition of Adams, and I feel he can be the starting NT, but it's possible we'll still need depth on the DL. Depends on Tuitt and Alualu, but the run D suffered tremendously from lack of depth in the defensive trenches.

Round 7 Pick 4: Quay Walker, ILB/OLB, Georgia (A+)

Can't have enough competition at this position, most sports writers are completely overlooking this position as a NEED. This is an ILB that group that was entirely underwhelming, and downright costing at times, give me as much competition as possible.

I'm not sure I'm fully invested in Snell and McFarland as guys who can take load off Najee, so I add a guy at the end of the draft that I really like, some injury concerns, but at this point in the draft I love the value and I don't want to risk trying to sign him undrafted

Feel free to give your opinions, and lmk where I got it all wrong and I'm an idiot 🤣
Loved your breakdown after your picks.👊

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Yeah, I share that concern. I wanted the Steelers to take a future QB in last year's draft, one very deep in QB talent. This year's QB pool is ****. I don't see a single guy that interests me long-term.
Ive come around on Pickett but i also think he will be off the board in the top ten… and I haven’t cone around to the point that he is worth trading up that high…

He also probably will need a little work getting him to roll out less…

But honestly this year you sit pat on QB …

If one of the options has a breakthrough season then great, if not you have more draft capital to get a guy the next season

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Last year that would have been doable….and people would have bitched like there was no tomorrow lol
I would take him in round 2. But yeah you are right. He is one of those QBs that will be pushed up the board high. Just not sure his value is more than low 1 early 2.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I would take him in round 2. But yeah you are right. He is one of those QBs that will be pushed up the board high. Just not sure his value is more than low 1 early 2.
had he had the year he did this year last year he would have been in that slot... this year there aren't many top end QBs with any size so he is going to go high.

Drafts are each unique. One year a guy might go in the first because of a dearth of talent, another year where his position is overwhelmed in prospects, he might go mid rounds..

there are some years where a guy who would be a first round pick in most drafts may fall into the third or fourth round because the position is really loaded and teams looking for the position are few and far between.

In any case qbs are overdrafted often in the first round... teams are desperate for them. they gamble way too often

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
had he had the year he did this year last year he would have been in that slot... this year there aren't many top end QBs with any size so he is going to go high.

Drafts are each unique. One year a guy might go in the first because of a dearth of talent, another year where his position is overwhelmed in prospects, he might go mid rounds..

there are some years where a guy who would be a first round pick in most drafts may fall into the third or fourth round because the position is really loaded and teams looking for the position are few and far between.

In any case qbs are overdrafted often in the first round... teams are desperate for them. they gamble way too often
When I was comparing him to QBs of past I kept looking for that QB that took until their 4th year to shine. Usually it is the 2/3 range. He could be a late bloomer or a maxed out try hard. I am still researching but I want to glue in on his pocket presence. Is he stepping up in the pocket getting a feel for the pass rush. Etc. But yeah this draft has a decent amount of size concern prospects. You know the teams will reach because that is what they do. I just prefer the Steelers don't join in the fray.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Ive come around on Pickett but i also think he will be off the board in the top ten… and I haven’t cone around to the point that he is worth trading up that high…

He also probably will need a little work getting him to roll out less…

But honestly this year you sit pat on QB …

If one of the options has a breakthrough season then great, if not you have more draft capital to get a guy the next season
They’d likely have to trade up to the top 2-3 spots to get Young or Stroud. Outside of that, I’m not seeing a group much better than what we are seeing now. Maybe a little more pure arm talent but a ton of question marks.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
They’d likely have to trade up to the top 2-3 spots to get Young or Stroud. Outside of that, I’m not seeing a group much better than what we are seeing now. Maybe a little more pure arm talent but a ton of question marks.
Meh hard to say until next year… you never know who breaks out or who regresses…

You also don’t know if we are drafting high or low yet…

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Meh hard to say until next year… you never know who breaks out or who regresses…

You also don’t know if we are drafting high or low yet…
A lot of variables for sure. I just keep hearing about next year’s QB class being better and outside of maybe the top two guys, it doesn’t seem much better.

What is interesting is we saw a lot of risers in the 2021 class and a lot of QBs fell out of the picture in the 2022 class. We need some risers next year.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Your score is: 52708 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 29 (K.C.): Tyler Smith, OT, Tulsa (A-)
Round 2 Pick 20: Christian Harris, ILB/OLB, Alabama (A-)
Round 2 Pick 29 (K.C.): Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati (A+)
Round 3 Pick 20: Tyler Davis, DT, Clemson (A)
Round 3 Pick 29 (K.C.): Channing Tindall, ILB/OLB, Georgia (A+)
Round 5 Pick 35 (COMP): Jacob Gall, C, Baylor (A+)
Round 5 Pick 36 (DET): Chris Paul, OG, Tulsa (A+)
Round 6 Pick 2 (DET): Jerrion Ealy, RB, Ole Miss (A+)
Round 6 Pick 37 (DET): Sevyn Banks, CB, Ohio State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4: Reggie Roberson Jr., WR, SMU (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Kolby Harvell-Peel, FS/SS, Oklahoma State (A+)

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Three drafts with three different strategies.

Draft 1:
1.20 Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
-One of the top cornerback prospects. Address a premium position with one of the best CBs in the draft.

2.52 Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota
-I feel like the Steelers are going to ride with Moore at LT. Relatively inexperienced and is only improving. Absolutely massive at 6'9" and 380 pounds. Serious about improving the ground game with this pick.

3.84 Sky Moore, WR, Western Michigan
-A playmaker at the wide receiver position. Fills a big hole at the slot position.

Draft 2:
1.20 Kenyon Green, OL, Texas A&M
-Can play OG or OT. I play him at guard and utilize his athleticism to reinvigorate the ground game.

2.52 Travis Jones, IDL, UConn
-A little concerned coming from a school like UConn, but he is a prototypical space eater nose tackle. Massive at 6'5" 333 lbs would add much-needed depth to the DL.

3.84 Max Mitchell, OT, Louisiana
-Small school prospect was PFF's top-rated OT in college football.

Draft 3:
1.20 Malik Willis, QB, Liberty
-A work in progress, he is potentially the QB with the biggest upside in this year's draft.

2.52 Chad Muma, ILB, Wyoming
-The Steelers can't seem to find an answer for this position. Very productive at Wyoming as a run defender and in coverage with three interceptions. Good size at 6'3" and 242 lbs.

3.84 Marcus Jones, CB, Houston
-Small, but a playmaker. Has nickelback potential and is a terrific returner.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Amen brother! I wouldn't be mad if we got the kid from tOSU either though...

I am becoming more and more a guy who does not believe OSU quarterbacks are NFL-caliber. Dwayne Haskins - tore it up in college, terrible so far in the pros. Justin Fields - looks lost.

We'll see with Stroud, I guess.